Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

May AWD/Performance Orders -- VIN / Status Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved 12/2016, owner, I was probably the first person who configured 6/26 before flood gates opened. I'm in Utah, and I doubt there are a whole lot of Performance 3s being ordered around here, so I'm hoping if there is any region consideration I might get in early. ordering AWD P + P Package... no changes to my page yet but I'm still holding out hope for early august. And in my absolute best case scenario late July.

I think if Tesla really is cranking out 5000+ M3s a week, any performance order is going to happen fairly quickly. I bet they are starting with the first east coast orders because it takes longer to get them there; then they will move in slowly towards CA, then the first P cars will get delivered across the country close to the same time. They may still be finalizing some regulatory stuff / etc... so they are hoping to finalize that as the cars ship to the east coast.

Also in Utah, owner, reserved in-store 3/31/16 and configured non-P AWD on 6/2. Interested to see how the timing plays out with P vs. non-P orders. Edit option is still visible.

Config date?

I ordered Pearl White P3D+P on May 23rd and I still have an edit button when I change my trade-in option to "yes" :( I'm jealous!

yeah that's not nearly enough information.

When/where/who/and WHAT is the VIN? ;)

more details please! what is the VIN? When did you confirm your order? Did an ISA reach out to you already? Delivery date?

Current Owner, First-day-line-standing reservation (these likely don't make any difference nowadays), Config date: Jun 27 2:55am PDT. I think I'm getting this now because I am local (SF Bay Area). VIN number is in the 63,xxx range.

I don't see the VIN in my account, but I just received an e-mail from the Inside Delivery Advisor with my VIN. She actually just called me a few minutes ago saying that I've been matched with an existing car and she's pushing for a delivery date mid next week. I need to apply for a loan and get the trade-in stuff started. I really didn't expect this until August or September.

Current Owner, First-day-line-standing reservation (these likely don't make any difference nowadays), Config date: Jun 27 2:55am PDT. I think I'm getting this now because I am local (SF Bay Area). VIN number is in the 63,xxx range.

I don't see the VIN in my account, but I just received an e-mail from the Inside Delivery Advisor with my VIN. She actually just called me a few minutes ago saying that I've been matched with an existing car and she's pushing for a delivery date mid next week. I need to apply for a loan and get the trade-in stuff started. I really didn't expect this until August or September.

To confirm, is this for an AWD or PAWD config? Or RWD?

I am a current owner (2 S's no longer in my stable and currently have an X). Reserved in line 3/31/16 and configured 5/24/18 (Black, AWD, EAP, 18" Aero). Switched color to pearl white the next day. Received an email that my vehicle has "completed production" today from ISA. She asked me to confirm some things that I thought I already had through the account but, nevertheless, it would appear that the AWD non-performance deliveries will be imminent. I am betting based on RWD owner reports in my area (Michigan) that I will be able to take delivery in 3-4 weeks.

I am a current owner (2 S's no longer in my stable and currently have an X). Reserved in line 3/31/16 and configured 5/24/18 (Black, AWD, EAP, 18" Aero). Switched color to pearl white the next day. Received an email that my vehicle has "completed production" today from ISA. She asked me to confirm some things that I thought I already had through the account but, nevertheless, it would appear that the AWD non-performance deliveries will be imminent. I am betting based on RWD owner reports in my area (Michigan) that I will be able to take delivery in 3-4 weeks.

Why did you switch to pearl white? I am curious as I also configured pearl white AWD. Congrats in order. Seems like priority is now for either those who are close and or early orders/current owners.

Why did you switch to pearl white? I am curious as I also configured pearl white AWD. Congrats in order. Seems like priority is now for either those who are close and or early orders/current owners.

Went with black originally because it was $1000 less and looked pretty sweet with the dark aero rims/grey base rims.

Then looked around the next day at every black car I could find and saw it either covered in pollen or dust. Then thought back to how dirty black cars look in Michigan winter.

Forgot to mention no VIN yet and my edit button disappeared over night last night. After speaking directly with a Tesla, seems like when your place in line comes up and they have a vehicle to match your configuration, they pull the edit button and that car becomes yours and can no longer be “edited.”

There are so few configuration combinations (basically color as EAP is a software upgrade and wheels are easy to swap) they are batch building colors and matching orders to built cars.

VIN is now assigned at Tesla but not revealed to us until right before delivery in case they need to swap VIN/vehicle for logistics. Many RWD deliveries reported nearby to me getting VIN 1-2 days before delivery.

I don't think you should consider yourself to be in the front of the line.
I never said that I considered myself to be in the front of the line. I said "holding out hope for early august" If Tesla is listing a 1-3 month delivery timeframe for brand new performance buyers; I don't see why I couldn't hope to get mine in August, I said late July would be nice, but was a pipe dream.

Remember, of the 450K reservations, only ~200K are US orders, and uptake of the P model best estimates are 3%. Thats only 6,000 cars... if Tesla is doing 5-6K cars per week.. Anyone in the P queue is going to be receiving their car in short order; especially people who configured almost a month ago and are owners and reservation holders since 2016.

Last edited:
Went with black originally because it was $1000 less and looked pretty sweet with the dark aero rims/grey base rims.

Then looked around the next day at every black car I could find and saw it either covered in pollen or dust. Then thought back to how dirty black cars look in Michigan winter.

Forgot to mention no VIN yet and my edit button disappeared over night last night. After speaking directly with a Tesla, seems like when your place in line comes up and they have a vehicle to match your configuration, they pull the edit button and that car becomes yours and can no longer be “edited.”

There are so few configuration combinations (basically color as EAP is a software upgrade and wheels are easy to swap) they are batch building colors and matching orders to built cars.

VIN is now assigned at Tesla but not revealed to us until right before delivery in case they need to swap VIN/vehicle for logistics. Many RWD deliveries reported nearby to me getting VIN 1-2 days before delivery.

Congrats. !!
I have the same config I’m waiting on, only I reserved much later than you, and I’m not a precious owner.
I wonder how many AWD orders are out there ?

I never said that I considered myself to be in the front of the line. I said "holding out hope for early august" If Tesla is listing a 1-3 month delivery timeframe for brand new performance buyers; I don't see why I couldn't hope to get mine in August, I said late July would be nice, but was a pipe dream.

Remember, of the 450K reservations, only ~200K are US orders, and uptake of the P model best estimates are 3%. Thats only 6,000 cars... if Tesla is doing 5-6K cars per week.. Anyone in the P queue is going to be receiving their car in short order; especially people who configured almost a month ago and are owners and reservation holders since 2016.
Personally, I take the range as applicable to current orders - some will get it within a month and some -after 3. New orders will most likely hit the higher end of the estimate unless there's no line in their region. No line is more likely for RWD than for P/AWD.

As of Q1 we had 418k reservations, not 450k. Currently, Tesla seems to be doing 3.5-4K/week, see this post Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

This page could be representative of config split % since flood gates opened:
Tesla Model 3 Invites - Current Invite Group

Definitely not order date, spreadsheet showing 6/26, 6/27, 7/11. States are different - CA, WA, MD.
So, looks like the primary criteria is reservation date/time and maybe owner status? Interesting if we'll see any non-owners getting AWD/P soon.

It seemed like owner status was a factor early on, but then @TurboCJ reported receiving an AWD VIN today, and he is not a current or prior owner. (thread)

It seemed like owner status was a factor early on, but then @TurboCJ reported receiving an AWD VIN today, and he is not a current or prior owner. (thread)
If they’re still batching them all the said factors can only play so much of a role correct? Say they do a bunch of white for example, if they have x amount of orders for white, doesn’t matter if 10 previous owners/line standers picked red, they will fill as many white orders with the batch right? So sometimes previous status will matter and sometimes it won’t. Just a guess.

Reactions: Bokonon