Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been doing daily drives to rack up some miles and get a good FSD score. It's really helped me get to know the car, and some of its foibles -- including, O Ye Bane of Banes -- rattles. Now, I'm a pretty forgiving person when it comes to car cosmetics. But rattles: rattles I cannot abide.

Early on I found that taping the latches, while helpful, wasn't enough to make my car sufficiently quiet. I noticed the backseats have some areas where plastic seemed to rub on plastic, and suspected this might be part of the problem.

So I broke out my trusty roll of gaffer's tape and applied some to both ends of each seat, plus one of the sides where the two seats meet in the middle. This has seemingly done the trick. Car was very close to dead quiet even over a stretch of bumpy road the last couple days.

Photos showing where I applied the tape, in case anyone is interested...

(1) Along the interface where the 60/40 seats meet:
View attachment 752435

(2) Interface where the edge of each seat meets the car:
View attachment 752436

Finally, note this was a semi-experimental application, so it's not nice and tidy, nor full-length in all cases. I may replace it, or I might leave well enough alone. :)
this was helpful. i actually have a roll of gaffer's tape i never used (bought to hold down microphone wires while giving seminars) - will keep this in mind if i ever get my car!

Reactions: chrisdh79
Hi all,
is the 9/3 checklist the latest? it's pretty comprehensive.
I was going over it last night, and trying to figure out what may be true "now" versus a few months ago.
i believe there are matts, key fobs, panel covers missing these days.
i'm also not sure about the charger, i THINK it is supposed to come with a 110 and a14-50 and then also the J1772 adapter?
lastly, do we know if the reverse light in the center consol (i.e. open console, light out, close console, light goes on) - is that a software of a hardware fix?
thanks (trying to get ready)

Hi all,
is the 9/3 checklist the latest? it's pretty comprehensive.
I was going over it last night, and trying to figure out what may be true "now" versus a few months ago.
i believe there are matts, key fobs, panel covers missing these days.
i'm also not sure about the charger, i THINK it is supposed to come with a 110 and a14-50 and then also the J1772 adapter?
lastly, do we know if the reverse light in the center consol (i.e. open console, light out, close console, light goes on) - is that a software of a hardware fix?
thanks (trying to get ready)

No 14-50 for the charger, only the 120v plug these days.
It seems that all the refresh S cars have the same console light problem, so probably a software bug.

No 14-50 for the charger, only the 120v plug these days.
It seems that all the refresh S cars have the same console light problem, so probably a software bug.
thanks, actually if all of them have it, i'd imagine it's a hardware bug, like using normally closed versus nomally open on a switch, if software i'd imagine that oculd be easily fixed...but who knows?
bummer about the 14-50 - one less thing for me to fight about at the center.
i'd still be interested to know if if there is a newer checklist.
thanks again!

thanks, actually if all of them have it, i'd imagine it's a hardware bug, like using normally closed versus nomally open on a switch, if software i'd imagine that oculd be easily fixed...but who knows?
thanks again!
I think it is software, but make sure to note it at delivery. Hopefully enough people complaining about it will actually get it noticed by engineering and they'll fix the damn software. Also, note the yoke buzzing after you push any button (listen near the headlamp button on the yoke) and the rear view mirror hooting fan sounds. Both are also likely software bugs that they could fix, if they knew about them....

The checklist should be up to date, it was last edited Jan 7, 22.

You can also look forward to the half shaft vibrations, after putting about 1000 miles on the car. No fix is available yet... 😅

thanks again!
The original post was edited as of 1/7/2022. I would say it is pretty current.

thanks, january 7 is pretty current to me! (however the checklist iteslf still says 20210903.docx, and last modified on friday, september 3, 2021 @ 2:09 a.m. - ouch, this is what you do at 2:09 a.m.?
I would suggest a minor addition, perhaps by the wheels/tires, "inspect tires for bubbles or foreign objects. before going for test drive, roll tires 1/2 roll and look for foreign objects on rest of tire" - something like that.
i'm imagining getting home with a flat.
i am also putting a sticky note on the sheet, and it says, "raise suspension in driveway" - i plan to geo do that but when i get it, i don't want to scratch the bottom on day 1.
lastly, on verify pre=-delivery - might not be terrible to have a spot for someone to write their vin that they're checking against everything. yes, on insurance card, etc. but I expect a lot to be going on.
this checklist is amazing - thank you for the hard and thorough work!

thanks, january 7 is pretty current to me! (however the checklist iteslf still says 20210903.docx, and last modified on friday, september 3, 2021 @ 2:09 a.m. - ouch, this is what you do at 2:09 a.m.?
I would suggest a minor addition, perhaps by the wheels/tires, "inspect tires for bubbles or foreign objects. before going for test drive, roll tires 1/2 roll and look for foreign objects on rest of tire" - something like that.
i'm imagining getting home with a flat.
i am also putting a sticky note on the sheet, and it says, "raise suspension in driveway" - i plan to geo do that but when i get it, i don't want to scratch the bottom on day 1.
lastly, on verify pre=-delivery - might not be terrible to have a spot for someone to write their vin that they're checking against everything. yes, on insurance card, etc. but I expect a lot to be going on.
this checklist is amazing - thank you for the hard and thorough work!
It might only be the first post that has been updated. Not sure about the word doc.

At least my delivery center didn't let me drive the car before accepting delivery, so I don't know if you'll be able to do that.

Definitely photograph everything before leaving the lot. They will make you show photos of any blemishes that were taken at delivery to cover the costs of fixing them.

Alex, "FOMO, for $2000...."
Exactly... Or arbitrage. The price is going up, the resale value has to go up slightly as well, unless Tesla cuts the price later on once there is competition. If they up it again to $15k, that would be really insane.

Another scenario: they call FSD feature complete once it can barely drive local roads and then the value drops because it sucks.

Exactly... Or arbitrage. The price is going up, the resale value has to go up slightly as well, unless Tesla cuts the price later on once there is competition. If they up it again to $15k, that would be really insane.

Another scenario: they call FSD feature complete once it can barely drive local roads and then the value drops because it sucks.
I have significant FOMO, added FSD about a month after my order, then had it removed in December, and almost added it back.
1) my neighbor all but twisted my arm and warned me it was crap
2) i keep reading about the NHSTA or whoever being unhappy with it
3) I keep hearing it doesn't work as intended.
Last night I saw a Mike Seuss video trying it out via subscription in August (So not Beta) - the summon was dismal, and he couldn't get NOA to work on a regular basis (I think he was trying on City streets and it's not there yet).
My thought - let 11 come out, or even 11.1, and don't make me spend $10k to audition and hope i get a good score and can beta. If it takes them 6 months to get to that point, i can then subscribe, whether it stays $199 or goes to $250 or whatever - i'll still be way ahead. I plan to keep the car no more than 3 years, so that would be $7,200 at the current $199 if i got it out of the gate, and i don't plan to.
I have read mixed things - that it does add value if you trade it in (even to tesla) or that if you trade to tesla, they drop the FSD, but if you sell to a third party, the FSD stays on the car.
I dunno.
I still think they should charge $2k across the board and put it in all the cars, like autopilot, or air conditioning.
just my .02.

Hey guys, I’ve been updating my first post as people have found new issues to add to the list (I’m obviously not taking new deliveries regularly since I got my Plaid in late-August)

As for the PDF that was attached, this isn’t mine so I’m not sure who created it or is maintaining it. I didn’t even attach it to my OP, someone must have requested a mod to do that.

Hey guys, I’ve been updating my first post as people have found new issues to add to the list (I’m obviously not taking new deliveries regularly since I got my Plaid in late-August)

As for the PDF that was attached, this isn’t mine so I’m not sure who created it or is maintaining it. I didn’t even attach it to my OP, someone must have requested a mod to do that.
thanks Marc, i'll scrub the pdf versus the text, use a ouija board, and have my new checklist! :)

Bunch of reports are coming in about low-speed steering popping sounds over in this thread:

Exciting news. Checked the app. Looks like they're working on my car finally woot
Screenshot_20220119-082907.png

• Love
Reactions: cwanja
Exciting news. Checked the app. Looks like they're working on my car finally woot View attachment 757393
And it's done! Woot woot. Back in my garage. Though still missing the trunk load cover haha. Fixed everything else though. Oh how I missed this.

And a pleasant surprise. FSD Beta 10.9

Edit: and now my glovebox doesn't close. I can't even make this up

Attachments

• PXL_20220119_225545154.jpg
    PXL_20220119_225545154.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 79
Future 2022 Model S buyer Thanks you for the list. My question is: Is Tesla addressing these "known issues" or they just pushing units out for production quotas? I've seen no info, news, or public postings from Tesla's quality group, or if they even exist. Seems it's all internal and on production numbers. Quality has to be built in and not forced fixed at the backend of production. Appears they don't care about what being produced and not trying to be better. They won't be the king of the EV's for long just because they are to market first. Pintos, Vegas, and the Studebaker come to mind, how soon we forget. Enuff said.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc