Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Energy products and Tax discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I thought that went without saying. But you are still liable in both cases like I said.
In your prior post you said "Intent or lack thereof has absolutely zero to do with law", so now it goes without saying that intent does matter?
We were discussing in the context of the IRS where ignorance is not a real defense though.
In the case of tax law ignorance is an actual defense.

However, in 1933 the Supreme Court set criminal tax laws apart from other criminal statutes by providing that ignorance of the law is a defense to a criminal tax prosecution. See United States v. Murdock, 290 U.S. 2 389, 396 (1933). Allowing ignorance of the law as a defense to criminal tax prosecution is due in large part to the complexity of the tax laws.
Subjective Test. A defendant's good faith belief that he is not violating the tax laws, no matter how objectively unreasonable that belief may be, is a defense in a tax prosecution. Cheek v. United States, 498 U.S. 192, 199-201 (1991). See also, United States v. Grunewald, 987 F.2d 531, 535-36 (8th Cir. 1993); United States v. Pensyl, 387 F.3d 456, 459 (6th Cir. 2004)

Reactions: lensovet
In your prior post you said "Intent or lack thereof has absolutely zero to do with law", so now it goes without saying that intent does matter?
Part of me thinks you are purposely attempting to misconstrue what I am saying...

As it pertains to the topic of discussion on these last few posts, it has zero to do with it. My comments are solely related to the topic at hand and are not to be used out of context.

Note what I stated right after your quoted words: "If I run over someone with my car "without intent" does that matter? No, it doesn't; I am still liable."

Reading comprehension would tell you that I am not opining on how much liability you would have, I am merely stating you have liability regardless. That was the topic of the conversation.

For criminal tax defense which again, is not the topic at hand. Grid charging doesn't rise to anywhere near that level. We are so far off from the topic at hand now...which was the following in my estimation:

There isn't an IRS ruling or Treasury regulation on grid charging, just a PLR which has no authority outside of the specific taxpayer who requested it for his/her specific case.

There is also no statute that states anything about where the battery power must be derived from in order to claim the tax credit.

My point this entire time is that there is no law/statute/code that says if you grid charge you can't take the full tax credit. Does that mean the IRS can't still come after you? No, it most certainly does not. The gov't generally does whatever they want.

I personally would not be worried, but YMMV. I suggest everyone talk to their own tax advisor and see what risk profile fits his/her own needs.

Cheers

Last edited:
So after all the back and forth, it's still ambiguous. Assuming one had an old install, does one fall under the rules/guidelines of previous tax policy or the new IRA? I would assume old installs fall under old policy.

These 3 articles state pretty much the same thing and sounds like you need to solar charge 100%. People should do their own research and even though Jeremy3292 isn't worried to grid charge off-peak and export all on-peak, he is doing a post IRA battery install so that might be different from your case.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
So after all the back and forth, it's still ambiguous. Assuming one had an old install, does one fall under the rules/guidelines of previous tax policy or the new IRA? I would assume old installs fall under old policy.

These 3 articles state pretty much the same thing and sounds like you need to solar charge 100%. People should do their own research and even though Jeremy3292 isn't worried to grid charge off-peak and export all on-peak, he is doing a post IRA battery install so that might be different from your case.

Agreed, as we got extremely off track in this thread.

But remember that a PLR has no authority of law, code, or statute and may not be cited as precedent in any case. It ONLY applies to the specific taxpayer that requested it and his/her exact circumstances. It is certainly up to each individual person to weigh his/her own risk profile.

Cheers

I think it may be worth taking a step back.
Prior to the IRA, the statute for the ITC only said renewable energy systems were eligible for the credit. So the question was whether a battery was part of the renewable energy system if it was installed after the solar system. The Private Letter Ruling addressed this and clarified that as long as it was charged 100% from solar (for a residential system), the battery qualified for the credit.
There is a second question on what should happen if the battery programming is changed later so it no longer qualifies. As far as I'm aware, there is no clawback for the residential ITC. If you install a solar system on your house and then sell your house a year later, you don't need to return the tax credit. For commercial systems, you would owe 80% of the ITC back.
The conclusion if you were to extrapolate to the battery is that the battery only needs to be charged 100% from solar when it is first installed. This doesn't seem right, which is why some of us take the view that the 5 year pro-ration is more reasonable. It is worth noting, though, that the statute has nothing to say on this subject. The IRS could interpret the law differently if it comes up in an audit.

Materiality is a concept or convention within auditing and accounting relating to the importance/significance of an amount, transaction, or discrepancy. - from Wikipedia

In my case, I have a tiny system. As a retiree, my income is so low that it took three years to write off the credit. The IRS would go back only three years to audit my return unless culpable negligence has been evidenced. In my case, it's not worth anyone's time to mess with for a claw back. Just my opinion, but any other poor folks should get some perspective before they fret about all this.

David

But remember that a PLR has no authority of law, code, or statute and may not be cited as precedent in any case. It ONLY applies to the specific taxpayer that requested it and his/her exact circumstances. It is certainly up to each individual person to weigh his/her own risk profile.
I’m not sure how to make this any more clear, but pre-IRA, the ITC made zero mention of energy storage systems. The only reason batteries qualified was because they could be considered a renewable resource because you’re charging them with solar.

That’s the law (or was the law), and it’s pretty cut and dry. Not sure why you’re trying to make it more ambiguous or complicated than it is. Unless your grid was 100% renewable, a grid-charged battery would not apply.

As has been pointed out above though, since there’s no claw-back provision, if the battery is set up to be charged by solar but then is switched to be grid-powered, it appears that there would be no repercussions. But that’s completely different from claiming that the ITC has no requirement for batteries (installed prior to 2023) to be charged by solar.

I’m not sure how to make this any more clear, but pre-IRA, the ITC made zero mention of energy storage systems. The only reason batteries qualified was because they could be considered a renewable resource because you’re charging them with solar.
Yes, I agree.
That’s the law (or was the law), and it’s pretty cut and dry. Not sure why you’re trying to make it more ambiguous or complicated than it is. Unless your grid was 100% renewable, a grid-charged battery would not apply.
Yes, I agree.
As has been pointed out above though, since there’s no claw-back provision, if the battery is set up to be charged by solar but then is switched to be grid-powered, it appears that there would be no repercussions. But that’s completely different from claiming that the ITC has no requirement for batteries (installed prior to 2023) to be charged by solar.
I don't believe I ever claimed the "ITC has no requirement for batteries to be charged by solar."

The entire discussion here has been surrounded by the fact that everyone HAS SOLAR already with their batteries and the batteries are charged by solar almost all or most of the time. There has been no discussion around someone just having a random standalone battery without solar and trying to qualify for tax credits under the old ITC.

The paramount question has been "If I grid charge my battery at all, does that void or clawback any portion of the previously claimed ITC tax credit?"

And my response has been the same: There is no law/statute/code that says if you grid charge your battery 0.01% or more it disqualifies you from claiming the tax credit or clawing back the tax credit.

You are of course still free to say "I am uncomfortable" or "my risk profile doesn't align with that." But what you can't say is that there is any provision that states you are disqualified from the tax credit if you solar charge X% and grid charge X% of the time.

Additionally, the statute of limitations for the IRS gives them 3 years from the return due date to audit you (unless you grossly misrepresented your income by 25% or more). I imagine most people on here who claimed that old credit have already passed that window or are close to passing that window now so the point is almost moot.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a question about the 30% federal tax credit.

If I buy a $3000 solar generator now and claim a 30% tax credit on it, does this mean that I can't claim another 30% tax credit on a potential $40K solar/powerwall install later down the line for the same house? Thanks.

@Notadog, the way I read this, it can be done once. But, it could possibly be construed as 'once' per install. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

'It’s essential to note that you can only claim the credit once. '

But can you cumulate the billing from separate contractors and vendors?
For mine, I did. I had several pre-work costs that I incurred - including cameras for the roof (shading planning/monitoring), Emporia energy monitor system, electrical prep work, and a few other items. I added those to the Tesla bill for entering into my tax incentive. I have all the receipts categorized by my accountant, all the IRS requests is a total amount.

I don't think Forbes is a reliable reference for this. On energy.gov (Homeowner’s Guide to the Federal Tax Credit for Solar Photovoltaics) there is this FAQ:

IS THERE A DOLLAR OR LIFETIME LIMIT ON THE FEDERAL SOLAR TAX CREDIT?​

No, there is neither a dollar limit nor is there a lifetime limit on the tax credit. The credit is only limited to 30% of qualified expenditures made for property placed in service in a given year.
My reading of this is that you get the credit on any project as long as it meets the requirements of the program. Whether a portable solar generator meets those requirements may be more debatable.

'It’s essential to note that you can only claim the credit once. '
I don't believe this is correct (per CPA).

But can you cumulate the billing from separate contractors and vendors?
Yes. For example, we had Powerwalls and panels installed by separate vendors and were able to request credit for both (at the time because the PWs were installed with the solar).

Agreed 100%. Cash flow up front is the only thing as it’s $40k cash with the tax credit cash coming later after filing my return, but I’ll likely just withhold a lot less from my paychecks so I can “take the credit” throughout the year. Not taking a loan to buy solar panels. Also SC limits the tax credit to $3,500 per year with a 10 year carry forward. So I’ll get all the money back it just takes a few years.

I’m unsure of how much electricity I’ll use with the heat pump as my current house has natural gas like I said. I’ve been doing some math based on my current house sq footage and usage, but I’ll need some power bills at the new house to really know for sure. Doesn’t usually get lower than 25-30 degrees at night during the winter here, so the heat pump should be very efficient.

I feel like 10 kW solar panels + 2 Powerwall’s seems like plenty for future proofing but we will see.

Fun fact Tesla dropped the price of solar panels 3% overnight, at least in my area. $932 vs $960 per panel.

How many years can I carry forward the newly "Federal residential solar energy credit" that was passed recently? I understand it's 30% now for 2022-2032, so can you carry it out that far to 2032?

Installed solar + 2 PWs in 2020 and got the credit. Installed an additional PW in 2022 and got the credit again on just the PW.
Can you keep carrying forward the solar credit balance leftover for each tax year until it zeroes out? The IRS website general faq says you can carry forward any leftover solar credit to the "next" year, but other sites mention you can carry the leftover balance forward for multiple tax years.

Reactions: EIon MusI<