Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Plantation, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new wording restricting the parking signs is troublesome. I'm a bit concerned about that.

Again I say, move on. I cannot understand why TESLA would put up with this crap, there are many other places they could put these without all this nonsense. BTW, These superchargers Definitely bring business to the locals. I have traveled a lot using superchargers and it is rare that I don't spend money where I have stopped. In fact, the only place I can remember is the one in Glen Allen Va, because I was there early and nothing was opened, but on my return trip I did eat at the Panera there. 32 restrictions including sign verbiage that probably only restricts non EV parking to 30 minutes is just a bunch of BS. Move it to the Sawgrass Mall area and be done with this.

Down to 2 Conditions of Approval. 32 not met or not applied for. Maybe Plantation is getting ready to drop some of those Conditions, which is why it is down to 2 Conditions now.

I would be surprised if Conditions just started disappearing, though . . .

Building - 1 Not Met
General Building
An additional deposit to the trust account may/will be required prior to or at the time of resubmittal.
Not Met | | 01/05/2015

Engineering - 1 Not Met
Review Comments - Engineering
Please address City Council comments as previously requested.
6. As shown, the equipment room still blocks line of site for both spaces. When discussed, it was to be located more in the green area to avoid a site distance issue.
7. Please provide dimensions for the equipment room on the site plan. As shown the doors will open into the drive aisle.
8. The charging stations appear to be in the middle of two spaces. How do you know which one to use or is it always on the right side of the car?
Not Met | | 12/24/2014

Number 8... [eye rolling emoticon] Funny...

I found several pages of small fees that have been paid over the last three months, including this month. I can't imagine Tesla paying these fees unless they were getting serious about moving forward on this site soon.

We'll see.

I found several pages of small fees that have been paid over the last three months, including this month. I can't imagine Tesla paying these fees unless they were getting serious about moving forward on this site soon.

We'll see.
5 pages totaling 24 fees $2909.79 plus two still due of $98.84
City bureaucracy milking it for everything they can. Pathetic.
Seeing this will keep me from ever considering moving to Plantation.

Thanks for the posts by those diligently watching the progress.

Ya know, here's something I had not considered. Plantation's permit website may be too crude to change "not met/not applied for" to "met."

Perhaps they just remove it from the required list, and Tesla is really down to only two Conditions. This theory may have merit since the number is going down as fees are being paid. I had assumed earlier the number was going down from consolidation of requirements, like landscaping; and that they still show "not met/applied for" when you look at the list.

Plus since the Marathon site has started, I can't imagine Tesla wanting to leave that big South Florida supercharger gap open very long. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Hi Gary,

No matter how we look at it, the fact remains that Tesla filed for a permit on December 19, 2014, and due to an unprecedented number of requirements after more than three months they still have yet to break ground. There simply has to come a point where Tesla project management finally reaches the undeniable conclusion that the Plantation permitting staff are overzealous and too much time is being wasted in delivering a needed Supercharger Station to Southern Florida.

Larry

Last edited:
image.png

Hi Gary,

No matter how we look at it, the fact remains that Tesla filed for a permit on December 19, 2014, and due to an unprecedented number of requirements after more than three months they still have yet to break ground. There simply has to come a point where Tesla project management finally reaches the undeniable conclusion that the Plantation permitting staff are overzealous and too much time is being wasted in delivering a needed Supercharger Station to Southern Florida.

Larry

Why do you think it is unprecedented? There have been many municipalities where Tesla has had to jump through hoops, and other than their refusal of Tesla's compromise signage, I haven't seen anything unprecedented here. 3 months is nothing, compared to some other places.

Also, for those of us who were at the meeting, this should all be no surprise.

Hi Gary,

Larry

What are the alternatives if Tesla comes to that conclusion? So far, they seem to have had more patience than the rest of us. Do they have a Plan B? Are some of the suggestions voiced in this thread reasonable alternatives? This is starting to feel like a drama series on TV. :confused:

What are the alternatives if Tesla comes to that conclusion? So far, they seem to have had more patience than the rest of us. Do they have a Plan B? Are some of the suggestions voiced in this thread reasonable alternatives? This is starting to feel like a drama series on TV. :confused:

I have made introductions between Tesla Project management and the major of a nearby town who is very interested in having a Supercharger there.

Larry

I have made introductions between Tesla Project management and the major of a nearby town who is very interested in having a Supercharger there.

Larry

I wonder how many of such city officials have acquaintance with the most excellent managers of the Village of Pinecrest! My Volt-driving friend who lives there seems quite enthused about Village management in general, nit just in this respect. It seems to me, notwithstanding the Plantation issues, that anything we can do to encourage destination chargers, regardless of technology, is the thing we should be doing in addition to the Supercharger advocacy.

I also understand that I am so new to this that I probably misunderstand such issues. OTOH I found it pretty easy to convince my Condominium board to support EV charging. All of us who've dealt with bureaucratic process on a career-long basis probably can help with some specific cases.

After all this is a point-by-point issue. That has everything to do with local politics and nothing much to do with EV policy. Even the well-meaning FL EV space parking prohibition for ICE vehicles can be an impediment to new installations when a bureaucrat senses inconvenience in the offing. My own rule is to try to think through ways to remove objections before a request begins. Otherwise at best the process takes longer.

Well, it looks to me like all Conditions have been met and all fees paid. w00t!

Or they pulled the plug. :mad: It think it's the former.

Nothing like a little pressure from a neighboring town to get things going. :wink:

Well, it looks to me like all Conditions have been met and all fees paid. w00t!

Or they pulled the plug. :mad: It think it's the former.

Nothing like a little pressure from a neighboring town to get things going. :wink:

I also noticed that the conditions are gone, but I do not see an issued permit, so I'm also not sure if it just got abandoned.

Edit:

Actually, this page looks different: https://aca.plantation.org/CitizenAccess/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Building&TabName=Building&capID1=14BLD&capID2=00000&capID3=0038N&agencyCode=PLANTATION&IsToShowInspection=

It does appear that it has progressed from "engineering review" to "clerical review"

Last edited:
Although the permitting system may not yet reflect it, I have it under good authority that the permits were indeed just approved and that they should be breaking before month end.

Larry

Outstanding news!! I don't charge very often and my wife says I'm going to screw up one day and forget to charge when I need to. I live under 2 miles from this site and it will be my backup plan, 20 minutes late at most!!