Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

May not want anymore. Now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MY on order that is due Septemberish and now I am not sure that I want it anymore. I do have a test drive scheduled for later this week to help me decide , but I never take cars out long on test drives. My biggest concerns are 1. they are really cheap inside for the price and 2. since I ordered in November a lot of other EVs with autopilot and good range have come out. My boyfriend has a Y so I have ridden along plenty and I had a fully loaded up Model S for a few months, but haven’t spent much time living with the Y. I will use it primarily for long trips and hauling my dog around.

If I decide I am not that keen on the car what is the best course of action? Get it and drive for a bit and sell if I need to or just cancel my order? I have the money, I just don’t like spending it on things I am not wild about.
If you are not feeling the car, don’t waste your time or money. Get something that you will be ready to like both inside and outside. Plus feel like you are getting what you pay for and don’t regret your decision.

To clarify, my boyfriend lives two states away and when I visit there’s not a lot of downtime where the car is at the house or we aren’t in a rush somewhere and he wants to drive. So I get to show him the menus a lot and stick to the seats, but don’t know much about living with it. There just isn’t a lot of opportunity to really settle in and try it out.

Part of my motivation for posting was to see if anyone else felt the same. If maybe someone would have something to say like the ownership experience isn't as much of a mess as the ordering and delivery process would suggest. Or maybe someone could provide some insight about not really fully appreciating the car from a short ride along or test drive, but rather the car grew on them over time vs. most cars that are most appealing the second you buy them. Maybe there is something specific I should do during the upcoming test drive to really appreciate it fully.

It is really a hard choice when other cars are cheaper, come with rebates, have better customer service and slowly each Tesla advantage is being ticked away. For now, Tesla still has exclusive use of the SC network and is the first for a lot of the EV tech so I just feel painted into a corner if I want an EV that has the best in some ways while other things are way below even the most budget brands.

You need to test drive other EVs. Anything under $55K has subpar features. Crap audio, missing basic safety features (base Ioniq 5 SE doesn’t have a front sensor), cloth seats, poor range or efficiency.

If you are so discerning I suggest only picking the top trim of every EV because every lower trim will be subpar compared to a Model Y. Ioniq 5 Limited AWD, EV6 GT-Line AWD, Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range, Polestar 2 with all packages.

For me, I’m most interested in the Genesis GV60 and Cadillac Lyriq.

To clarify, my boyfriend lives two states away and when I visit there’s not a lot of downtime where the car is at the house or we aren’t in a rush somewhere and he wants to drive. So I get to show him the menus a lot and stick to the seats, but don’t know much about living with it. There just isn’t a lot of opportunity to really settle in and try it out.
That makes a big difference. i assumed your boyfriend was more geographically available. I didn’t understand why you weren’t able to decide when I thought you’d have unfettered access to the same car. I hope you find your answer. I’ve been very happy with my MY. The pros far outweigh the cons.

Reactions: AquaY
I actually don’t have an EV car picked out that I like better, but haven’t really been shopping much. Until recently I planned to just get the Tesla. I have started to see a variety of EV and ICE cars with nice interiors and “autopilot” and wonder what I am doing waiting over a year for a potential rattle box.
I have an m3 on order and have also thought of canceling a few times - none of the other Ev are styled like a Tesla - how big is your dog maybe. A 3 model would work for you for less $ - my accountant just gave up a deluxe Mercedes’ for a Y long range and loves it .from what I see having a Tesla is more like a hobby then just buying an ice. - make sure you video your delivery - maybe you can start a YouTube and have your car pay you 😎

Well I want it to work out , I just feel a little painted into a corner with the hit or miss quality and the strange Tesla whims. The ordering process and various horror stories have me spooked. I haven’t tried to live with a Y.

The Model S I was test owning was really great, it was just an older model so range was a little less and I felt guilty making such a nice car a dog vehicle. However the model Y seems like a noticeable step down from the S inside and out. It’s hard to swallow plastic seats honestly.
I'm having difficulty following your thought process.
Your boyfriend owns a Model Y but you need to test drive one because he lives far away and you have no time to drive his car when you see each other. I'd suggest, after the first " I missed you" romp you go for a ride. In the car this time. Let his batteries recharge so to speak.

The model Y doesn't seem to be a noticeable step down from the Model S.
It IS a noticeable step down from the S.
You're comparing a $96k base price vehicle with a $57k one. There better be a noticeable difference for $39k

I agree the Model Y seats aren't luxury. The interior is spartan.
I wish it were better and frankly, it should be. But for me, there are so many other reasons I bought mine and i really like it.

The ordering process couldn't be simpler. Especially when you compare it to traditional dealers who see you as a mark to be taken advantage of.
By horror stories I guess you a referring to internet stories of how someone ordered a car and got screwed etc etc.
Those are not unique to Tesla. Search any vehicle and you will find them too.

I'm not sure if you are having buyer's remorse early but to me it doesn't seem like the MY is right for you.
You've driven in your boyfriend's Y one plenty of times I would guess.
Test driving one isn't going to change your mind regarding the interior or relieve your anxiety over the ordering process and delivery horror stories.
You should be happy with what car you buy. Not looking for someone to talk you into it.
Just my 2 cents

Reactions: Yelobird
I am really not sure how brainwashed you guys are. It is a great car in some ways, but you're fooling yourself if you think a lot of this stuff is acceptable. I can get a nice leather interior in a $32k Mazda SUV vs $66k for a base refrigerator white model Y right now. With the money saved, I could buy enough gas to travel about 250K miles. The ordering process IS a disaster, everyone who is currently waiting has had their EDD jerked around several times. In my case, I ordered in early November last year and my EDD has bounced between potentially being delivered on Thanksgiving or screwing my Labor Day plans, god help you if you are out of town and can't get back to PU the car in a couple days. Others see their delivery window come and go without a car being delivered. For a while they were delivering cars in my area with the caveat that you have to come back to get parts installed. I don't mind waiting, it is the lack of organization. Meanwhile, Tesla is raising prices for supercharging and toying with opening the Supercharger network here which removes one of the last advantages.

So in the end it's a nice enough car that IS lacking... there are challenges to at least be acknowledged. I am sure it's great if you already have one, but I would hope you could see how bad it looks for someone waiting while other manufacturers come out with cars that one up them on their own features.

I am really not sure how brainwashed you guys are. It is a great car in some ways, but you're fooling yourself if you think a lot of this stuff is acceptable. I can get a nice leather interior in a $32k Mazda SUV vs $66k for a base refrigerator white model Y right now. With the money saved, I could buy enough gas to travel about 250K miles. The ordering process IS a disaster, everyone who is currently waiting has had their EDD jerked around several times. In my case, I ordered in early November last year and my EDD has bounced between potentially being delivered on Thanksgiving or screwing my Labor Day plans, god help you if you are out of town and can't get back to PU the car in a couple days. Others see their delivery window come and go without a car being delivered. For a while they were delivering cars in my area with the caveat that you have to come back to get parts installed. I don't mind waiting, it is the lack of organization. Meanwhile, Tesla is raising prices for supercharging and toying with opening the Supercharger network here which removes one of the last advantages.

So in the end it's a nice enough car that IS lacking... there are challenges to at least be acknowledged. I am sure it's great if you already have one, but I would hope you could see how bad it looks for someone waiting while other manufacturers come out with cars that one up them on their own features.
Then why are you still here? Just leave.

LMAO. Here's a crazy thought. Don't buy one.
I dislike Mercedes and BMWs. So I don't buy one.
I certainly don't whine about BMWs on a BMW forum and then think the people who like BMWs are brain washed.
To each their own. Why on earth you ordered a Tesla after being in your boyfriends tesla often and then ask opinions and get annoyed for people having opinions that differ than yours is truly messed up..
I feel sorry for him

Reactions: Yelobird

So in the end it's a nice enough car that IS lacking... there are challenges to at least be acknowledged. I am sure it's great if you already have one, but I would hope you could see how bad it looks for someone waiting while other manufacturers come out with cars that one up themi think you make some good on their own features.

I think you make some good points - my model 3 has been delayed - it will be more then 6 months wait - Mazda does have electric but 100 mile range - change to model 3 - why get two suv if you live w boyfriend someday - you are correct that owners do look the other way at phantom breaking and other issues - why because the Love their Tesla’s - try the white seats with a dog cover for the backseat -

Last edited:

You probably haven't been around the waiting room threads then.
Your first initial EDD is the most accurate. We've had people with 13 different EDDs.
Maybe the best course is to just stop checking the app until you get a VIN text/email from Tesla.
Would you rather Tesla tell you absolutely nothing about your order for +6 months, then drop a bunch of paperwork on you and give you 1 week to get everything in order, or keep you appraised of every little factor/change that affects your EDD?

Those are extremes but that's where we're at right now with any car manufacturer.
Tesla's ECU port issue is resolved, the cars have been delivered after the parts came in. I doubt other car brands are even hitting production targets with all the parts shortages.
My Tesla order vs my wife’s Lincoln Corsair GT (PHEV) order:

My sig tells the story of my order so now I’ll tell you what my wife has dealt with with Lincoln (Ford).

She ordered her Lincoln Corsair GT on November 27, 2021 from a Black Label dealer. She was told 8 to 10 weeks delivery due to chip shortages. She heard nothing from Lincoln until March 25th where she received an email with her VIN. All emails listed below came in at 7PM.
3/25 - Build week set as 5/16
4/1 - Build week moved to 5/9
4/5 - Build week moved to 5/2
4/13 - Build week moved to 5/9
4/25 - Build week moved to 5/15
5/6 - Build week moved to 5/30
5/17 - Build week moved to 6/6
These are not EDDs but are dates Lincoln is to start production. Actual EDD is not provided by Lincoln (Ford). Lincoln Corsairs are built in Louisville Ky and the ship time to Orlando is estimated at 2 weeks given past history of deliveries. Deliveries go through Jacksonville and that can hold up delivery time another 2 weeks (no reason given).
It’s hard for me to complain about delayed delivery compared to what she has endured. Tesla has SA’s that are at times helpful but Lincoln‘s Concierge service is of no help. Their available info is usually two emails behind what we already know.
Tesla is not the only one with build/communication issues.
Would we be better off if we didn't have any EDD updates until the car was on a truck? (Conventional dealer)

Or have fluid, changing EDD updates that we overanalyze\over scrutinize?

I understand people have personal circumstances that might frustrate them, but try not to worry about things other that are out of your control. The beginning of EDD after all, is Estimated.
I would much rather have Tesla's system - at least there is an EDD.
I was disappointed by the complete lack of communication from Toyota until my Rav4 was 2 weeks from delivery.
I think you make some good points - my model 3 has been delayed - it will be more then 6 months wait - Mazda does have electric but 100 mike range - change to model 3 - why get two suv if you live w boyfriend someday - you are correct that owners do look the other way at phantom breaking and other issues - why because the Love their Tesla’s - try the white seats with a dog cover for the backseat -
That's exactly what I do with mine - seats have held up well.

Last edited:
Yes I can see they have no interest in M3 standard - the delivery if you ordered one today is same as my March 2022 order aprx sept- Nov. - I just don’t want to spend a penny more - did break down for 19 inch wheels - but it would be nice to get the better sound system and looks like faster deliver if I upgrade to LR

Before I bought my 2022 Tesla, I honestly didn't want one but begrudgingly ordered one based on my wife's suggestion "I think you really belong in a EV". I had an opinion that the interiors sucked and were boring and materials were cheap.

But then I drove one and I flipped my bias opinion.

The simplicity of the interior is actually calming on stressful/high traffic highway drives. My Tesla's interior "rattles" less than ANY high end BMW I've driven (driven 4 now) and I'm came from a 2021 BMW M2 Competition. I've also owned 9 different Mazdas and the Tesla's ride noise and seat quality is on par with Mazdas higher trim models, but seats actually more comfortable and easier on my back in the Tesla. My Tesla is the most relaxing drive I've ever had in my life but also has insane performance whenever I want it. Its incredibly fun.

Regarding the cost topic... sticker is high yes, but my savings vs my last gas car makes my net Tesla monthly cost about $266. For a comparable gas vehicle, you'd be buying a cheap, very basic model for the same monthly net cost. Not to mention I'll never have to worry about replacing brakes, oil etc... pretty much just the tires and MAYBE the battery if I keep the car long enough (i'll have traded up to a newer model by then, so battery replacement for me is a moot point)

For non EV owners, this is typically a hump hard to get over and imagine. I know, because I was one of those people. But in the end, the numbers work out.

My advice, go against what your gut is telling you in this case and just try the damn Tesla. All your gas car biases may be put to bed within the first week of ownership. Or not... its up to you. Good luck.