Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs Pilot Super Sport - Opinions Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Continental #1: 0 - 8,500 (stored as backup @ 3/32) [8,500 miles]
Continental #2: 8,500 - 17,100 | 23,000 - 23,500 [9,100 miles]
Goodyear #3: 17,100 - 23,000 (6/32 remaining) [5,900+ miles]
Michelin #4: 23,500 -
Updates:
Goodyear #3: 17,100 - 23,000 (6/32 remaining), 35,200 - 35,700 [6,400+ miles]
Michelin #4: 23,500 - 35,200 [11,700 miles]
Michelin #5: 35,700 -

I've got 16.5k on my P85+ OEM PS2's and I'm thinking I'll be due for a replacement at or around 20k. I've been debating either going the 245/35/21's PSS all-the-way-around route or replacing them with OEM PS2's again. My concerns are that the 245's all-around won't be as grippy in turns or high speed. I also don't know what the going price difference is between them either. I suspect there are many that are in my same shoes, I just finished all 23 pages of this thread so far and I still don't know what to do. I stopped by my local Discount tire on the way home and the guy quoted me $2,600 for the PSS's in 245 spec with the road hazard, I could swear the PS2's were only about $1600 installed from my SC...

I've got 16.5k on my P85+ OEM PS2's and I'm thinking I'll be due for a replacement at or around 20k. I've been debating either going the 245/35/21's PSS all-the-way-around route or replacing them with OEM PS2's again. My concerns are that the 245's all-around won't be as grippy in turns or high speed. I also don't know what the going price difference is between them either. I suspect there are many that are in my same shoes, I just finished all 23 pages of this thread so far and I still don't know what to do. I stopped by my local Discount tire on the way home and the guy quoted me $2,600 for the PSS's in 245 spec with the road hazard, I could swear the PS2's were only about $1600 installed from my SC...

Definitely a rip off. One appeal of the PSS is that it is cheaper than the PS2. Discount tire does do price matching, if you want to buy them local. I've had them match tire racks price, they complained about shipping, but I mentioned I don't get hit with sales tax, those are a wash. Your mileage may vary, if they think they are going to lose the business to tire rack they've always bended for me.

I think you will find that the Super Sports offer more grip than the PS2s and you are likely not to see any difference in anything but looks and at the limit handling using 245 all the way around. I ordered and have received 255/30s for the rear on mine and will swap them on when I get that last little bit out of my rears (currently 14.5K @ 3/32).

I always thought the PSS were superior in grip. The Contis are cheaper too so that's never bad. I still have a few thousand miles but trying to plan my next tire.
I think the Conti's are stickier (if I recall, Contis are rated for 20k miles, PSS are rated at 30k).

It was definitely different though. I could barely break loose the Contis on my P85 when stomping the accelerator. The PSS break loose pretty easily.

I think the Conti's are stickier (if I recall, Contis are rated for 20k miles, PSS are rated at 30k).

It was definitely different though. I could barely break loose the Contis on my P85 when stomping the accelerator. The PSS break loose pretty easily.

for 1, I think the TC has been changed a bit from the beginning?
I am running 285 PSS' on light 19"s and I can spin them pretty easy on some asphalts but the 21s were so much heavier.

Hankook RS3 v2's might be stickier

Hmm. Maybe I'll just stick with Conti then. PSS gets number 1 user reviews on Tire Rack. Usually in their tests too.

Sacrificing a little traction for additional tread life might be worth it though.
Zextraterrestrial is right, there was a TC change at one point, but I still had the Conti's after the TC change and they still seemed a little stickier to me than my PSS. It's hard to say though with any confidence.

I got my PSS on sale and they were actually $30/tire cheaper than Contis, so given the (hopefully) longer tread life the PSS seemed like a significantly better deal. As I said, I'm quite happy with them. I'd buy them again.

I'm really happy with mine, but they don't grip quite as well as the Conti's did.
Totally disagree on the second part. The PSS are much better than my Contis were. (I'm my second set of PSS after going through 2 sets of Contis.)

- - - Updated - - -

Note that the Michelins aren't just rated at 30k, they are warrantied to 30k. As for actual duration, my Contis lasted 8.5k and my first PSS lasted 12k.

I suspect you're comparing different environmental conditions between the two tires in this regard given your assessment.

Zextraterrestrial is right, there was a TC change at one point, but I still had the Conti's after the TC change and they still seemed a little stickier to me than my PSS. It's hard to say though with any confidence.

I got my PSS on sale and they were actually $30/tire cheaper than Contis, so given the (hopefully) longer tread life the PSS seemed like a significantly better deal. As I said, I'm quite happy with them. I'd buy them again.

Great. I don't track it but it is a fun car to drive. As long as the traction is comparable or close then an additional few thousand miles of tread would be worth it I think. I'll order the PSS next and compare since I will have almost 20,000 miles on the Contis.

@dsm
Continental ExtremeContact DW vs. Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Make Driving Fun with Performance Tires & Wheels | Tire Rack
Both options are highly rated and outstanding tires. In our survey results, the Pilot Super Sport is currently ranked first, while the ExtremeContact DW is fourth.
How do the two tires compare? The Michelin Pilot Super Sport offers better handling, steering response and more desirable dry and wet grip. Continental's ExtremeContact DW provides a slightly softer ride than the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and a slower steering response as a result.

The link in the article points to a table which contains:
Rank% vs. BestBuy again?Wet - Hydroplaning ResistanceWet - TractionDry - Cornering StabilityDry - TractionDry - Steering ResponseComfort - RideComfort - NoiseComfrort - TreadwearTotal Miles Reported
Michelin Pilot Super Sport1100%9.19.09.19.69.69.48.98.88.44,344,277
Continetal ExtremContact DW493%7.78.88.88.59.08.38.78.47.86,027,968
Now granted, this is survey results rather than professional review but every category points one direction.

Last edited:
Nope, flooring it from the same onramp on the same freeway I drive for commute every single day. Roughly the same miles on the tires even at this point as I had on my Conti's last summer.
I meant more "tricky" stuff to equalize like varying weather, different road wetness (can be varied quite a lot in NW), road wear, etc.

Not a critique of your evaluation, just an observation of how difficult a true/valid test can be.