Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Tesla mobile tech told me a month or so ago that their internal wiki says this UV light fix is temporary.
And that you will be allowed to request another application of the fix as long as your vehicle is under warranty.

This is not good news if this is documented internally by Tesla Service... they are just kicking the can down the road. :cool:

There seem to be a few threads on this around the forum, so I thought I'd just post here. I wanted to let the forum know that the yellow border on my MCU is gone.

Bonnie Norman on Twitter (before/after pics)

As I noted in the tweet, be patient. They have developed a tool /fixture that restores the screen - but not all centers have the tool yet (plus I guess some training is involved).

I was lucky enough to be at service on Monday for a wheel alignment while the tool was passing thru temporarily (I guess it’s making the rounds for training purposes.)

BE PATIENT. Just make sure your service center knows you have the issue and would like to be scheduled when they’re ready.

>> If you wonder why I trust Tesla when they say they’re working on a solution, it’s because my experience has always been that when they say that, they are. (Patience is a bitch though, isn’t it?)

That's great news!

Did they offer to do the fix, or did they surprise you with it?

Safety and emissions related issues get covered under recalls, bad designs get covered by warranty or your wallet. At least Tesla made a change to fix it in later models instead of just continuing with a screen known to have a high out of warranty failure rate. Pretty sure every BMW I owned had one or more components that you knew were going to fail shortly after the warranty expired.
Unfortunately often the case. Doesn't make it "right".

• Disagree
Reactions: re04586 and Skipdd
No, sorry - they usually email me the service invoice around now. I'll be happy to share when I get it (alignment was $150).

I'd just make sure that your service advisor has the yellow border noted on your customer account. It's going to take awhile for them to get to everyone, so just knowing you need it done puts you in the queue when they're set to go.

Any updates on that service invoice?

There seem to be a few threads on this around the forum, so I thought I'd just post here. I wanted to let the forum know that the yellow border on my MCU is gone.

As I noted in the tweet, be patient. They have developed a tool /fixture that restores the screen - but not all centers have the tool yet (plus I guess some training is involved).

I was lucky enough to be at service on Monday for a wheel alignment while the tool was passing thru temporarily (I guess it’s making the rounds for training purposes.)

BE PATIENT. Just make sure your service center knows you have the issue and would like to be scheduled when they’re ready.

>> If you wonder why I trust Tesla when they say they’re working on a solution, it’s because my experience has always been that when they say that, they are. (Patience is a bitch though, isn’t it?)

I fear that this is a bandaid not a true fix. This is the email I got from Tesla...

"Mr. Leopold,

Basil forwarded me your request to connect with a service manager in regards to the yellowing border around your Media Control Unit display.

I understand that you would like us to replace the display to resolve the yellowing border around the display, as per other customer reports you have found online.

As it turns out, Tesla has reviewed the cases of yellowing borders forming and determined that this is a cosmetic anomaly, which has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen. Therefore this is not a defect and Tesla has no obligation to replace it under warranty.

Given the above, Tesla has developed a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to remove the yellowing condition for a period of time and we will apply it as a one-time goodwill gesture once this procedure is available.

At this time Tesla will not replace your screen in the Media Control Unit free of charge."

The part that concerns me is the "one-time goodwill". Indicating to me that they expect the problem to persist and they won't fix it again.

Thoughts?

I wonder how hard this would be for someone to do on their own. It probably uses the same type of lights that are in the devices salons use to cure gel nail polish. Does the screen need to be dismantled? I don't have yellowing on my screen, so I can't try it on my own.

I fear that this is a bandaid not a true fix. This is the email I got from Tesla...

"Mr. Leopold,

Basil forwarded me your request to connect with a service manager in regards to the yellowing border around your Media Control Unit display.

I understand that you would like us to replace the display to resolve the yellowing border around the display, as per other customer reports you have found online.

As it turns out, Tesla has reviewed the cases of yellowing borders forming and determined that this is a cosmetic anomaly, which has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen. Therefore this is not a defect and Tesla has no obligation to replace it under warranty.

Given the above, Tesla has developed a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to remove the yellowing condition for a period of time and we will apply it as a one-time goodwill gesture once this procedure is available.

At this time Tesla will not replace your screen in the Media Control Unit free of charge."

The part that concerns me is the "one-time goodwill". Indicating to me that they expect the problem to persist and they won't fix it again.

Thoughts?
I think I feel a lawsuit coming on! I'll sure as hell take this to the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) here in Aus if they don't permanently fix my yellowing, free of charge.

If I had an MCU with a yellow border, I'd try out something like this to cure the glue:

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Blacklight-Flashlights-Sunglasses-Batteries/dp/B015W17OSW/

I have one of these UV lights at home for finding pet accidents.

I am not recommend anyone else doing this, as exposure to UV light can cause cataracts. Eye safety is very important.

But if you do, do wear the supplied glasses. YMMV, don't try this at home, use at your own risk. I also don't know if this (or similar devices) emit the correct UV wavelength to cure the glue.

Since when is a warranty required to provide a permanent fix for issues?

I don't know about permanent, but the 'this is a cosmetic anomaly and not a defect' line isn't going to fly very far. Clearly this is a flaw in the displays as delivered by Tesla. Leaving it at a 'one-time goodwill' application if the known flaw is likely to recur is a shitty move.

With that said, as we all know things are fluid at Tesla. I'm not going to get worked up until someone is actually denied a fix out of warranty.

"Mr. Leopold, Basil forwarded me your request to connect with a service manager in regards to the yellowing border around your Media Control Unit display. I understand that you would like us to replace the display to resolve the yellowing border around the display, as per other customer reports you have found online. As it turns out, Tesla has reviewed the cases of yellowing borders forming and determined that this is a cosmetic anomaly, which has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen. Therefore this is not a defect and Tesla has no obligation to replace it under warranty. Given the above, Tesla has developed a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to remove the yellowing condition for a period of time and we will apply it as a one-time goodwill gesture once this procedure is available. At this time Tesla will not replace your screen in the Media Control Unit free of charge." The part that concerns me is the "one-time goodwill". Indicating to me that they expect the problem to persist and they won't fix it again. Thoughts?

I agree that the statement from Tesla is problematic... they are already stating that the fix is temporary and one-time only.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
My Service Center hasn't figured out a procedure to test brake fluid to see if it needs to be replaced (a pretty easy, standard test) so they just replace it and charge the owner. I hope they manage to get this magic tool by the time I have the problem...:rolleyes:

Good fluid quality in the reservoir does not guarantee good quality throughout the system. Due to regen, the brake fluid does not get the same level of heating that other vehicles expose it to.

To check the quality of fluid in the calipers you need to pull a sample from the calipers (low volume bleed the brakes)
To replace the fluid in the system, you need to pull fluid from the calipers (fully bleed the brakes)
Most of the work is done by the time you've collected the fluid sample, so there is no reason to not flush them at that point (unless you use LCD fluid or ink jet ink in your brakes:)).
Additionally, due to the reduced amount of braking, it's a good idea to verify brake caliper freedom of moment (at least in winter/ salt states).

"Mr. Leopold,

Thoughts?
They don't have long-term reliability testing on this fix, so I read that as being cautious and appropriately setting expectations. Based on the fact that it wasn't cured correctly by the screen mfr to begin with & this appears to finish the curing process, I have higher hopes (though I appreciate their cautious approach). There is one report of an owner saying they had it done approx a year ago & the yellow border has never returned. Time will tell. :)

Thank you for your information. I have now called my service center and they have me on their list for when it's available here. I would have just lived with the yellow, even though it bugs me. The car is so wonderful that I hate to complain about minor things. I just wish they would let me reverse the screen like I could before, so that the camera view is at the top instead of the map. I like to be able to see everything going on behind me and don't need to see the map that much. Maybe they'll fix this too?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911