Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 recently upgraded, and 2023.44.30.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0457.jpeg

Apparently a bunch of people have experienced this and even Tesla is puzzled. ECUS being replaced or SW reinstalled and temporary fixes it. I want to say my forward facing cameras or the cabling has a short or surge occurring. I’ve opened up a service ticket tonight. Drove on the hwy 60-70mph, no change. Will update on 1/17/24 lol. (These guys probably gonna ask me to pay for something that was working fine before they touched it)

View attachment 1004451
Apparently a bunch of people have experienced this and even Tesla is puzzled. ECUS being replaced or SW reinstalled and temporary fixes it. I want to say my forward facing cameras or the cabling has a short or surge occurring. I’ve opened up a service ticket tonight. Drove on the hwy 60-70mph, no change. Will update on 1/17/24 lol. (These guys probably gonna ask me to pay for something that was working fine before they touched it)
Did you get the new software, is your issue still present?

Did you get the new software, is your issue still present?
still on 44.30.6

I saw another post where the SC thought the firmware was installed incomplete. They power cycled the 12V battery and reinstalled the firmware but the issue reappeared days later.

The SC then replaced the car computer, reinstalled firmware and drivers profiles, and found the old APE stays out of recovery mode and continues with camera calibration…

I’m quiet upset as my car is out of warranty and the hwy AP was working fine, paid $3k for MCU2 and Battery Coolant Heater and now I can’t use FSD or any AP features… I feel they caused an electrical short or fried the computer, as it worked fine before the install, but they probably won’t see it that way.

Wait for .8 maybe. Do the soft reset and then change the language and then back to English from the settings. It causes a reboot as well. Try it and report back if driving fast allows the cameras to calibrate.

If you’re having a hard time understanding how to do the DAS resets and the reboots I might be able to walk you through it. Hard to believe your AP computer completely died when others have been able to reset.

I started getting this AutoSteer temporarily unavailable alerts few days after the holiday updates (44.30.6 now). If was working fine even after the updates, then suddenly popping up. Reset doesn't work but the first time after I recalibrate the cameras, the functions are restored, then one time I saw the warning of not available but may restore in next drive when I entered the car in the morning but still works. Curiously the third time I found the APP_w207 alert at 2am in the morning - everyone including the garaged Tesla is sleeping, but I don't encounter any problem the next day.

Then yesterday it happened again, reset doesn't work, but I stopped & exited several times, finally power off, charge it for few minutes then the functions are restored. I am suspecting there is a bug in the firmware, I upgraded the MCU and cameras long time ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damien Sandow
I started getting this AutoSteer temporarily unavailable alerts few days after the holiday updates (44.30.6 now). If was working fine even after the updates, then suddenly popping up. Reset doesn't work but the first time after I recalibrate the cameras, the functions are restored, then one time I saw the warning of not available but may restore in next drive when I entered the car in the morning but still works. Curiously the third time I found the APP_w207 alert at 2am in the morning - everyone including the garaged Tesla is sleeping, but I don't encounter any problem the next day.

Then yesterday it happened again, reset doesn't work, but I stopped & exited several times, finally power off, charge it for few minutes then the functions are restored. I am suspecting there is a bug in the firmware, I upgraded the MCU and cameras long time ago.
My service appt has been moved up to the 10th, Wednesday. I asked if I could get a force re-install but the person on the other side said they'd rather investigate in person.

My service appt has been moved up to the 10th, Wednesday. I asked if I could get a force re-install but the person on the other side said they'd rather investigate in person.
I will push them to make absolutely sure this is a software issue before agreeing to pay for any hardware fixes. If there is a bug in the firmware and forces everyone to replace with new hardwares then it is very bad.

Last edited:
Not to thread jack, but i just ran into this issue this morning with TACC/AP/FSD not wanting to engage. Actually got FSD to turn on this morning first, but noticed it wasn't steering away from the sidewalk so i took over. Couldn't re-engage anything afterwards, and the road markings and lane lines disappeared from the visualization.

Doesn't seem unique to new MCU2 installs, as I've had MCU2 for almost 2 years now and it just now did this. For what it's worth, my service screen shows a similar error to yours (the one for Pedal Monitor Warning) but that's never impacted anything before. But the "ESP_d137" is a new one for me, so naturally I suspect it's tied to the Autopilot errors.

I have a mobile service appointment scheduled for this week, but i'm hoping it resolves itself somehow before then. Reboots haven't fixed it, but might try resetting DAS and/or recalibrating cameras later

Reactions: Damien Sandow
Not to thread jack, but i just ran into this issue this morning with TACC/AP/FSD not wanting to engage. Actually got FSD to turn on this morning first, but noticed it wasn't steering away from the sidewalk so i took over. Couldn't re-engage anything afterwards, and the road markings and lane lines disappeared from the visualization.

Doesn't seem unique to new MCU2 installs, as I've had MCU2 for almost 2 years now and it just now did this. For what it's worth, my service screen shows a similar error to yours (the one for Pedal Monitor Warning) but that's never impacted anything before. But the "ESP_d137" is a new one for me, so naturally I suspect it's tied to the Autopilot errors.

I have a mobile service appointment scheduled for this week, but i'm hoping it resolves itself somehow before then. Reboots haven't fixed it, but might try resetting DAS and/or recalibrating cameras later
I am more inclined to say this is likely a bug in the firmware, I also got a MCU failed to access USB devices in the notification at 5am in the morning where it should be sleeping. It doesn't show in anywhere until I access the notifications button.

Do you have HW3 on your 16' MX?

Went on call with @cmwagner75DX

The holiday update as of and up to 2023.44.30.6 legitimately screwed his prior functioning DAS.

Full FW reinstall
Hard reset
Soft reset
DAS reset
Calibration Cleared w/ Calibration attempt

No matter what the DAS loiters in INIT status and moves to CRITICAL.

No apparent end user solution. This is synonymous with other users reporting similar issues and service center resorting to replacing the hardware.

2017 Model S 75D, HW3
I think I was typing and thinking of my car lol.

I just ran a diagnosis with @TK211X and it seems the ECU (SecB) has been corrupted.
Test consisted of the following:
1. Scroll wheel reset
2. Change Language to force reboot\
3. Software Re-install (Full)
4. Reset Camera Calibration and DAS
(NO GOOD)

Luckily for me, it was working fine prior to the PTC Heater replacement and MCU2 upgrade so I'm inclined to think TESLA is accountable for replacing the ECU as it seems to have been damaged during their possession of the car. Will update this thread on Wednesday. 😕

I think I was typing and thinking of my car lol.

I just ran a diagnosis with @TK211X and it seems the ECU (SecB) has been corrupted.
Test consisted of the following:
1. Scroll wheel reset
2. Change Language to force reboot\
3. Software Re-install (Full)
4. Reset Camera Calibration and DAS
(NO GOOD)

Luckily for me, it was working fine prior to the PTC Heater replacement and MCU2 upgrade so I'm inclined to think TESLA is accountable for replacing the ECU as it seems to have been damaged during their possession of the car. Will update this thread on Wednesday. 😕
Oops, i also typo'd, i am in a 2016, not '17. I may try out that test as well, figure it wouldn't hurt anything at this point. All fingers point to a buggy software update though, based on how many people are suddenly experiencing similar issues. Notably, according to TeslaFi, 2023.44.30.8 is starting to push out wider after being limited earlier to just HW4 cars. i don't think it's landed on my car yet, but i wonder if this will fix the issue

Oops, i also typo'd, i am in a 2016, not '17. I may try out that test as well, figure it wouldn't hurt anything at this point. All fingers point to a buggy software update though, based on how many people are suddenly experiencing similar issues. Notably, according to TeslaFi, 2023.44.30.8 is starting to push out wider after being limited earlier to just HW4 cars. i don't think it's landed on my car yet, but i wonder if this will fix the issue
No harm to try.

is TeslaFi free to use? phone app?