Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes EQS Sedan: Rival to Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I ordered the EQS. Looking forward to it. It will be a nice high tech alternative to driving the Tesla Cybertruck which I also have on order.
Nice! I'm thinking about it... Yep, Tesla seems to think poverty spec interior features are what people want so they give you very little. The EQS is actually luxury. Also guess which one is more likely to show up in your garage first LOL

Those euros just can't let the binnacle go!
I actually prefer the binnacle to the model 3's screen. in the model 3 you need to divert your eyes to do things with the binnacle the info is in your field of view while keeping your eyes where they belong, on the road ahead of you. the tesla way, while innovative isn't really the best way of transmitting info or controlling the car's functions

Sigh.. I've loved my now six year old P85D and have a deposit on a plaid+ that I put in on battery day, but the EQS is the first car that I can see pulling me away from Tesla. First, I'm about to move from the Virginia countryside (where I can drive fast) back to crowded New England. If I get the plaid+, I'm afraid I might be tempted to explore the 160 MPH trap speed on public roads and end up in a ball of flame or prison. Second, what I hear about the AMG version of the EQS that's another year out would probably price it not far away from the plaid+ and give me the 3 seconds to 60 that I'm familiar and comfortable with. Third, my experience with Mercedes service is not great, but it's better than with Tesla's. I had a Mercedes S500 in the early 2000s, and the interior was very good looking, plush and quiet. The EQS range means I can just charge at home and not worry about the lack of a charging network. Believe it or not I have free supercharging for the life of my P85D but have never once used it in the 72k miles I've driven, having only charged at home - we use my wife's gas SUV for multi-day trips. I expect charging exclusively at home will continue.

Frankly, what it will come down to is what the plaid+ turns out to be when it's finally introduced, and most of all it depends on the comparison between Tesla's highway autopilot and its Mercedes equivalent for freeway driving and in particular its ability to handle stop and go traffic. I have no interest in Tesla's so-called full self driving on secondary roads: I see no advantage in a level 2 system where you have to constantly monitor it and take over on local roads with no notice. I expect 1 hour trips (in ideal traffic) on I95 into Boston at least a couple times a week. If the Mercedes system is not as good as Tesla's, then the plaid+ will be it. If Mercedes brings their upcoming level 3 Drive Pilot to the US, then it's absolutely the EQS. The plaid+ will probably come out before the AMG EQS, so I won't jump ship until I see what the plaid+ offers.

Last edited:
Sigh.. I've loved my now six year old P85D and have a deposit on a plaid+ that I put in on battery day, but the EQS is the first car that I can see pulling me away from Tesla. First, I'm about to move from the Virginia countryside (where I can drive fast) back to crowded New England. If I get the plaid+, I'm afraid I might be tempted to explore the 160 MPH trap speed on public roads and end up in a ball of flame or prison. Second, what I hear about the AMG version of the EQS that's another year out would probably price it not far away from the plaid+ and give me the 3 seconds to 60 that I'm familiar and comfortable with. Third, my experience with Mercedes service is not great, but it's better than with Tesla's. I had a Mercedes S500 in the early 2000s, and the interior was very good looking, plush and quiet. The EQS range means I can just charge at home and not worry about the lack of a charging network. Believe it or not I have free supercharging for the life of my P85D but have never once used it in the 72k miles I've driven, having only charged at home - we use my wife's gas SUV for multi-day trips. I expect charging exclusively at home will continue.

Frankly, what it will come down to is what the plaid+ turns out to be when it's finally introduced, and most of all it depends on the comparison between Tesla's highway autopilot and its Mercedes equivalent for freeway driving and in particular its ability to handle stop and go traffic. I have no interest in Tesla's so-called full self driving on secondary roads: I see no advantage in a level 2 system where you have to constantly monitor it and take over on local roads with no notice. I expect 1 hour trips (in ideal traffic) on I95 into Boston at least a couple times a week. If the Mercedes system is not as good as Tesla's, then the plaid+ will be it. If Mercedes brings their upcoming level 3 Drive Pilot to the US, then it's absolutely the EQS. The plaid+ will probably come out before the AMG EQS, so I won't jump ship until I see what the plaid+ offers.
@sillydriver I thought the Plaid+ was completely scrapped, because the Plaid is so amazing, and not delayed.

Tesla likely bit off more than they can chew with making their new cells, and it'll be a while until we see any vehicles with them.

Don’t know about biting off more than they can chew … they never said 100% that new Model Y would have them. Indeed from the get go, they said their backup plan was to continue to use 2170s. It’s a combo of the new Austin factory being ready frankly ahead of time and the 4680 taking a little bit longer than best case.

Don’t know about biting off more than they can chew … they never said 100% that new Model Y would have them. Indeed from the get go, they said their backup plan was to continue to use 2170s. It’s a combo of the new Austin factory being ready frankly ahead of time and the 4680 taking a little bit longer than best case.
I'm not seeing any mention in this thread of the Model Y having the new cells. They converted all Plaid+ orders to regular Plaid once they determined they wouldn't be able to produce the cells in large enough quantities to fulfill them.