Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I had the yellowing problem, I'd try the UV light box even in warranty. What's the worst that can happen? Nothing, really. Just try it on a corner of your screen. Don't even need a cardboard box, just something to hold the UV light.

UV light is very dangerous. You can’t see a large portion of the wavelength, and it can burn your eyes. Do not use a UV light without extreme protection measures.

UV light is very dangerous. You can’t see a large portion of the wavelength, and it can burn your eyes. Do not use a UV light without extreme protection measures.

Yes, as I pointed out in Post #52:

I am not recommend anyone else doing this, as exposure to UV light can cause cataracts. Eye safety is very important.

But if you do, do wear the supplied glasses. YMMV, don't try this at home, use at your own risk.

And now I know why Bonnie probably posted and got lucky with her service center just happening to have the tools necessary when she went in for something else.

I got my arbitration manufacturer response... in it, they are using Bonnie's tweet to argue that their repair works and that customers are happy with the solution.

This sounds very suspect to me and warrants further investigation on the longevity of the repair... :cool:

Cross post from another TMC thread... Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

UPDATE: They tried the UV method. It does NOT 100% remove the yellowing, it makes it faint, maybe about 20% of what it was, but if you are looking for it you can 100% see it still, especially if you turn on sketchpad so the screen is white.

The manager tried to argue with me that it was reduced, but I pointed out the arbitration agreement stating it must be repaired.
They are now trying a second time I believe, which I don't think will make any more difference.
Ironically, trying to cheap out on the screen has cost them significantly more than just replacing it:
4 days of model s enterprise rental (dropped off on Friday)
$600 in uber credit (switch to this through Saturday)
Plus whatever arbitration costs them.

Last edited:
And now I know why Bonnie probably posted and got lucky with her service center just happening to have the tools necessary when she went in for something else.

I got my arbitration manufacturer response... in it, they are using Bonnie's tweet to argue that their repair works and that customers are happy with the solution.

Is this a response to a request to arbitrate or is this the how they are trying to arbitrate the issue?

Is this a response to a request to arbitrate or is this the how they are trying to arbitrate the issue?

This is in their official written response to the arbiters request for a Manufacturer Response. So I imagine it might come up in the actual hearing as well. Tesla's response is almost word for word what the other poster provided, with the addition of a screenshot of Bonnie's tweet

• Informative
Reactions: alcibiades
I have been waiting almost a year for a fix since I first reported this. I sent support a followup email asking when this will be finally corrected and this was their response: "Tesla has reviewed these cases and determined this is a cosmetic anomaly, which has no impact on performance, function or reliability of the touchscreen. We are in the process of releasing a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to reduce the yellowing condition. More information will be available later this year regarding the fix."

So they are deeming this not a defect but a cosmetic anomaly?

If that's evidence, then I'd screen cap some of Bonnie's other posts to show that she is a financially and emotionally invested -- and not an unbiased -- customer.

This is surreal.

Reactions: FlatSix911
If that's evidence, then I'd screen cap some of Bonnie's other posts to show that she is a financially and emotionally invested -- and not an unbiased -- customer.
That's probably impossible because everyone has biases. Bonnie has consistently been a source of very good information and advice over the past decade and has helped some Tesla owners (and beekeepers) get resolutions to their issues. So if there is a conflict between Bonnie's advice and someone else's, I'll go with what Bonnie says.

This is in their official written response to the arbiters request for a Manufacturer Response. So I imagine it might come up in the actual hearing as well. Tesla's response is almost word for word what the other poster provided, with the addition of a screenshot of Bonnie's tweet

Well Thanks A LOT Bonnie!!!! :) [NOTE: I am saying this is fun!]

That is hilarious. But it does show us that Tesla is reading some of the posts here!

Mine is 2.5 years old and not showing any yellowing despite 2 years in hot Texas...

I bought my Model X on 30th sept, 2018 with life time supercharging and I have used that on and off and now since Monday I am being charged for supercharger use @ 0.28. Is this something new and have they cancelled the free supercharging as promised last year!!

This pretty much lays out the timeline of my fix, for the doubters here on TMC:

Bonnie Norman on Twitter
Bonnie,

How closely have you looked at yours? Mine was NOT fully fixed via this method, I have a thread over in the S section if anyone wants to see more details about their arbitration process (Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!)

Here is an after photo showing the yellowing is still there(note: this is after the second attempt, I forgot to grab photos after the first attempt):

View media item 120095

Bonnie,

How closely have you looked at yours? Mine was NOT fully fixed via this method, I have a thread over in the S section if anyone wants to see more details about their arbitration process (Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!)

Here is an after photo showing the yellowing is still there(note: this is after the second attempt, I forgot to grab photos after the first attempt):

View media item 120095
I saw your post earlier & double-checked mine this afternoon. It's clean. I checked it with sketchpad on so no background would interfere. Nothing. Sorry it didn't clear yours up. It worked for me. Maybe mine wasn't as bad to begin with?

Reactions: MP3Mike