Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Stealth Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it no longer wipes over the AP camera?

I only need to use normal rain-x every few months. Actually I'm almost down to once a year.

I think it still wipes over the AP camera? I'll have to check that. I have noticed zero change in AP functionality since doing this so it's a moot point anyway. Once the rain gets past a light drizzle I always take over control. Doesn't seem smart to allow it to drive me in a pouring rain storm.

I've been using rain-x for almost 20 years. It never makes the blades chatter. The blades chatter because 1. they suck 2. They leave deposits on the glass.

edit - I literally still have the same bottle of rainx I bought ~20 years ago.

Wish we could trade places. I'd buy you a lifetime supply of the product I am currently using to not have any wiper issues. My philosophy is that if you find something that works stick with it. What I am currently doing works. I will try the Michelin blades at some point but if there is any chatter I am going right back to where I was. If what you are doing works for you then stick to it bro. Thanks for your insight.

I told the tesla service people the same thing about Rain X. I've used it on every vehicle I've owned for almost 30yrs. Never once had anything but positive experiences. Why Rain X would be an issue on the Tesla makes no sense to me other than the 2 reasons you note above. More specifically, the wiper blade system sucks.

• Disagree
Reactions: Texas and davidc18
BTW one other thing, if you use the Michelin Stealths on the passenger side, you'll need an extra part that doesn't come with the wiper blade. For the 28" driver side blade, it includes the top lock connector that the original poster mentions, but for the 18" passenger side, there's no top lock connector in the package. the Michelin website mentions this in the application chart for the Tesla and gives the phone number to call (currently 866-499-0572) to get the connector. I called and got it in two days in the mail.

I'm using the stock blades. They occasionally chattered, as described above. But, it only mattered very occasionally to clear intermittent water collection issues on the windshield, because I also use Aquapel and Rain-X. I went in for my first 12,500 mile service, and they gave me new blades, that are like percussion as they travel over the windshield, but once again, it hardly matters, since my Aquapel is strong still and I very rarely have to do a single wipe pass to get off transient issues since the Aquapel gets rid of the rest.

But, we do have some very chattery wipers on our Tesla Model S's. I find that it smooths out after a bit of time.

I'm glad I can come back here and try alternatives if it ever becomes an issue. I have never tried the Rain-X silicon wiper blades that apply more Rain-X, but I think I'd like to find out how well they work. I'm afraid in my farm area driving with lots of dust and bugs, the silicon will coat over the dust and bugs and meld them into the windshield.

Last edited:
The ones with Rain X worked for one rain then went to full suck mode.

My current solution is the use the Rain X 2 in 1 spray bottle (cleans and coats) to perform all exterior window cleaning. It keeps the blades performing at a barely acceptable level. They only start to chatter during an exceptionally long light rain. But as soon as I clean the glass the process starts over.

I'd like to chime in on the wiper blade thing since that has intrigued me for years. (I'm a mechanical engineer). There is something called the "stick-slip phenomenon" that is involved here as well. ( Stick-slip phenomenon - Wikipedia ) Basically there is a 'static friction' and a 'dynamic friction' that causes two bodies (wiper blade and window) to resist motion. The static value is higher than the dynamic so it takes more force to get it going compared to the force to keep it moving. I think this is involved with blade chatter. The point being that the arm will build up elastic energy (bending) until the static friction is overcome and the blade skips. It seems to me that a very clean, slick windshield would have very little or no chatter from the blades- imagine the extreme condition where there's NO friction- it would not skip at all. I think the answer is to have a very clean windshield with some sort of low-friction coating (like Rain X) and ** this is very important** the blades need to be clean too. People usually bypass cleaning the blades but they are just as yucky as the window was. Gotta get the road grime off of them of they will chatter. Also, as a blade ages (especially in the Sun's ultraviolet rays) it will stiffen and there will be chatter especially when the arm gets to the end of a sweep and reverses direction. The blade has a hard time flipping over and hops for a while until it lays onto the other side of the blade. Remember it spends about 99% of its life laying on one side, hardening. It then doesn't want to flip over easily. Replace every 6-12 months with high quality blades.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux
I'd like to chime in on the wiper blade thing since that has intrigued me for years. (I'm a mechanical engineer). There is something called the "stick-slip phenomenon" that is involved here as well. ( Stick-slip phenomenon - Wikipedia ) Basically there is a 'static friction' and a 'dynamic friction' that causes two bodies (wiper blade and window) to resist motion. The static value is higher than the dynamic so it takes more force to get it going compared to the force to keep it moving. I think this is involved with blade chatter. The point being that the arm will build up elastic energy (bending) until the static friction is overcome and the blade skips. It seems to me that a very clean, slick windshield would have very little or no chatter from the blades- imagine the extreme condition where there's NO friction- it would not skip at all. I think the answer is to have a very clean windshield with some sort of low-friction coating (like Rain X) and ** this is very important** the blades need to be clean too. People usually bypass cleaning the blades but they are just as yucky as the window was. Gotta get the road grime off of them of they will chatter. Also, as a blade ages (especially in the Sun's ultraviolet rays) it will stiffen and there will be chatter especially when the arm gets to the end of a sweep and reverses direction. The blade has a hard time flipping over and hops for a while until it lays onto the other side of the blade. Remember it spends about 99% of its life laying on one side, hardening. It then doesn't want to flip over easily. Replace every 6-12 months with high quality blades.
I've read all of the anecdotes people try to mitigate blade chatter, but keeping the blades clean has always worked for me on every car I have owned.

Reactions: RenMan68
After much research before delivery of my car looking for Nano-coatings for glass, I located this company Australia.

Nanotechnology products, glass coatings manufactured by Nanovations

After talking with some of the techs, I was referred to the only distributor in the USA Riviera Beach, FL.

Products

I ordered the (part #PAK100) because the tech said, this would be enough to cover all of the Pano, front, rear windshields along with the side windows and still have enough to do other projects. I had this shipped to Detailed Designs Auto Spa near Atlanta who were also doing my Modesta coating and PPF. When I got the MS car back, I turned on the wiper without water to lube the windshield and the wiper glided like silk, the next rain I went for a drive and found that the water droplets were 1/32" and smaller floating very quickly to the top of the windshield. I have used Rain X for years on previous cars and do not like what it does at night with oncoming headlight glare and lite rain, the Rain X leaves a film on the glass that reflects the light at night.

Before applying the Nanovations to the glass, it must be super clean without dust, dirt, oil, etc. When you think it is clean, clean some more. I was told by a tech person to go to your local liquor store and purchase the highest proof alcohol and clean the glass. DO NOT USE WINDEX! it leaves wax on the glass. DO NOT apply it on a humid day or in the direct sun-light.

One application of Nanovations on my MS done 9 months ago and the wipers do not chatter!

This also has worked on the Solar Panels on my sailboat. Would like to know if someone up north, would post if snow sticks to the panels coated with NanovationsUSA.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo