Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Merlin has arrived at home!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received mine and love it as well... I have had minor problems here and there but the car is unreal and the positives outweigh any small things I like about the S more. Nearly had a panic attack signing the contracts. Dropping 155k on a car was a real bungie jumping experience! lol...

Big "congratulations" to you. I hope you are finding it worth the wait, the price, and more.

Thanks for the pictures, and don't become a stranger now that you've got your wizard.

Worth the wait? Definitely!

Worth the cost? Well, if I'm completely honest there is no way any car is worth nearly twice the cost of my first house! But I had accommodated myself to the expected price when I reserved and the bumps from that expectation were my conscious choice so I accepted the cost in the end! I'm doing my part for the environment, I don't have to fill gas ever again and the zoom, OH THE ZOOM! :)

I spent some time yesterday playing with different ways to fit the plane into the car, I wish I could find a way to drop the plane past the seats a little more, I could fit two planes (of this size) together that way.

One BIG problem I discovered, I was at a supercharger station after flying at a field near the supercharger and some people came over to take a look. I showed them how to access the back seat, sending the middle row forward slid the front seats forward (fine) but returning the middle row to latch position slid the FRONT seat back past it's original position, which started to crush on my plane's horizontal stabilizer!!!!! If I hadn't been quick on the controls I would have lost a 3k airplane! I'm going to have to figure out these patterns of movement and how to prevent them.

Fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing and congratulations on taking delivery. Enjoy Model X.

You are right about the seat movement. Tesla Motors has changed the movement with different software versions, so be ready if the seat movement changes again. At least they stopped the passenger door from closing automatically during the start up of Model X.

Congratulations. Merlin is also the name of the engine used in the Spitfire fighter plane. So the fact you like planes as well, is a great choice for a name.
Not to mention the engine in the P-58! Nothing sounds like a Rolls Royce Merlin Engine

A Merlin is also a type of Falcon.

And, of course, Merlin was a great magician and Teslas are so magical!

My wife came up with the name and it just seemed perfectly appropriate. My Prius with smart key (from 2004) was named Radar (after Radar O'Reilly from M*A*S*H) because it always knew I was coming. Merlin takes Radar to the next level!

Reactions: ModelX
Don't forget we have a new field in ModelXTracker for Month and Year of manufacture. Mine was 01/2016 as it was finished mid-January.

We also have new fiend to track mileage at pickup as one person reported over 200 miles.

Plenty of info from the sensors, yes they are red and it stops telling me the distance at 12" but this car creeps forward so gently it's very easy to judge the position from there.

I do have a laser dot system, but I haven't positioned/calibrated it for the X yet.

Just an FYI, you really shouldn't have to go through all that trouble to properly park your model X in the garage. I have the same 'tight' fitting garage and if you use the summons feature, the car will park itself perfectly every time! I currently have my Model S programmed under summons to park 8 inches from the front cabinets and honestly, this is the easiest way to park your car every time without having to worry about being too close or too far.

Not so much! I have "stuff" on the left side of the garage near the front of the garage that causes Merlin to make entry too far to the right, it then proceeds in and encounters our recycling bin on the right. I played with it a bit last night and if I stand on the right side of the garage about the same distance from the desired slot as the stuff on the left, Merlin enters nicely centered and then I can kind of walk him in. At the end though, he stops too far short of the back wall, so when the garage door closes I can't get around to the other side of Merlin without the garage door open. When I park Merlin myself I can easily walk behind him to get to the charge port and my workbench, etc.

Not so much! I have "stuff" on the left side of the garage near the front of the garage that causes Merlin to make entry too far to the right, it then proceeds in and encounters our recycling bin on the right. I played with it a bit last night and if I stand on the right side of the garage about the same distance from the desired slot as the stuff on the left, Merlin enters nicely centered and then I can kind of walk him in. At the end though, he stops too far short of the back wall, so when the garage door closes I can't get around to the other side of Merlin without the garage door open. When I park Merlin myself I can easily walk behind him to get to the charge port and my workbench, etc.
distance adjustments for summon in settings does not help to keep Merlin parked in the right distance to walk behind?

No, because it doesn't actually know where the garage door is, it just knows where the back wall of the garage is (I park front-in for my Garage).
yeah you adjust distance for summon-park feature in regards to the far wall in the back... so your front bumper is in specified amount of inches from the wall. Find how many inches from the front it needs to stop and then adjust this distance accordingly to have it always park deep enough. Not going to work that way?

yeah you adjust distance for summon-park feature in regards to the far wall in the back... so your front bumper is in specified amount of inches from the wall. Find how many inches from the front it needs to stop and then adjust this distance accordingly to have it always park deep enough. Not going to work that way?

8" is the lowest it will go. I need it closer to 4"