Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm debating on subscribing to the monthly FSD for an upcoming 2000 mile road trip with the family... but would it be worth it? My 2021 M3SR+ already has basic autopilot, and I can park by myself, have no need to use summon, and I don't mind manually switching lanes on the highway. What am I missing that would make the $200/month worth it?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I will venture an answer even though I don't personally have my Tesla yet. Based on everything I understand and the reported experiences of people who are just trying out paid FSD, I would suggest that you should only do it if you are willing to read up onto first and your family is pretty interested and forgiving of an experimental/learning process.

Don't do it if you think it's going to be a magic button that lets you impress the family regarding the fantastic AI performance on the highway.

There are quite a few people who really do think NoA is excellent, but there's a learning curve regarding exactly how to use it to best advantage and not get into unexpected behavior that may require you to modify your established highway driving habits. If it were me, I would read the manual carefully, use it myself on some test drives and decide that yes I do like how it's working, all before messing around with it while the family is in the car.

OTOH if your kid(s) are very enthused and your spouse is a good sport, just the process of experiencing it together could make the trip more interesting.

Lane changes are not great. Reminds me of lane changes in movies where they exaggerate transitions. Wish it could be smoother with more gentle turns. Also, there are going to be times where your signal just stays on forever and the car won't move over.

I just want EAP and green light chime.

Lane changes are not great. Reminds me of lane changes in movies where they exaggerate transitions. Wish it could be smoother with more gentle turns. Also, there are going to be times where your signal just stays on forever and the car won't move over.

I just want EAP and green light chime.

EAP is literally everything in FSD right now, minus the light behavior you also want.

So what you want appears to be... FSD.

EAP is literally everything in FSD right now, minus the light behavior you also want.

So what you want appears to be... FSD.
No, I want them to bring back EAP. I don't want navigate on city streets, smart summon or traffic control recognition. I actually don't even need navigate on freeways either. I just want AP to stay on with lane changes. I should have bought the $4000 option that was there when I bought the car last October.

It's like buying a bag of trailmix just to get some m&m's. Sure the bag has m&m's and the other stuff are probably good too but I really just wanted some m&m's.

Last edited:
No, I want them to bring back EAP. I don't want navigate on city streets, smart summon or traffic control recognition.

city streets isn't currently available to the general public with either thing.

Smart summon is included in BOTH FSD AND EAP.

So is lane changing in both things.

Beep at green, the only other thing you mentioned wanting, is ONLY in FSD.

I actually don't even need navigate on freeways either. I just want AP to stay on with lane changes. I should have bought the $4000 option that was there when I bought the car last October.

Not sure what $4000 option you're referring to.... EAP hasn't been offered to US customers since ~March 2019.... and FSD has been significantly more than 4k for non-EAP customers since then too.

city streets isn't currently available to the general public with either thing.

Smart summon is included in BOTH FSD AND EAP.

So is lane changing in both things.

Beep at green, the only other thing you mentioned wanting, is ONLY in FSD.

Not sure what $4000 option you're referring to.... EAP hasn't been offered to US customers since ~March 2019.... and FSD has been significantly more than 4k for non-EAP customers since then too.

EAP.jpeg

Sept 19, 2020

Ah, weird... yeah looks like they brought EAP back for... like 10 days? Then killed it again.

Pretty strange choice on their part for anything other than pumping Q3 numbers last year.

Appreciate the correction though.
No worries. It’s hard to keep up with Tesla. Constantly changing and revising. Anyway some people theorized EAP would come back along with subscription FSD but I guess that’s not the case.

FSD adds stress to your drive. :) "Tessie, take me to the bank." "Holy crap, whoa, look out, damn, hang on, look out, son of a bitch." o_O

Since the vast majority of the people in the FSD test pool are employee's of Tesla, I wonder if they get paid to drive as well as getting paid for their regular job?

I almost wonder if being test drivers IS their job? Personally, seeing the way it operates my feeling is that it should be in the hands of professional drivers during this alpha phase that they are calling Beta.

Keith

FSD adds stress to your drive. :) "Tessie, take me to the bank." "Holy crap, whoa, look out, damn, hang on, look out, son of a bitch." o_O
Wow, posting multiple videos that all of us with a pulse have already seen. I guess you don't like FSD, much?

I would welcome FSD for city streets, and will not feel more stressed, just as I haven't been more stressed with AP/TACC (more recently FSD) on highways over the past six years. But I understand your OPINION, and beseech you to not purchase it till you won't feel so stressed.

Reactions: FSD_Scribe
1. I am wondering what feature the next realease of FSD to the public could possibly be to further entice FSD subscription to the public? Something that will be safe for general public. The "red light has turned green" chime is a good one, but hardly worth the price of FSD.
The on the screen "Car's point of view" that you see on all these Beta Tester's you tube videos. Still not worth the price of FSD.

2. Hardware 4.0? There is an image of a multi- chip CPU" recently circulating around on the internet. It is 25 interconnected chips in one plane on one what appears to be one heat sink. The close coupling architecture of these chips could be more energy efficient and generating less heat. It would be able to perform one incredible amount of processing for the neural networking without taking up as much space as conventional architecture (multiple boards). Is this hardware 4.0 that will be needed for actual FSD city streets? If so, would this come as no additional charge to upgrade if you paid $10,000. If you only subscribed then would be charged for a hardware upgrade? lots of questions. August 19, AI day is only 11 days away.

Reactions: mewantcookiez
1. I am wondering what feature the next realease of FSD to the public could possibly be to further entice FSD subscription to the public? Something that will be safe for general public. The "red light has turned green" chime is a good one, but hardly worth the price of FSD.
The on the screen "Car's point of view" that you see on all these Beta Tester's you tube videos. Still not worth the price of FSD.

What is being tested in the beta- driving on city streets- is the next feature. It's listed right in the product description.

Has been since 2019 at this point.

2. Hardware 4.0? There is an image of a multi- chip CPU" recently circulating around on the internet. It is 25 interconnected chips in one plane on one what appears to be one heat sink. The close coupling architecture of these chips could be more energy efficient and generating less heat. It would be able to perform one incredible amount of processing for the neural networking without taking up as much space as conventional architecture (multiple boards). Is this hardware 4.0 that will be needed for actual FSD city streets? If so, would this come as no additional charge to upgrade if you paid $10,000. If you only subscribed then would be charged for a hardware upgrade? lots of questions. August 19, AI day is only 11 days away.

At autonomy day they said about a 3x improvement for HW4. That's all the details officially known about it.

Based on previous statements and actions from Tesla, if HW4 were required for FSD then anybody who bought FSD would get the upgrade for free.

Subscriptions do not include any hardware upgrades.