Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matte finish seat backs now standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think of gloss paint versus matte finish on your walls at home.......matte finish is much more forgiving in revealing imperfections, finger prints, smears, smudges etc. Add black to the equation, and the high maintenance required to keep it clean is further magnified..
This is true, but matte also scuffs more readily and cleans less easily (when talking about paint at least).

Looks like this isn't matte anyway, it's some sort of vinyl/leatherette according to the posts that followed. Our first year Xs are getting more and more "special."

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4 and McManX
It would be awesome indeed.

Damn. That 5 seater storage space is big! I sure wish they would have had that available from the get go. It's going to be tough not upgrading to that (yeah, yeah, I know, technically a downgrade) and the 100 pack soon. I think I can hold out until I know for sure it's getting the new 2170 cells though. Then again, so many goodies coming so quickly! Gah! :eek::p;)

You think that storage space is big, wait till you see it with the leveling boards removed. There is a whole bunch more room underneath those boards.

I am just moving from one house to another, and cannot believe how much stuff you can fit into the back of my 5 seater. Just when I thought that I had packed every square inch, I remembered that there was still additional space in the frunk. Also packed the front seat and footwell. Going to compete with Mayflower.

It also works great for transporting my 90 lb. Golden. He loves riding back there, and the cave like enclosure seems to make him much more calm that using my Jeep.

This is true, but matte also scuffs more readily and cleans less easily (when talking about paint at least).

Looks like this isn't matte anyway, it's some sort of vinyl/leatherette according to the posts that followed. Our first year Xs are getting more and more "special."

I do enjoy our special factor. 90D active spoiler is definitely the best of it.

If it is some sort of leatherette I think I like the gloss better, hard to say without seeing though. Hope someone gets pics soon.

I was wondering if anyone used the 3m or clear bra material on the backs. My son already scratched the backs. Seem very fragile...
I am sure people have. XPEL has pre-cut films for the seat backs. I've got a quote from a mobile installer before - $200/seat installed.

The seat back itself is only $1xx from Tesla including installation IIRC.

Got back out here to SC and to take pictures but I can say that after looking at this Model S loaner that I have, it's the same material. Textured leather that so far is taking a pretty good beating from my toddlers. Sales guy said this is how they're being delivered now.

Need to resize the other ones. Can't post them from my iPhone so here's one shot.

Attachments

• IMG_9386.JPG
    IMG_9386.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 213
Reactions: boofagle
@outie Are you sure you can buy the glossy seat backs from Tesla? Mine is in production right now and I most prefer the glossy backs. My DS has put in a request for the glossy ones but I don't know if they'll be able to accommodate. I only knew of the change to matte finish last night and My Tesla page shows production started today. I really am hoping to get the glossy, but if I could buy them for replacement, then I wouldn't have to worry too much. Thanks!