Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD for V10 2019.32.12.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might be location bias, but creep is incredibly helpful for inclines all the way to the very steep 18% grades of San Francisco where I live...and as an added plus, feels smoother for my passengers and me when negotiating with indecisive drivers. Unlike many manual cars I've driven, with those cars I can aid in saving my clutch and have a quick back-up with the handbrake...not so much in this car. And this car really doesn't like two pedal driving haha.
Looking forward to continued updates, regardless.

Glad they have the release number. One of the things I dislike the most about these ‘feature stories’ is that they never/seldom include a release number.

Just be aware that it appears the new features are actually in 2019.36.x, not 2019.32.12.4. (And it was just on Wednesday that Tesla said that the new features/performance would be available in a few weeks.)

• Informative
Reactions: Kmartyn
Yeah, but what does that have to do with switching profiles that are already configured? (I'm pretty sure that someone has said that that works.)
Didnt work for me when I tried it a few months back. Tried making a profile for garage parking, but need to switch to park to get creep to actually turn on or off.

Tried again. Still didn't work.

IMG_20191028_092400.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Ok so that’s a downer. It’s funny how some people are so against creep because somehow it’s a legacy thing. Absolutely baloney. I learned on a 5MT (actually it might have been a 4MT). Anyway, point is before I’d ever driven an automatic transmission there were times where I wished it were easier to roll forward a little, or roll back a little - while using the brake for modulation, especially on inclines. It’s objectively easier to park in a tight space when you have the equivalent of Creep enabled.

Case in point, - my Tesla sales rep whom I later became friends with - was anti-creep because it was legacy/outdated blah blah (even setting aside that we still have steering wheels and pedals and windows and trunks etc - I mean come on, it’s still a car...). I had him try and park his own Model 3 he’s had a year now - in a tight parallel parked space, and in my garage without Creep. It was hilarious watching him try. Absolutely hilarious. Rolling back and forth, moving his foot to the brake in panic etc.

Creep makes it easier and/or POSSIBLE to park in many situations without it being stressful or a nuisance. I’ll upload a video at some point of parking in my garage. Good luck without Creep.

Ok so that’s a downer. It’s funny how some people are so against creep because somehow it’s a legacy thing. Absolutely baloney. I learned on a 5MT (actually it might have been a 4MT). Anyway, point is before I’d ever driven an automatic transmission there were times where I wished it were easier to roll forward a little, or roll back a little - while using the brake for modulation, especially on inclines. It’s objectively easier to park in a tight space when you have the equivalent of Creep enabled.

Case in point, - my Tesla sales rep whom I later became friends with - was anti-creep because it was legacy/outdated blah blah (even setting aside that we still have steering wheels and pedals and windows and trunks etc - I mean come on, it’s still a car...). I had him try and park his own Model 3 he’s had a year now - in a tight parallel parked space, and in my garage without Creep. It was hilarious watching him try. Absolutely hilarious. Rolling back and forth, moving his foot to the brake in panic etc.

Creep makes it easier and/or POSSIBLE to park in many situations without it being stressful or a nuisance. I’ll upload a video at some point of parking in my garage. Good luck without Creep.
I totally agree with the creep enable for parking. Like I said earlier, I wish there was a simple tap to enable it for those situations. In my garage there is a slight lip/transition from the driveway to the garage. Even in my wife's Bolt having 'creep' on makes it much easier to get over this transition which is around 1.5" so you need a decent amount of momentum or a tap of the accelerator to get the car in the garage. Its easy on her car because I can get in and out of creep with a quick flip of the shifter. On my model 3 because I'd have to go into park (even with a different profile as I posted above), I resort to having some ugly wood blocks outside of the garage to make the transition easier to manage....

Heck, we are getting 'true' one pedal driving in the latest update so maybe this will be another feature coming....while we are at it, it would be good to have an easy way to flip between low and standard regen....again, this is something I got very used to in both of my Volts and my wife's Bolt. When on the highway its nice to switch to standard regen mode. This is something that can be managed through driver profiles, but that is still a few clicks/cumbersome vs a flick of a switch you dont need to look at....

I actually think it’s important to have both. Creep is safer in so many ways, especially for tight parallel parking not on flat surfaces, or trying to inch out from stop signs where you can’t see well. In my garage I have to park around 2 inches from my wall. Without creep this is near impossible. Covering the brake is just safer in these cases.

Anyway, very interested to see how this new feature will behave with Creep enabled.

So sometimes when you release the accelerator, you want the car to slow to a complete stop.

But other times when you release the accelerator, you want the car to slow to ~5 mph, and add power to hold that speed as needed.

And the car is supposed to knows which one is which even though your behavior is the same.

The obvious way to implement one pedal driving is to only allow it with creep disabled.

Otherwise you’re asking the car to try to decide when you want it to creep and not, and undoubtedly folks will complain and possibly get in accidents if the car guesses your intent wrong.

Reactions: diamond.g
Very much this.

No - I too use it as @WilliamG explains. It allows much more precise positioning. I too am in a tight garage parking situation and it is made much easier with creep - feathering my brake pedal.
Hmm. I have a precision parking situation in my garage, and have never used Creep Mode. Just gentle use of the accelerator. Yet I see your point. It's worked fine for me with Creep off. So long as my wife doesn't tickle my driving leg at a critical moment.

I would welcome one-pedal driving!

So sometimes when you release the accelerator, you want the car to slow to a complete stop.

But other times when you release the accelerator, you want the car to slow to ~5 mph, and add power to hold that speed as needed.

And the car is supposed to knows which one is which even though your behavior is the same.

The obvious way to implement one pedal driving is to only allow it with creep disabled.

Otherwise you’re asking the car to try to decide when you want it to creep and not, and undoubtedly folks will complain and possibly get in accidents if the car guesses your intent wrong.

There are of ways for it to be implemented while keeping Creep enabled while using this true one-pedal driving. I’ve not read anything suggesting it won’t work with the latest update. We’ll see, of course.

For one thing, it could use geolocation to bypass one pedal driving while at my house. That would be something!