Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Matrix LED Headlights Retrofit Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say I absolutely enjoy these threads on the lights. While at first I was disappointed I just missed the cutoff as I was inclined toward the new headlights when I saw them. The more this plays out, the less FOMO I have. I absolutely don't like the rear lights on a white car as much as I do the old ones.

I do hope the headlights are a possible retrofit in case they do something actually worthwhile with the matrix lights. I'd love to have options and depending on the price and actual improvements, I might consider it. If from a cost/benefit perspective it might make more sense to just upgrade the car in a year or two and get whatever new updates they have then.

Anyway, kudos to everyone who helps move the needle on this enterprise.
The gloss black bar works so well (visually) with the gloss black diffuser. And even more so if you add a gloss carbon fiber trunk spoiler to the white car.
And the added touch is the free black chrome "TESLA" license plate frame they gave me for the rear (gave every Model S owner?)

Reactions: DayTrippin
The gloss black bar works so well (visually) with the gloss black diffuser. And even more so if you add a gloss carbon fiber trunk spoiler to the white car.
And the added touch is the free black chrome "TESLA" license plate frame they gave me for the rear (gave every Model S owner?)
I thought about adding the spoiler. Just not sure how well it would stick on the PPF or if it would cause issues with the PPF.

How did you get a black chrome license plate holder? I got the crappy, already rusting, chrome one. Surprised it doesn't say Model Y on it. I l already tossed it in the trash and will look for better if I use a frame.

I thought about adding the spoiler. Just not sure how well it would stick on the PPF or if it would cause issues with the PPF.

How did you get a black chrome license plate holder? I got the crappy, already rusting, chrome one. Surprised it doesn't say Model Y on it. I l already tossed it in the trash and will look for better if I use a frame.
Came on the car when I picked it up in February. I was suprised. Looks REALLY nice against the white. Extra points if you add in a (slightly) smoked/tinted rear license plate cover as well

You can request one from the service center, just say it was missing on delivery.

Edit - You should receive a dark chrome one that says Model S with your order, if you did not receive it, the service center should provide it for you.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
I looked into this briefly when the newest lights were first delivered. Didn't get very far, but did find that the wiring to the headlight seemed to change a few times in the refreshes. My Jan 2022 w/ the older lights only has 4 wires in the driver's side headlight plug vs. the 6 or more shown in that thread you linked in the first post. Probably the same as yours. Never got eyes on a car with matrix to compare.

I looked into this briefly when the newest lights were first delivered. Didn't get very far, but did find that the wiring to the headlight seemed to change a few times in the refreshes. My Jan 2022 w/ the older lights only has 4 wires in the driver's side headlight plug vs. the 6 or more shown in that thread you linked in the first post. Probably the same as yours. Never got eyes on a car with matrix to compare.
Matrix is 3 pins 😂, no idea how they're doing the turn signal sync now since that was one of the 4 pins on the refresh. I also don't know when it changed to a 4 pin (Power, Ground, LIN, Turn Signal Sync).

This thread will go over my journey on getting the Matrix LED Headlights on Pre-Refresh Refresh Model S (Feb 2021 - Feb 2022). In theory this should also work for 2016(?)+ Model S with the same reflector headlights, but I don't have one to test. My thoughts are usually all over the place, so this will just be a log and a place to get input/feedback.

Matrix Headlight part numbers:
Left 1563713-00-B
Right 1563714-00-B

Prices TBD (Still awaiting response from Parts dept)

LED Reflector Headlight part numbers:
Left 1053570-00-G
Right 1053571-00-G

Wiring Pinout Details: Pinout Model S Headlight?

Old Female Plug Parts (For a pair of headlights): (WIP Do not order)
PartPart NumberQtyNotes
Wire Seal (3.6mm)964972-14
Wire Seal (5.2mm)963294-14
Wire Plug (3.6mm)1394132-112
Wire Plug (5.2mm)828922-18
Wire Tab (1.6mm)963904-14100 Cut Strip
Wire Tab (2.8mm)1-962915-14100 Cut Strip
Female Plug1-969871-12Only found on Alibaba

New Male Plug Parts (For a pair of headlights): (WIP)
PartPart NumberQtyNotes

LIN Data:
WIP
I’m curious for the updates on the project. In other threads and comments I’ve seen that the wiring between the new headlights and the original refresh ones aren’t compatible. Now, I don’t understand much of this sort of topic but I’m interested because my Model S is headed to the body shop needing a new headlight. Do you know if they can simply order the new parts and replace it?

I’m curious for the updates on the project. In other threads and comments I’ve seen that the wiring between the new headlights and the original refresh ones aren’t compatible. Now, I don’t understand much of this sort of topic but I’m interested because my Model S is headed to the body shop needing a new headlight. Do you know if they can simply order the new parts and replace it?
Short answer is no

Long answer if you can get your body shop to let you have the old ones I can use them for testing 😂

Reactions: Nealw98
Looks to me like to replace the rear lights, you would need the new charging port and some hardware/wiring for that, and the new black bar over the license plate that probably contains the rear camera that would need to be moved, rewired, or maybe a new camera would need to be installed. Also, the old chrome strip across the back goes into or over the surface of the rear light. The new rear light does not have any intrusions. In any event, you will not be able to just snap the new rear lights into place without modification.

Reactions: pengy
I am looking into possibilities replacing the Matrix Headlights on my 2016 Model S as well!
Not sure if it is possible but still hoping it will work.

I have got some info for the connectors and hope these are helpful.
For 2021-02 to 2022-02-15 Model S:
It is a 14-pin connector (AMP 1719105-1) for the headlight.
PIN 1: LIN
PIN 4: Turn Signal (Analog)
PIN 6: Power
PIN 9: Ground

For 2022-02-18 or later Model S:
It is a 3-pin connector (DELPHI 35126369) for the headlight.
PIN 1: Power
PIN 2: LIN
PIN 3: Ground

For my facelift AP1 Model S (2016-04-11 to 2016-10-13):
Same connector as 2021 Model S (AMP 1719105-1) but pins are not exactly the same
PIN 1: LIN
PIN 2: Outage
PIN 3: Park
PIN 4: Turn Signal
PIN 5: High Beam
PIN 6: Low Beam / Power
PIN 7: DRL
PIN 8: Ground
PIN 9: Ground

I believe there should be plenty of work to do if you want to get it installed on older cars..

Last edited:
Looks to me like to replace the rear lights, you would need the new charging port and some hardware/wiring for that, and the new black bar over the license plate that probably contains the rear camera that would need to be moved, rewired, or maybe a new camera would need to be installed. Also, the old chrome strip across the back goes into or over the surface of the rear light. The new rear light does not have any intrusions. In any event, you will not be able to just snap the new rear lights into place without modification.
The appliqué is just some clips and double sided tape, the camera sits in the trunk lid so you’re good there.

Reactions: DerbyDave
An update on status of things. I'm getting a PCB designed with a ESP32 microcontroller with bluetooth to have control over the programming of the headlights. Also made up testing taps for the existing headlights to log LIN signals from there. Will try logging it this weekend.

1649987115062.png

Todo:
Order prototypes of boards
Make tap cable for new wiring harness
Log LIN signal of new car with new headlights
Develop firmware for controller
Develop app for management (stretch goal)

I think it'd be super cool to mount a phone with a camera or something on the windshield and use ML to tune full matrix LED support on these headlights but until then I'll try to get the following features out:
* Headlight alignment in app
* Turning based on steering input
* "cool" startup animations

I will probably need some assistance in modeling/printing an enclosure for the PCB with the plugs printed in them since it needs to be water tight, but I can probably just start with a simple box and conformal coatings for water resistance

Reactions: jacie6056
Good luck people! Off topic since it's a Model S thread but tried to retrofit my refresh model 3 headlights (arrived with old headlights) everything connects but car wont recognize new lights. Asked my local service center if they can push software but no dice. Cheers to retrofit one day.

Good luck people! Off topic since it's a Model S thread but tried to retrofit my refresh model 3 headlights (arrived with old headlights) everything connects but car wont recognize new lights. Asked my local service center if they can push software but no dice. Cheers to retrofit one day.
Because anything new you add, it needs adaptation by using oem software, I’ve done retrofits on german cars and I know it’s possible on any.