Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Realizing this will be unpopular, and only putting it out there for a data point. The closest parallel I could come up with for the yellowing issue is screen burn on TVs.
That was not covered by warranty either.
What is Burn-in on my television?

My experience with burn in, is it takes years for it to happen, and the TV is essentially left on constantly. Only had it happen once, and it was under those circumstances. Also, I use my iPad 8-10 hours a day, and have never had an issue. Last, it is a customer sat item. If this is their posture, it goes into the mix around future purchase decisions.

Reactions: neroden
Burn-in was caused by use, and usually only under specific use where the same static image was displayed for very long periods of time.

This yellowing happens without use, and is not due to any type of use by the customer.

With the caveat that these are separate things, and that an off TV would not burn in, it did not require a long time.
One morning's worth of school closure banners on the news was enough to ruin a TV.
The Roku I got for Christmas killed our LCD in under a week (think it was a couple days).
Watching the same channel (with a bug in the corner) was warned against by the manufacturer:
What is Screen Burn in Samsung Plasma TV's? | Samsung Support India

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Realizing this will be unpopular, and only putting it out there for a data point. The closest parallel I could come up with for the yellowing issue is screen burn on TVs.
That was not covered by warranty either.
What is Burn-in on my television?

It will be unpopular because its an apples to oranges comparison to which you are again implying should not be covered under warranty.

Just stop it.

Eh, he's clearly not pleased that anyone would want a non-defective product. And yes, "yellowing" is a defect. Period.

Why is anyone dedicating time arguing that point again?

To be clear: I would not be happy with a yellowing screen, I'm not saying anyone should be happy with a yellowing screen. I'm sorry you are going through this.

I got this Hitoday via SMS:

Hi this is the Tesla Service Team. Tesla has reviewed the issue with the yellow anomalies on the touchscreens and determined two courses of action to correct them. Our team is developing a procedure to correct the yellowing and "revive" the display. There will be no cost associated with this procedure while the vehicle is under warranty or if the issue is noted prior to the limited warranty expiring. This revive procedure will be available early Fall. The second option is a replacement of the touchscreen with an updated revision that will resist any yellowing. As there will be a procedure to address the issue and the function of the screen is not affected, the replacement option is not covered by the vehicle's warranty. Let us know which direction you would prefer to go so we can adjust your appointment as such. Thank you!

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd and MP3Mike

Hi this is the Tesla Service Team. Tesla has reviewed the issue with the yellow anomalies on the touchscreens and determined two courses of action to correct them. Our team is developing a procedure to correct the yellowing and "revive" the display. There will be no cost associated with this procedure while the vehicle is under warranty or if the issue is noted prior to the limited warranty expiring. This revive procedure will be available early Fall. The second option is a replacement of the touchscreen with an updated revision that will resist any yellowing. As there will be a procedure to address the issue and the function of the screen is not affected, the replacement option is not covered by the vehicle's warranty. Let us know which direction you would prefer to go so we can adjust your appointment as such. Thank you!

Let’s say you’re planning to sell your car TODAY. The yellowing can’t be fixed so it’s value will naturally be lower, given the central nature of the touchscreen and its functional and aesthetic prominence in an otherwise sparsely-furnished interior. That would require Tesla to replace it today. Sorry Tesla.

Given this is happening on late 2018 / new 2019 models already this raises a few questions.

1 -"an updated revision that will resist any yellowing", how can any customer be 100% confident that the updated revision will actually be fixed and not yellow in 1 year or 5 years if current models are still having the old faulty screens fitted on the production line up until not long ago. Have they actually been testing these new screens for a year to cover hot summers and cold winter conditions in the real world?

2 - The UV fix will be temporary, I'll put money down that it will come back on any 'healed' screen unless Tesla can come out and say it was a manufacturing defect rather than a design defect (or below spec product).

3 - Fact - Tesla has been fitting knowingly faulty screens for years that are going to yellow, but it's not their fault apparently.

Last year Kia had an issue with the yellow paint on the Stinger, this particular colour would develop blemishes within a year when exposed to the sun, they identified the cause and had all the cars resprayed with the correctly prepared paint with no cost to the owner. That is how you keep customers for life, whilst I wouldn't be particularly happy my new car needed a respray at least they weren't told it is only cosmetic so it's not covered under warranty.

Hi this is the Tesla Service Team. Tesla has reviewed the issue with the yellow anomalies on the touchscreens and determined two courses of action to correct them. Our team is developing a procedure to correct the yellowing and "revive" the display. There will be no cost associated with this procedure while the vehicle is under warranty or if the issue is noted prior to the limited warranty expiring. This revive procedure will be available early Fall.
The second option is a replacement of the touchscreen with an updated revision that will resist any yellowing. As there will be a procedure to address the issue and the function of the screen is not affected, the replacement option is not covered by the vehicle's warranty. Let us know which direction you would prefer to go so we can adjust your appointment as such. Thank you!

Sounds like Tesla is admitting that they have a screen issue and the permanent fix is not covered under warranty.
Only the temporary UV "revival" is covered... :cool:

Tesla says the UV fix is temporary and will "reduce its effect" on the screen. They also say the latest screen's "are not susceptible to the yellowing".

But they have this knack for not telling the truth or more often telling us anything at all. So who knows if the latter is true? Not me. But if I had a choice, I'd opt for a new screen. Seems like it won't be worse than the UV machine.

UPDATE:

They tried the UV method. It does NOT 100% remove the yellowing, it makes it faint, maybe about 20% of what it was, but if you are looking for it you can 100% see it still, especially if you turn on sketchpad so the screen is white.

The manager tried to argue with me that it was reduced, but I pointed out the arbitration agreement stating it must be repaired.

They are now trying a second time I believe, which I don't think will make any more difference.

Ironically, trying to cheap out on the screen has cost them significantly more then just replacing it:

4 days of model s enterprise rental (dropped off on Friday)
$600 in uber credit (switch to this through Saturday)
Plus whatever arbitration costs them.

UPDATE:

They tried the UV method. It does NOT 100% remove the yellowing, it makes it faint, maybe about 20% of what it was, but if you are looking for it you can 100% see it still, especially if you turn on sketchpad so the screen is white...

Thanks - so it appears you won the arbitration, but then they tried to apply the UV solution. Is that correct?

Can you provide some pictures of before and after?

Also any tips on the arbitration hearing process?

I have a hearing date coming up soon.

If they get everyone in to change screens there won’t be any service availability for a while..plus all the logistics to cover all the markets with parts. I was hoping the UV is working. Someone posted that it works even if you let the screen in the sun with the roof open. I had also seen posting with before and after and it looked clean.