Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So does the UV light above work to remove the yellow?

Yes... did you read the post?> :cool:

For those of you who are fed up with Tesla and would like a DIY solution to the yellow border problem...
here is an interesting fix. :cool:
Cross-post from ucmndd: DIY UV Treatment for Yellowed MCU Screen

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDWKNMK?tag=tmc064-20

51yscwHfBJL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I complained to my SC on Monday that it had been 11 months since the yellow border had appeared, they got back to me saying they currently have the UV machine and there was a slot for today if I could make it ... just got back ... it's like new again! The photos don't do it justice ... if you're still waiting for the fix, just politely hassle your local SC.

Attachments

• yellow screen fix compare.jpg
    yellow screen fix compare.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 183
I just had my yellow bordered screen UV treated in Indianapolis.
The yellow is gone.
When I picked up the car this morning the lady in front of me
was dropping off her S for the treatment.
The service tech. advised her to leave the car because it
was a 2 hour long process or longer and perhaps too long to wait for...

I'm happy with the results.

Shawn

Thanks Bonnie for the posts. Interesting situation here. I took my 2017 X in for a completely different minor reason (firmware issue) and when checking out, they told me that during a courtesy inspection they noticed the yellow border, and if I want to schedule to come back, they can fix it in 2 hours. Glad to hear there is a fix for it.

This was a surprise because I did not have the yellow border when taking in the car this morning. I SURELY would have noticed it because it was obvious when I got in the car after service. Also, I had taken some photos of the screen just 2 days before going to the service center to send to them to show a firmware hangup. Now I wonder what happened at the service center during the firmware update that caused a yellow border? Coincidence? I doubt it. I'm just mentioning this because it seems odd; not complaining about my service center. They have been FABULOUS in the couple times I have been there in the past..... getting an extra FOB programmed and getting the half shaft issue fixed a few months ago.

I guess I will schedule to go back for a coupe hours in the near future and have them fix it. It's not an annoyance to me, but definitely noticeable at any brightness level.

Is anyone having Tesla trying to charge for the yellow border fix? I reported mine on a 2017 last year, and they said the machine was coming so they held me off. Finally got a appointment scheduled, and they are trying to charge me $87.50. Never had it done before.

Is it just an estimate that says that there will be no charge if the work is covered under warranty?

Yes, it's in the estimate in the app. But I'm taking the car in for about 10 other things, and they are all priced at zero (even ones I wasn't sure they would cover under warranty). So I assumed a human had actually filtered these.
Are you saying that they won't actually try and charge me?
First time I am taking the car in in about a year so this whole pre-estimate thing is new.

Yes, it's in the estimate in the app. But I'm taking the car in for about 10 other things, and they are all priced at zero (even ones I wasn't sure they would cover under warranty). So I assumed a human had actually filtered these.
Are you saying that they won't actually try and charge me?
First time I am taking the car in in about a year so this whole pre-estimate thing is new.

You should not be charged. I wasn't.

My 12/2018 MCU2 developed the yellow border. SC did the UV thing, said it helped. I came out to the car to see the same darn yellow border exactly like before. I promptly marched back in and nicely said "is that the best you can do?" "ok I'll replace the MCU for you, parts requested" Sweet. Scheduled for replacement under warranty. I'm buying new tires too so that helps the SC out a bit with revenue. Squeaky wheels get the grease.