Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MG4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
Took a test drive in an MG4 today - not as a replacement for the Tesla, but potentially to replace my wife's ID.3 which is slowly driving us mad with its laggy infotainment and generally awful software. The MG4 drives really well and it's very refined and quiet. But the interior quality really is pretty poor - lots of hard plastics and cheap-feeling materials. The infotainment isn't fantastic either - it's a bit laggy and its design feels a bit dated in some ways. There are also some pretty poor UI elements that are hard to use when driving (e.g. the temperature controls are way too small). But, at the price, it's quite a good deal really. I can see them selling a lot of them - but it's not for me!

My daughter got one in January, has been using it as a family car and for commuting and been really happy with it. However, last week, for no obvious reason, out of the blue, the car initiated an emergency stop. Apparently nothing like the infamous Tesla phantom braking this incident was a violent juddering halt that scared the wits out of her and the passengers.

Today it was taken away on a low loader for investigation.

Last edited:
My daughter got one in January, has been using it as a family car and for commuting and has been really happy with it. However, last week, for no obvious reason, out of the blue, the car initiated an emergency stop. Apparently nothing like the infamous Tesla phantom braking this incident was a violent juddering halt that scared the wits out of her and the passengers.

Sorry you experienced that, but welcome to the club. That is what phantom braking in a Tesla is like. Most people consider the regular nervous braking Teslas have near lorries as phantom braking. In one way, it is as it's cautiously braking for no real reason, but three times in the past year, I've experienced what I consider genuine phantom braking. Tootling along the motorway at 70 and for no reason, the car brakes as hard as possible. The seatbelts hold you in place, and your eyes go straight to the rearview mirror as you expect to be rear-ended. Drivers have to perform emergency maneuvers to avoid you. You plant the accelerator down to try and override it and pray to... anyone.

Sorry you experienced that, but welcome to the club. That is what phantom braking in a Tesla is like. Most people consider the regular nervous braking Teslas have near lorries as phantom braking. In one way, it is as it's cautiously braking for no real reason, but three times in the past year, I've experienced what I consider genuine phantom braking. Tootling along the motorway at 70 and for no reason, the car brakes as hard as possible. The seatbelts hold you in place, and your eyes go straight to the rearview mirror as you expect to be rear-ended. Drivers have to perform emergency maneuvers to avoid you. You plant the accelerator down to try and override it and pray to... anyone.
I had similar about a year ago, whilst going wound a large roundabout that goes over the M11 at Harlow. The car properly slammed the brakes on and came to an (almost) complete stop before I had a chance to hit the go pedal. There were no cars in front for well over 20 metres, no even vaguely obvious threats and fortunately nothing behind me. It's never done it since, thankfully.

• Informative
Reactions: DeejUK
My daughter got one in January, has been using it as a family car and for commuting and been really happy with it. However, last week, for no obvious reason, out of the blue, the car initiated an emergency stop. Apparently nothing like the infamous Tesla phantom braking this incident was a violent juddering halt that scared the wits out of her and the passengers.

The MG is now back, apparently it was a software fault which has now been fixed by the dealer, not clear if this affects all MG4s or if they all need to be returned to the dealer for a fix.

Considered the MG4 but wife preferred interior of e2008 so picked up a top spec 70 plate with only 8k miles on it. I would have chosen the MG4 but it’s not my car, have to admit the interior of the e2008 is very nice and seats hold you really well. Hope the SW fix has resolved your emergency break issue. That would give you a scare alright!

Pretty sure he's not repressing any minorities directly. He too may have a 100 year plan but he's not published it.
He may not be repressing minorities directly but I’m not convinced he has any genuine concern for their welfare. He has been roundly criticised for expanding into the Xinjiang region, where an estimated one million Uyghurs have been detained in camps.

I have difficulty in thinking of Musk as a philanthropist or a champion of human rights.

Then you know nothing about him or have been exposed to a biased anti-Musk narrative from the media. He's one of the most philanthropic people alive today. He is motivated by the betterment and continuatoon of humanity in most of what he does.
Well I’d be delighted for you to correct my apparent ignorance and explain why the Musk is the greatest philanthropist of our time.

Then you know nothing about him or have been exposed to a biased anti-Musk narrative from the media. He's one of the most philanthropic people alive today. He is motivated by the betterment and continuatoon of humanity in most of what he does.
Good to see his philanthropic efforts don’t get in the way of him making ridiculous amounts of money. I’m sure he’ll spend every last penny on the betterment of humanity.

He wants us all to move to Mars. I’ve never worked out why it’s a better place to live than here.

Well I’d be delighted for you to correct my apparent ignorance and explain why the Musk is the greatest philanthropist of our time.
I would suggest listening to various interviews he has done over the years, reading up on the mission statements and intentions of his various companies and connecting those dots yourself. This article is a reasonable summary of this rationale, bur certainly a mere summary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steerpike