Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU 1 Versions? 1098010-00-F vs 1004777-00-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
boy, that sounds like a line some corporate lawyers would write. Think we should all see this as foreshadowing of Tesla’s position on this

And it is rubbish. Not legal in many states unless your vehicle qualifies for antique vehicles plates or other inane requirements. This isn't an emergency that occurred while on the road. Every driver is putting everyone at risk by using hand signals instead of turn signals. Visibility out of cars is way worse than bikes. No one can see hand signals and no one should have to drive with one hand out of their car.

Tesla's playing with lives.

Roverman318 - have you submitted a complaint to the NHTSA? There is a thread on here about an ongoing NHTSA investigation into MCU1s failing, you can find more info here, NHTSA Investigates Failing MCUs, including a link to submit the complaint.

Yes, complaint submitted. Car still at SC so no updates yet. They did offer an MCU2 "upgrade" again but I declined since they would not do it under warranty nor would they give a credit for the re-manufactured unit that they won't have to put in if I do the upgrade.

MCU failure is being looked at by NHTSA, which could lead to recall/reimbursement -- please file a complaint here:
File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

ODI report: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INOA-PE20010-4553.PDF

Our MCU1 started failing regularly directly after our FSD Upgrade in 6/2020 (i.e., MCU blackouts while driving, rear camera blackouts during reverse, inoperable voice commands / navigation / browser, Autopilot & Center Display unavailable error messages). Tesla has replaced the rear camera, wiring from the rear camera to the MCU and the MCU1 itself. I submitted DOT NHTSA Complaint Number: 11354519... adding in impact to Autopilot system (i.e., Steering and Speed controls)

My 2013 P85 is in the SC now for several issues. All were to be resolved today except the MCU replacement. I spoke with my SC and they used the position that my car is in their custody as leverage to get a replacement MCU quicker (LT went from 10 days to 1 day). No promises on availability for anyone else, and maybe I got lucky, but it seems to be a good strategy with the SC. Take the car in, get the attention. Schedule on the App and have your can kicked down the road.

Replacement Parts:
MCU,MDLX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN(1098010-99-H) *This has LTE vs. the original 3G connectivity
ANTENNA , BLUETOOTH(1052393-00-B)
Rear View Camera HSD Jumper(1127304-00-B)

Good luck.

That is exactly what I received for my 2015 70D on July 24. I had the work done under an ESA, not sure what difference that might make, but since I wasn't paying full price and since they did not make me wait for parts, I felt quite fortunate.

I would not say the screen is any better than before, but it seems to be working OK. It has rebooted once or twice unexpectedly, which was a bit worrisome, but otherwise seems about the same as it was before it started misbehaving.

My one concern is whether I would have been better off waiting just a bit to get the new version of the eMMC, which supposedly has a larger size memory. But i could not drive the car so waiting wasn't an option (and no one knew that option was coming, so far as I knew at the time).

Tesla was unable to get the refurbished MCU model ending with G so they escalated the part to a regional center and now the order has an H.
Curious as to what the revisions are.

MCU,MDLSX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN
Part #: 1098010-99-H

Anyone else had this experience?

Yes, but (as I mention in a separate reply elsewhere in this thread), I do not notice much if any difference from what i had before.

Hello

3 questions to those who have a clue - thanks for the answers.
I got 2 weeks ago (warranty) a new MCU in my Model S 85D 4/2015
  • MCU,MDLSX,EU/JPN/HK/MC/TW/SK,LTE RMN(1098050 -99-J) .
  • Actually already the second but that does not matter ...
1) so the BlackScreen is banished for now, right?
2) i had 3G now it's LTE. Do i have a a MCU1 and no MCU0 anymore?
3) do I have more memory now or has the MCU1 always only 8GB?

thank you rob