Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a source for the white interior issues?

I just can't imagine that they are, given that they recently dropped the white interior pricing by $500 and have yet to re-increase or re-up the pricing. They increased the mid range price very quickly and lowered AWD pricing (presumably to optimize their mix), so I would have imagined a very rapid white interior increase if that were the case.

Batching just sounds like a more likely reason.

Looking at the delivery spreadsheet, people are getting AWD Model 3's with white seats, so they are being made. Just not in the Mid-range Model.

Which does not make a lot of sense to me, as I can't imagine that it changes the production line much. The seats are the same except color. so it seems like it would be easy enough to make a batch of each at the same time. From delivery dates of other models, it does not seem like they are batched differently between seat colors.

Unless the person in the forum earlier was right, and they don't have enough of them, and they are saving them for other models.

I'd imagine orders are being prioritized first and foremost by geography. However, the batches they choose to make (MSM, black, etc.) are likely driven off the number of orders in priority geographic regions.

Once the vehicles are built and ready to be assigned, I'd imagine they're being assign based on a weighted combination of delivery center ("fill the truck"), followed by reservation date, followed by order date.

The one exception to this, I imagine, would be the white seats. I've heard they're having trouble sourcing them (and can only get x per week). If there truly is a limited number here, they're going to prioritize higher net vehicles, such as Performance and dual motor. If you can only build x vehicles with white seats before EOY, you're going to build the ones that allow you to book the most revenue + profit.

Showing sustained profit (or Q over Q growth) is Tesla's primary goal at the moment. The easiest way to achieve this? Delivering the most number of vehicles, at the highest net, before Q4 closes.

Tesla does not "source" their seats. They build them all in house. They can build 100% white seats if they have the desire. The most recent poll on this website shows roughly 50% of all orders are for the WHITE interior and Tesla lowered the price from $1,500 to $1,000 probably to optimize gross margin. The "cost" of the synthetic material (black or white) is probably the same or within pennies a square foot.

Is there a source for the white interior issues?

I just can't imagine that they are, given that they recently dropped the white interior pricing by $500 and have yet to re-increase or re-up the pricing. They increased the mid range price very quickly and lowered AWD pricing (presumably to optimize their mix), so I would have imagined a very rapid white interior increase if that were the case.

Batching just sounds like a more likely reason.

Please don't make things up. You have no credible source. Enough nonsense.

This was not made up--thanks for the civility, though. From Electrek in July:

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk mentioned the limited availability of the white interior – saying that they can only make 1,000 units per week and that the option will be linked to the performance version Model 3 until they can increase the capacity."

https://electrek.co/2018/07/23/tesla-model-3-white-interior-dual-motor/

Oh, and Elon in May on Twitter:
"Three or four months, depending on demand level. We have enough for about 1000/week right now."

Elon Musk on Twitter

Not to say they didn't solve their production issues, but they were clearly having issues producing in quantity...

• Disagree
Reactions: Esquire
Just received my delivery information via text message!

December 10th at 6PM

I logged into the Tesla website and I now see the same information there. No VIN.

Oddly, the text message says I am scheduled for Delivery in West Palm Beach (an hour North of me in Miami). On the website, it shows my home address below my delivery date.

Meanwhile, there is a Tesla shop about 2 minutes from me...so I'm hoping I can get delivery either there or at home, and not have to drive an hour...but I will!

Info below in my signature :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan123
Tesla does not "source" their seats. They build them all in house. They can build 100% white seats if they have the desire. The most recent poll on this website shows roughly 50% of all orders are for the WHITE interior and Tesla lowered the price from $1,500 to $1,000 probably to optimize gross margin. The "cost" of the synthetic material (black or white) is probably the same or within pennies a square foot.

They do source the materials, though. If you see my previous post (#1126), they did have some undisclosed gating factor that was holding them back (per Elon). He didn't disclose what it was, but really could've only been sourcing materials or putting them together...and they seem to have construction nailed (if its the same as Black seats...)

December 10th at 6PM

I logged into the Tesla website and I now see the same information there. No VIN.

Oddly, the text message says I am scheduled for Delivery in West Palm Beach (an hour North of me in Miami). On the website, it shows my home address below my delivery date.

Meanwhile, there is a Tesla shop about 2 minutes from me...so I'm hoping I can get delivery either there or at home, and not have to drive an hour...but I will!

When you guys are getting the texts, what number are they coming from?

i dont see this as much of a concern, considering the MR is no different than any other 3, just a few less parts in the battery (please correct me if im wrong).

Well, ok, you're not correct. :) MR has the charger and motor that will eventually go in the SR, in addition to the smaller battery. It's sort of an evolutionary "missing link", or an early beta test of SR components, or something.

Source: I'm an MR owner, other forum threads.

Reactions: model3fan

December 10th at 6PM

Hi Jeff
What are your car specs?
When did you get the text am or pm?

Yes. You are correct. I don’t think many knew that Tesla builds their own seats. It was discussed on “Autoline”.

This was not made up--thanks for the civility, though. From Electrek in July:

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk mentioned the limited availability of the white interior – saying that they can only make 1,000 units per week and that the option will be linked to the performance version Model 3 until they can increase the capacity."

https://electrek.co/2018/07/23/tesla-model-3-white-interior-dual-motor/

Oh, and Elon in May on Twitter:
"Three or four months, depending on demand level. We have enough for about 1000/week right now."

Elon Musk on Twitter

Not to say they didn't solve their production issues, but they were clearly having issues producing in quantity...
Why make MR white interior available knowing they would be challenging to deliver to customers looking for delivery by end of year?

Well, ok, you're not correct. :) MR has the charger and motor that will eventually go in the SR, in addition to the smaller battery.

Actually, a couple of us on another thread looked in the Tesla parts catalog and found only one part number for the onboard charger which made us think that the MR 32 amp limit might be software controlled. Just an educated guess, that’s all. We found different part number for MR battery pack of course. I didn’t look to see if the motor had a different part number.

• Informative
Reactions: 16Coma