Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU 1 Versions? 1098010-00-F vs 1004777-00-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had to get my MCU replaced in my '13 MS and saw the service center had two different versions. Does anyone know what the differences are as they both say for: 2012-2016 with premium audio and gps??? There is some info on the 1004777 model and lots of revisions, but is the 1098010 version older or newer or something completely different?

1098010-00-F
vs
1004777-00-E

absolutely, but i'm past 4 years so it's out of pocket for me :eek:(

just surprised (or maybe not) that they would sell/replace with a remanufactured unit as I thought refurbs were for warranty work and that they only sold "new."

absolutely, but i'm past 4 years so it's out of pocket for me :eek:(

just surprised (or maybe not) that they would sell/replace with a remanufactured unit as I thought refurbs were for warranty work and that they only sold "new."

i believe theres a price difference between the two. how much did you pay. I do agree with you though if I'm paying out of pocket I feel like it should be clear what I get. You're paying money and they're basically yanking it out of someone's old car

i believe theres a price difference between the two. how much did you pay. I do agree with you though if I'm paying out of pocket I feel like it should be clear what I get. You're paying money and they're basically yanking it out of someone's old car

3 quotes and am not sure why there is a price difference for the newest version outside different service reps:
  • $2500 1004777-00E
  • $1800 1004777-00E
  • $1,300 1098010-00F (remanufactured)

I got
1004780-00-M for $2370 plus labor when my 2013 crapped out at 95K miles and 4.5 years. It was a remanufactured part. Unfortunately, that just died today after only 2.5years and 20k miles. Perhaps all the software add-ons are creating excess stress on the MCU 1 hardware or the remanufactured part has less lifespan.

3 quotes and am not sure why there is a price difference for the newest version outside different service reps:
  • $2500 1004777-00E
  • $1800 1004777-00E
  • $1,300 1098010-00F (remanufactured)
Maybe Elon is reinventing old salesman tricks - "quote the customer whatever you think they can afford" - and you just appeared more well off to the second rep giving you the quote. Maybe that's why they don't give away official price lists. With the laser focus on company profitability, there are only 2 ways to improve it - raise prices or lower costs. In Tesla's case, they have a monopoly on car repairs, they were close to $100K cars so customers are not of food stamps, therefore the obvious choice is to raise prices.

Reactions: IronPig
I got
1004780-00-M for $2370 plus labor when my 2013 crapped out at 95K miles and 4.5 years. It was a remanufactured part. Unfortunately, that just died today after only 2.5years and 20k miles. Perhaps all the software add-ons are creating excess stress on the MCU 1 hardware or the remanufactured part has less lifespan.

the parts warranty document says the MCU part gets its own 4 year warranty. If you’ve paid to have it replaced, that part warranty should be in effect. Try to get it covered, at least...

Reactions: DFibRL8R
the parts warranty document says the MCU part gets its own 4 year warranty. If you’ve paid to have it replaced, that part warranty should be in effect. Try to get it covered, at least...

Thank you, I did manage to get the repair covered. They were only planning to charge me $195 "diagnostic fee" for some sort of process that restored the corrupted MCU but after I educated the service team member about the existence of this specific warranty for the "touchscreen and microcontroller", they waived the charge. I literally had to show them the parts warranty document on my phone for them to believe me.

I got
Reman EMMC was probably still an original 2013. It was in better shape than your original at the time it was replaced, but still half dead already. EMMC failure is guaranteed, it's just a matter of time before logging practices kill it off.

They were going to charge you to do the infamous "double reflash" technique that works to get your failing EMMC going again.... briefly. Did they replace your warranty covered part again? Or is it the same one they're trying to limp out of warranty?

Reman EMMC was probably still an original 2013. It was in better shape than your original at the time it was replaced, but still half dead already. EMMC failure is guaranteed, it's just a matter of time before logging practices kill it off.

They were going to charge you to do the infamous "double reflash" technique that works to get your failing EMMC going again.... briefly. Did they replace your warranty covered part again? Or is it the same one they're trying to limp out of warranty?

Good question. I found the lack of transparency on the invoice regarding how they fixed the failed MCU strange so presumably it was just some sort of reflash as you mentioned. I can’t imagine they would replace the MCU again without telling me (plus that typically wipes all the data from the current MCU). I expect it to fail again at which point I plan to express my displeasure for not fixing the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
the question I have, if I had an MCU1 replaced under warranty on a 2017 vehicle, and it’s dead again, may I claim that under 4 yr warranty? The vehicle is now out of warranty by about 7-8000 mi
Not sure. I paid out of pocket to replace an MCU on my 2013 Model S out of warranty in 2017. Today I received service for that MCU at no charge when it was showing signs of failure after I explained that the replaced part has a 4 year warranty. Since you did not pay for the repair (it was still under warranty) it may not apply.

Per the attached parts warranty document:
"Any Parts repaired or replaced under the Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Tesla Used Vehicle Limited Warranty, or an active Tesla Service Plan is covered for the duration of that applicable warranty or plan, and does not extend beyond that duration."

Attachments

• tesla-parts-accessories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf
    42.8 KB · Views: 109
the question I have, if I had an MCU1 replaced under warranty on a 2017 vehicle, and it’s dead again, may I claim that under 4 yr warranty? The vehicle is now out of warranty by about 7-8000 mi

I do not believe so, because it was not purchased, but I'm sure it's open to interpretation. Typically warranty replacements fall under the terms of the initial warranty.

New wrinkle in my MCU saga...

The unit which was resurrected 2 months ago (probably flashed) has failed again. I paid to replace out of warranty $2300 in 2017. Now they are offering to replace with MCU, MDLX, NA Premium, Reman (1098010-00-G). I asked if I could get MCU2 and was told my vehicle is not compatible with the retrofit and can only have the same version MCU installed. In addition, they gave me an estimate of $1,300 for the part plus labor. I (again) informed them of their own parts warranty policy of 4 years for touchscreen and Microcontroller repairs. I guess we'll see how long this one lasts.

I wonder if the warranty will be for another 4 years or only the remainder of the part warranty from the 2017 repair I paid for?

edit, I see in the warranty document:

"Repaired or Replaced Parts

Any Parts repaired or replaced under this Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty continue to be covered by the original warranty period of the repaired or replaced Part (mentioned above in "Coverage Period") or for a period of 90 days, whichever is longer."

So I guess I get until July 2021 (four years past the original repair made in July 2017)?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Maryland
New wrinkle in my MCU saga...

The unit which was resurrected 2 months ago (probably flashed) has failed again. I paid to replace out of warranty $2300 in 2017. Now they are offering to replace with MCU, MDLX, NA Premium, Reman (1098010-00-G). I asked if I could get MCU2 and was told my vehicle is not compatible with the retrofit and can only have the same version MCU installed. In addition, they gave me an estimate of $1,300 for the part plus labor. I (again) informed them of their own parts warranty policy of 4 years for touchscreen and Microcontroller repairs. I guess we'll see how long this one lasts.

I wonder if the warranty will be for another 4 years or only the remainder of the part warranty from the 2017 repair I paid for?

edit, I see in the warranty document:

"Repaired or Replaced Parts

Any Parts repaired or replaced under this Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty continue to be covered by the original warranty period of the repaired or replaced Part (mentioned above in "Coverage Period") or for a period of 90 days, whichever is longer."

So I guess I get until July 2021 (four years past the original repair made in July 2017)?
So did Tesla honor the 4 year warranty for the repair you paid for, after you reminded them, or are you just speculating that they should honor it?