Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs Pilot Super Sport - Opinions Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else that got the Super Sports, have you noticed an increase in your Wh/mile? Mine seems to have gone up from my normal winter time (i.e. wet roads, 45 degrees) 425 to about 460-470.
FWIW, after about 8k on the Super Sports, the Wh/mile seems to be normal. Whatever was happening when I first got them was either my imagination or just related to weather that week.

I'm really happy with them. I'll get them again next time unless there's something new to consider.

I just put 255 / 285 PSS on my car yesterday. Tires are still slippery and I managed to get some serious understeer into work this morning. Will be running them for Laguna Seca and Auto X this weerkend so I can let everyone know how they feel compared to 21" Contis and Hankooks and 19" Potenza re-11s and GY- AS2s

The Re-11 were 2" smaller dia so hard to compare for range since speedo was off by ~6%. Most of my data for those tires is racing except 1 roadtrip.

PSS look like they will be awesome, rubber feels pretty gooey to a fingernail

I just put 255 / 285 PSS on my car yesterday. Tires are still slippery and I managed to get some serious understeer into work this morning. Will be running them for Laguna Seca and Auto X this weerkend so I can let everyone know how they feel compared to 21" Contis and Hankooks and 19" Potenza re-11s and GY- AS2s

The Re-11 were 2" smaller dia so hard to compare for range since speedo was off by ~6%. Most of my data for those tires is racing except 1 roadtrip.

PSS look like they will be awesome, rubber feels pretty gooey to a fingernail

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Contis vs. the PSS. I'm looking to retread my 19"s, if possible, and the same Contis Tesla puts on the 21"s are available in our 19" sizing. The PSS, however, are not and would require a new wheel purchase. Given I really like the look of my 19"s, I'd kind of like to keep them. I'll be at Laguna, maybe I can track you down after a couple runs.

Updated data...

Now that I have 6000+ miles on my PSS -- including a day at Laguna Seca and, um, "spirited" driving on CA-74 and some other fun WA/OR/CA/AZ/NM/UT routes -- I *love* my PSS. I will buy them again when I replace my current set.

They aren't miraculous (just like any tire). They will break loose if you push them too far (slight fishtail to the left after turn 11):

FishAfterTurn11.png

Last edited:
HeY I was going to post about my PSS' here too!

no one w/ a P+ asked for a ride over the weekend? scared?
255/285 19" PSS
this is how far you can get 2 in the sand without losing it on turn 2!
the next part, when I thought I was going to lose it to the left was stopped a bit by the tires and Stab Control -because at the point I all 4 tires hit the Asphalt again I had it floored and the dusty right tires tried to come across on me. thought I might actually spin an S!!!
Untitled.jpg

I like the PSS better than my set of RE-11 but they are sized much better too. 255 Fronts and 285 rears. Acceleration through corners is much better than the Re-11 set that were 245 and 275 but undersized diameter. the 285 PSS are big and fill the wheel well nicely. Autocross at Laguna S felt pretty good, the fronts bite hard and I only really lost grip once when I was still braking hard and tried to put a turn into it and murdered a couple of cones. I can floor my car in a straight line now on most roads and stick pretty well. Doesn't feel understeery at all, still a touch of drifty oversteer for autocross

Range seems bad with this setup, thinking ~10% hit but need to log more trips so I can compare to my 19" AS and 21"hankooks
It was a pain to get back up to Eureka from the Bay Area, drove 60mph the entire way to Benbow - at that point it was clear we would never make it to pick up our dogs by 6 pm - and happy hour (1/2 off any drink!) is at 4pm

Last edited:
My service center main guy told me not to run the 30s in the back when I asked for a non-official blessing--even when I pointed out that the 1.8% speedo differential is the same as the stock stagger differential. I'm going to square up the stagger with Super Sports to match the front specs. He told me not to mix Pilot Sports with Super Sports either, but I couldn't see trashing all that usable tread with four new tires. If it's squirrelly, I will.

The easiest thing for anyone to say is "don't".
Do not swap tires across the back to get the full use from them.
Do not make your own custom suspension links.
Do not use alignment specs outside those provided by the manufacturer.
Do not use two different tires front to rear.
Do not....
Do not....

And they are right. Why take the chance, especially if you are a Tesla employee? No good deed goes unpunished so saying anything but do not simply leaves them open for unnecessary liability.

I'll post my results should anyone have interest :)

The easiest thing for anyone to say is "don't".
Do not swap tires across the back to get the full use from them.
Do not make your own custom suspension links.
Do not use alignment specs outside those provided by the manufacturer.
Do not use two different tires front to rear.
Do not....
Do not....

And they are right. Why take the chance, especially if you are a Tesla employee? No good deed goes unpunished so saying anything but do not simply leaves them open for unnecessary liability.

I'll post my results should anyone have interest :)

No argument there, but surprisingly he didn't object to me swapping rear tires, inside out. I initially had ordered the 265/30s for the rear, but they were on back order and I didn't think they'd come in time for my east coast trek in a few day, so I went with the 245/35s instead. I figure Michelin will eventually make 255/35s for the rear and I can go back to the original stagger if the narrower rears are an issue. I'd be interested to hear how you like your new set-up, but I imagine it will be fairly uneventful.

The sidewall number is a percentage of the width so I do not pay as much attention to it as I do rev/mile. The two are nearly the same so the spedo error will be within the error of normal wear on the standard tire.

Correct. The Aspect Ratio is the Nominal Section Width divided by the Nominal Section Height. In other words, it's similar to an average of two averages which always gives a skewed result. Tire rev/mile is the way to go.