Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD for V10 2019.32.12.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Creep is absolutely a feature. All those videos you see of jerky instant acceleration into walls are because they have creep off. It's just easier and more effortless to let off the brake an inch than to push accelerator by a few mm. Not to mention, if you're in drive, the car shouldn't be rolling backwards and vice versa. I don't get why so many Tesla owners love being contrarians against ICE cars for no practical reason other than to be different.

Creep is absolutely a feature. All those videos you see of jerky instant acceleration into walls are because they have creep off.

Do you have evidence to support this claim?

Most of the cases I've read of have been because someone pushed the accelerator when they thought they were pushing the brake pedal - a more likely problem if you have creep on, because they were "creeping" through the parking lot with their feet off of both pedals and got confused when they reached for the brake.

I tried both for extended periods, and I feel like I have more control with creep off. I've had cars where it'd be hard to deal with slopes that way, but with vehicle hold and Tesla's very progressive accelerator it really isn't a problem in my experience.

Creep is absolutely a feature. All those videos you see of jerky instant acceleration into walls are because they have creep off. It's just easier and more effortless to let off the brake an inch than to push accelerator by a few mm. Not to mention, if you're in drive, the car shouldn't be rolling backwards and vice versa. I don't get why so many Tesla owners love being contrarians against ICE cars for no practical reason other than to be different.
Coming from a manual transmission I absolutely hate creep.

Creep is a bug, not a feature. It only exists because vehicle manufacturers were not successful in engineering it out of automatic transmissions and torque converters way back when... I vehemently dislike creep.
On a Tesla (which is what we are all talking about), it is very much a feature. You may not use (absolutely your choice), but don't begrudge those of us who do (and don't feel the need to say how much they vehemently dislike lack of creep).

I think most all of the "Easter eggs" (in quotes as they aren't really Easter eggs since you can select them in a menu) are stupid. But I don't go around talking crap about them.

Why would anyone want creep mode anyway?
Several people (myself included) have stated why - read the thread. Also, the VAST MAJORITY of people who will own a 3 will most likely prefer it (if they even know they have a choice). Let's face it: the people who actively post on this board a but a sliver of the total M3 ownership. Most people won't get past knowing how to do the basics (drive and charge). That's their prerogative. You and I (and most people on this board), want to learn more and each have our own experiences. There's no need to question other's usage.

I would welcome one-pedal driving!
I would too - I try to do it now as much as possible. I'm still amusing myself to see how close I can get to where I need to stop from full street speed before I take my foot off the accelerator yet allow the car to get to the point of coasting - the less coasting the better. Still need some more practice though.

Reactions: CharleyBC
If you hate creep, turn it off!
If you love creep, turn it on!
Everyone gets what they want. How can this possibly be controversial?
Surely no one is suggesting that their preference be imposed on everyone. Or are they?

There you go. I personally have much better control without creep. But use it or don't. Who cares? Just don't champion the idea of universal truth in creep. It's creepy..........

• Funny
Reactions: Kabillyhop
Several people (myself included) have stated why - read the thread. Also, the VAST MAJORITY of people who will own a 3 will most likely prefer it (if they even know they have a choice). Let's face it: the people who actively post on this board a but a sliver of the total M3 ownership. Most people won't get past knowing how to do the basics (drive and charge). That's their prerogative. You and I (and most people on this board), want to learn more and each have our own experiences. There's no need to question other's usage.

It was a joke silly .. "Creep mode" .. "halloween" .. geddit? :)

And I've no idea how many ppl use it. Is it on by default? As you say, most ppl probably never notice it and assume "all cars behave like automatic transmissions, dont they?". My guess would be many ppl would prefer it OFF if they tried it for a while, but that's only my opinion. I'm sure regen braking (on by default) takes people by surprise too, but I'm sure they get used to it and love it after a short while. However, I'm certainly not advocating removing an option just because I dont use it.