Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Regen - Can Someone Top This?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@msnow, I don't believe so at all. I was stuck behind a Forest Ranger and had to go slower than normal for about 8 miles, which I know helped a bit. Also, I hit green lights on the lower portion of Haleakala Highway (you know, the parts where you can "legally" go 55 mph), which rarely seems to happen for me.

@Brass Guy, the car had "cold soaked", if you can call it that, for about 10 hours, so the outside temperature is indeed the reason for the restriction at the top. It went away within about 2 miles, though.
Thanks. Yes very familiar with that highway as a tourist in a rental ICE :) well done!

I'm not sure if you could improve on that by shipping your S over to Hawaii (the Big Island). Regenning from Mauna Kea (13,700-ish feet) down to Hilo may beat your current record. Its something like 35 miles, and almost every bit of it is going to be downhill. But then again, once you hit Saddle Road, the slope may be too gentle, and the traffic too aggressive, to take full advantage.

-- Ardie
Bring a jacket. Even in the summer its chilly up there.

I'm not sure if you could improve on that by shipping your S over to Hawaii (the Big Island). Regenning from Mauna Kea (13,700-ish feet) down to Hilo may beat your current record. Its something like 35 miles, and almost every bit of it is going to be downhill. But then again, once you hit Saddle Road, the slope may be too gentle, and the traffic too aggressive, to take full advantage.

-- Ardie

@Ardie, if there was any reasonable way to do that here in Hawaii, I would be on it immediately! Having lived in the Seattle area for many years, it kills me that we don't have car ferries here in Hawaii. Oh well...

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone. I made the trip again yesterday, and decided to turn the climate control off to see if I could boost my record. I was able to gain back a total of 9.5 kWh and 32 miles of rated range gained, so I indeed improved on my "personal best". I don't think I'll be trying to improve on this for some time.

haleakala_2016_09_top_usg_mod.jpg

haleakala_2016_09_bot_usg_mod.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone. I made the trip again yesterday, and decided to turn the climate control off to see if I could boost my record. I was able to gain back a total of 9.5 kWh and 32 miles of rated range gained, so I indeed improved on my "personal best". I don't think I'll be trying to improve on this for some time.

View attachment 194484
View attachment 194485
If you turn off Duran Duran you'll pick up another kWh. :)

-- Ardie
Having driven both roads, I don't believe Mauna Kea would give better results. Road is only good to 9200 feet and I 'm not sure they would let you take Tesla past that. I know I wouldn't even consider trying in mine. If I remember right Spleen shipped his Tesla over to Maui from Oahu and drove there, so it's doable.

-- Ardie
Having driven both roads, I don't believe Mauna Kea would give better results. Road is only good to 9200 feet and I 'm not sure they would let you take Tesla past that. I know I wouldn't even consider trying in mine. If I remember right Spleen shipped his Tesla over to Maui from Oahu and drove there, so it's doable.

I did Pikes Peak to the Colorado Springs Supercharger with a net energy gain of 22 miles rated. It's almost totally in regen up to the last mile in the city (out of 29 miles total). The top is at 14,114 and the SpC is at 6020 for net altitude drop of 8094.

I've noticed that the rated range displayed goes up in chunks of 3 or 4 miles when coming down hill. It's done that coming out of the Eisenhower tunnel and down both Mt. Evans and Pikes Peak. Does anyone with a datalogger have any information on how often battery state goes out on the bus, and how often rated range is recomputed?

Thanks for the data.

I'd like to know your round trip energy consumption up and down the mountain but I think your first leg includes the trip to the start of the ascent. If you have the opportunity in the future, please grab an additional photo at the start of the ascent.

@SageBrush, From a trip up earlier this year, the ascent part used 28.2 kWh for 36.3 miles, or 777 Wh/mi.
IMG_20160915_102706.jpg

IMG_20160915_102843.jpg

Reactions: SageBrush
I sort of broke my own record yesterday. I gained 35 rated miles (record) and 9.4 kWh (not record) on my drive down Haleakala. My old record was 32 rated miles and 9.5 kWh. I know the disparity is the result of Tesla only giving regen credit every 3 miles or so. I didn't use the cabin heat, despite it being very cold at the top, but did use the seat heater. I had a warm coat on :). Pictures to follow.