Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you ordered it from Grainger it will not be here til end of May/early June. They are on backorder but Grainger won't update their website even though I've complained multiple times about it. I had some that were supposed to be ready for pickup last week and still aren't.
I can confirm I just picked mine up at Grainger today, ordered 2 May 22. This one is for my mother. I went ahead and ordered another (today) to replace a Leviton in my garage. My other outlet is a Cooper (eaton) I pulled from the kitchen since the cable would reach the garage too. This Bryant looks a touch nicer than the Cooper which I was on the verge of ordering the Eaton replacement in case this Grainger Bryant didn't arrive in time. And both make that Leviton trash not worth my dryer.

Today's order
Expected pickup date Jun 03 - Jun 07, 2:00pm 😂 we will see.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Just for my information, since Tesla UMC doesn't need a neutral wire, can we just use a 6/2 or 8/2 wire with ground wire for the 14-50 adapter outlet? I know 6-50 adapter is exactly meant for it; but just curious to know about 14-50 and skipping the neutral wire to increase flexibility in wiring outlets and pulling through the panel..etc?
Those two things don't really have anything to do with each other. Don't install an outlet improperly in your house. A 14-XX type of outlet needs to have a neutral. Not having it is dangerous if other things plug into it.

Thanks for confirming. 14-50 outlets would be more widely available to use at a friend's or elsewhere compared to 6-50; hence make sense to have the 14-50 adapter to use.
Then get both a 6-50 and a 14-50. Use each wherever there is an outlet of that type, but don't do incorrect outlet installations on purpose.

Those two things don't really have anything to do with each other. Don't install an outlet improperly in your house. A 14-XX type of outlet needs to have a neutral. Not having it is dangerous if other things plug into it.

Then get both a 6-50 and a 14-50. Use each wherever there is an outlet of that type, but don't do incorrect outlet installations on purpose.
Thanks..I have now decided with 6-50 and will later get the 14-50 for commute or a 14-50 to 6-50 adapter if required :) Ordered the Bryant 6-50R and the Leviton wallplate with 2.4" hole. My electrician offered to install for $150 since all materials I'm purchasing and for a 2 ft install from panel.

Reactions: Genie and Rocky_H
I can confirm I just picked mine up at Grainger today, ordered 2 May 22. This one is for my mother. I went ahead and ordered another (today) to replace a Leviton in my garage. My other outlet is a Cooper (eaton) I pulled from the kitchen since the cable would reach the garage too. This Bryant looks a touch nicer than the Cooper which I was on the verge of ordering the Eaton replacement in case this Grainger Bryant didn't arrive in time. And both make that Leviton trash not worth my dryer.

Today's order
Expected pickup date Jun 03 - Jun 07, 2:00pm 😂 we will see.
Welp true to word this time, ready for pickup this morning, order processed yesterday. Seems like stock is back, at least in GA.

Reading through this thread just shows me what little I know about electrical wiring! But I do know a few things about my current set up I hope you wire gods can help me with.

I have a 6-50 outlet on a dedicated circuit with a 60 amp breaker that is wired with wire that is labelled "Romex Simpull Awg 10 CU 3 CDR with Awg 10 ground." Pulling back the sheathing it has 4 wires, Black, Red, White, Ground. The circuit was installed by an electrician when I purchased the house. Being a welder by trade I use this outlet for side work done at home. I was wanting to buy the Tesla Wall Connector and use a 6-50 pigtail to wire it so that I could retain the outlet for use with my welder. My commute to work is quite long, hence the switch to a Tesla, and I feel like the increased charging speed of the wall connector is needed.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Is my current circuit acceptable to use with the wall connector and/or mobile charger?

2. What is the general consensus on using a pigtail to wire up the wall charger instead of hard wiring it?

3. Since the wire in the wall has all 4 wires should I switch to a 14-50 and try to find an adapter for my welders? Is that possible or even worth it?

Any info you sparkys have would be great!!!

Reading through this thread just shows me what little I know about electrical wiring! But I do know a few things about my current set up I hope you wire gods can help me with.

I have a 6-50 outlet on a dedicated circuit with a 60 amp breaker that is wired with wire that is labelled "Romex Simpull Awg 10 CU 3 CDR with Awg 10 ground." Pulling back the sheathing it has 4 wires, Black, Red, White, Ground. The circuit was installed by an electrician when I purchased the house. Being a welder by trade I use this outlet for side work done at home. I was wanting to buy the Tesla Wall Connector and use a 6-50 pigtail to wire it so that I could retain the outlet for use with my welder. My commute to work is quite long, hence the switch to a Tesla, and I feel like the increased charging speed of the wall connector is needed.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Is my current circuit acceptable to use with the wall connector and/or mobile charger?

2. What is the general consensus on using a pigtail to wire up the wall charger instead of hard wiring it?

3. Since the wire in the wall has all 4 wires should I switch to a 14-50 and try to find an adapter for my welders? Is that possible or even worth it?

Any info you sparkys have would be great!!!
Your current circuit isn't even acceptable to use with a welder! That looks like 10AWG wiring, good for 30 amps(24 continuous like on an EV charging event), and you have a SIXTY amp breaker on it? Even the outlet itself isn't rated to handle 60 amps.

1) yes, you can use that wiring with a wall connector, dialed back to have a 30 amp breaker setting, and replacing the current 60 amp breaker with a 30 amp breaker. If you plan to use the UMC, you should replace the outlet with a 6-30 or 14-30, probably the latter.

2) its not allowed, but lots of people do lots of things that are not allowed.

3) you shouldn't be using the 6-50 right now. Its a hazard. It should be no more than a 14-30.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Your current circuit isn't even acceptable to use with a welder! That looks like 10AWG wiring, good for 30 amps(24 continuous like on an EV charging event), and you have a SIXTY amp breaker on it? Even the outlet itself isn't rated to handle 60 amps.

1) yes, you can use that wiring with a wall connector, dialed back to have a 30 amp breaker setting, and replacing the current 60 amp breaker with a 30 amp breaker. If you plan to use the UMC, you should replace the outlet with a 6-30 or 14-30, probably the latter.

2) its not allowed, but lots of people do lots of things that are not allowed.

3) you shouldn't be using the 6-50 right now. Its a hazard. It should be no more than a 14-30.

Well that's extremely upsetting, but thank you for the info.

What could I do to bring it up to code? Would replacing the 10 awg wire with something else, perhaps 6 awg?, be acceptable and allow me to get the most out of the circuit?

Also, since running a pig tail is unacceptable. If I hard wired the wall connector, would there be a way to keep the outlet and have a switch up stream of both of them so that only one could get power at a time thus still making it a dedicated circuit? If that even makes sense...

Last edited:

What could I do to bring it up to code? Would replacing the 10 awg wire with something else, perhaps 6 awg?, be acceptable and allow me to get the most out of the circuit?

Also, since running a pig tail is unacceptable. If I hard wired the wall connector, would there be a way to keep the outlet and have a switch up stream of both of them so that only one could get power at a time thus still making it a dedicated circuit? If that even makes sense...
If you want to retain the 6-50 outlet for the welder, replace the wiring with wiring that can handle 50A, and use a 50A breaker.

An EVSE plugged into that can do up to 40A.

Reactions: MSM_M3LR

Yes, replacing the wire with 6AWG would be good for 50 amps, and that's as high of a breaker you should put in if you intend to keep using the welder/outlet on the plug.

Why not run another 6awg wire alongside the current wire and just make a dedicated EV charging circuit, or make it 4 awg and you could re-use the 60 amp breaker you have and get a little more juice from it.

There are definitely dual-throw switches that can deal with 50-60 amps(or more) but they will all be much more expensive then just making a whole new dedicated EV charging circuit.

And the age old question... how much charging speed do you really >need< ?

Welders usually require some code-bending creativity like oversized breakers and GFCI omission so the NEC basically leaves it up to you to wire those circuits however you want, figuring that you’ll be right there and mechanically inclined to handle any fires you cause.

EV charging is the opposite due to the typically continuous, unattended, unskilled, overnight current draw. To make one outlet well suited for both use cases will require some code-bending creativity (and risk) of your own.

AWG 10 is fine for your wall charger and will provide charge times of 5-10 hours but that wiring really isn’t great for welding no matter how you connect it.

The easiest solution is to just hard-wire the wall charger on that circuit, swap the breaker to 30A (not GFCI) and either give up on welding or install a better welding outlet elsewhere. Perhaps on the other side of the garage to be later converted to a second charger.

Reactions: MSM_M3LR
I had a 14-50 outlet installed by an electrician(not sure which brand of outlet he has used). Is it normal for the socket to be super tight. We tried pushing the charger in with decent pressure and it didnt go in. We didnt want to damage the charger so stopped applying excessive pressure. Checking to see if this is normal.

I had a 14-50 outlet installed by an electrician(not sure which brand of outlet he has used). Is it normal for the socket to be super tight. We tried pushing the charger in with decent pressure and it didnt go in. We didnt want to damage the charger so stopped applying excessive pressure. Checking to see if this is normal.
I would say that is pretty normal, and is a good sign that it's starting off with good pressure and not loose. I've seen someone else report that too, where they stopped trying to push it in because of worrying about damage. The blades on 14-50 plugs are noticeably really thick to have low resistance, so it's going to have to spread those prongs inside the outlet a fair bit and takes some force. That should be fine.

Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes nothing. I have a 14-50 outlet installed under a overhang which will stay dry, but my car is parked in the rain. Can I charge using the mobile connector that the car came with while it’s pouring rain as long as the outlet stays dry?

Reactions: Jeepxj
I agree, TMC would be wise to blend/separate topics accordingly. Most of the 3/Y threads should be blended and the same could be said for S/X as well as further complications to come.

I doubt that a bunch of grouped subforums would be successful (e.g. "Tesla - All Models" or "Tesla - 3/Y"), but allowing the topic creator to select S/3/X/Y/etc. for their topic and then crossposting accordingly would be very useful. This 14-50 thread for example, absolutely belongs in the Model 3 subforum where we will find it, but absolutely should be in all the other forums as well.