Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors Interior and Exterior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is how a Euro-spec Elise 2 convex mirror looks on my roadster. I really like it:

SDIM3482.jpg

SDIM3481.jpg

RoadDad,

Thank you for the answers and clarifications on installs and compatability. Much appreciated.

With our cars coming from the same DNA hopefully we can share info like this more often. It will probably be a while though before a 1000 Roadster owners come up with something the 10s of thousands of smart Lotus owners have not already covered in multiple threads.

Toutizes, so it's just a drivers side mirror? Thanks for posting. It looks very clean. Can you name the store? Maybe they have a website.

Toutizes, so it's just a drivers side mirror? Thanks for posting. It looks very clean. Can you name the store? Maybe they have a website.

Yep, just the driver side. I suspect that this is the model they'll put in the Euro-spec roaster too. I think it's only here in the US where we drivers are supposed to be too dumb to not know that things in a convex mirror look further away than they really are. Sigh.

I just went to the closest Lotus dealership to where I was, in Boulogne-Billancourt (close to Paris, France.) I found the dealership on the Lotus web site:

» Find a Dealer

The dealer did not have a web page, as far as I can tell, but I had made sure they had a mirror in stock with a quick phone call.

To get one from the US, maybe the easiest thing would be to find a local lotus dealership. Or call a dealership in the UK.

vfx,

You're very welcome.

vfx said:
10s of thousands of smart Lotus owners
Ha ha. ^That's funny. There aren't 10s of thousands of smart Lotus owners. There may be 10s of thousands of owners but believe me there aren't that many smart ones :wink:.

Just a few other things that I think may be helpful.

The blind spots in these cars can obviously be a problem. If the side mirrors, even the stock ones, are set properly it will minimize, or possibly eliminate, the blind spots. This is how I set my mirrors for all of my cars. It has been particularly helpful in the Lotus. I have to get help adjusting the passenger side mirror on the Elise but can do the driver's side alone.

Set your rear view mirror as you normally would. Then, lean your head all the way to the left so it touches the driver's window. From that position, set your left side view mirror so you can see just the back corner of your car. Now lean the same distance the other way with your head between the seats and set your right side view mirror the same way.

You will need to make some slight adjustments to your side-view mirrors to make everything line up perfectly. Pulling up next to a line of parked cars (to simulate another lane of traffic next to you) or when sitting at a traffic light is a good way to do that.

The goal is to first see the cars behind you in the rear view mirror. As they pass you, as soon as the car is disappearing from the rear view mirror it should appearing in the side view mirror. As the passing car is disappearing from your side mirror it should be appearing in your peripheral vision.

As you pass another car, as soon as it is disappearing from your peripheral vision it should be appearing in the side mirror. As it is disappearing from the side mirror it should be appearing in the rear view mirror.

It will be a little disconcerting at first to drive with the side mirrors adjusted this way but once you get used to it (again, give it about one week) you may wonder why you haven't been driving this way all along.

One other note on this is that backing up (as into a parking space where you will want to see where the lines are, etc.) becomes a little side to side dance in the driver's seat so you can see the sides of the car but in reality the increased safety on the road is well worth it.

EDIT: FWIW, if you want a Lotus dealer to order parts here in the US, April at Fox Valley Motorcars is the person to call. Great service and great pricing. Fox Valley Motorcars / Lamborghini Chicago - Disclaimer: I do not own, work for, have any affiliation with FVMC (other than using them for parts extensively) and haven't even met anyone who works there in person. I've only had phone dealings with them but haven't found a better Lotus dealership with which to work.

Last edited:
Ah, Doug beat me to it, as usual. I've been an advocate of proper mirror adjustment since I learned about it six years back. I have the instructions on my site - and use this method on all cars.

If you feel the need for a convex driver-side mirror, then you just don't have the mirrors adjusted properly. In fact, the way I discovered this, was after buying the multivex for my EV. I tried it, and hated it. Did some research (yeah, wrong order) and discovered how to properly adjust my mirrors. I'd say a good 98% of the population still insists on being able to see the side of their car in the side mirrors. :sigh:

Sorry guys

How could you know?

As to keeping mirrors adjusted I'm for it but I don't like not seeing a bit of the car from a neutral position to know distance and that the mirror has not been bumped and I'm not looking at some incorrect view.

But even more than that, the wife and I have to readjust all three mirrors when we swap the drivers seat. I'd rather change the mirrors rather than go though the rigamarole of setup every time we want to get a soda. (Yes, we use any excuse to drive the car.)

The multivex mirrors are amazing once you get used to them. I applied mine almost 5 years ago, and they're holding up just fine. VFX: The pictures you posted of the Elise with the MV mirrors applied.......it looks like the double sided foam tape used may have been too thick. Mine do not stick out that much. Also recommended is some black silicone or RTV to be applied on the top/sides of the mirror. You really don't notice the mirrors that much unless you're actually trying to notice that they aren't original equipment.

Are the Tesla mirrors the same as the Elise mirrors ??

Another problem MOST people are having is GETTING the mirrors in the first place. I MAY have the solution to that....stay tuned or PM me for details.

Mirror rorriM

the wife and I have to readjust all three mirrors when we swap the drivers seat. I'd rather change the mirrors rather than go though the rigamarole of setup every time we want to get a soda.

Same problem here, VFX...

The blind spot on the passenger side is eating at me and is a priority fix. I was leaning to the MultiVex. For rearview the ZoomCF seemed like it would fit the bill for me.

Another problem for me is that I need ease of installation as I am a mechanical moron handed down from my Dad. Either ease of installation or fellow friends who will show me how to do it one Sunday at SCS :redface:

Same problem here, VFX...

The blind spot on the passenger side is eating at me and is a priority fix. I was leaning to the MultiVex. For rearview the ZoomCF seemed like it would fit the bill for me.

Another problem for me is that I need ease of installation as I am a mechanical moron handed down from my Dad. Either ease of installation or fellow friends who will show me how to do it one Sunday at SCS :redface:

I'm not so bad on the passeger mirror. If I turm by head I can be pretty much assured that a car (not bike) will be bigger than the Roadster bodywork that obscures it.

The Eurospec drivers mirror seems best but I want to see one in person first. toutizes has yet to post an image.

For the inside, I got a Micromirror but with no instructions. I think I can figure it out with SByer's pics though. (Thanks Steve)

Carefully slide the stock mirror towards the back along the windshield - it's just friction fit (no clip, latch or catch). From there, the microMirror and it's set screws are pretty obvious, as long as you have a set of smaller hex wrenches around.

I'm really happy with the microMirror, as I no longer feel like a whole herd of pedestrians can be hiding behind a right turn, and I don't think I'm missing any significant rearward view.

Carefully slide the stock mirror towards the back along the windshield - it's just friction fit (no clip, latch or catch). From there, the microMirror and it's set screws are pretty obvious, as long as you have a set of smaller hex wrenches around.

Thanks again. The issue is something that not everyone notices. The Roadster's windshield (windscreen) glass has an interior black paint surround with a screenprint type dot pattern to visually soften the edges. It's also in the Elise and is pretty common in all cars these days.

It's the Roadster windshields with the extra $400 up-charge tinting that have an additional big black painted area behind the rear view mirror. Without the black area you can look though the glass to see the mount clip arrangement. With the blacked out area in the way, some instructions are appreciated.

My only concern is scratching that black paint on the glass.

Scott's pictures were helpful to understand what was under the black paint but other than that the black paint made no difference in a mirror install.

Remove the roof and your shoes. Stand in socking feet on the seats facing front. Lightly lean so your chest is on the top of the window with your head out over the glass. Reach both hands underneath
and lightly grab the mirror, applying even pressure, slide it up towards your chest. The mirror will slide (pop) right off.

Pre screw the hex setscrews so the point just barely stick out the out the other side. Test to make sure the post still slides in the mount bracket.

As listed in instructions, apply Loctite and screw-tighten mirror with 1/4 inch wrench.

Slide post onto mount and tighten screws the few turns remaining.

Adjust mirror to taste.

Enjoy more forward view when driving. (shoes optional)

MicroMirror Tip

One thing that's annoyed me about the micromirror is the lack of a night-time flip mode. I'm perfectly fine with it most of the time, but not on rainy nights. The wimpy headlights are even less effective on a wet road, and add in the extra glare from the rear view mirror, and I'm finding the overall visibility marginal.

Actually, I don't think it needs to flip. It simply needs some tint. Years ago I drove a car that didn't have a flip, but the mirror was simply tinted. I thought it odd, but it worked just fine day and night.

Today I tried applying window tint film on the micromirror. I used a fairly light tint, since the light goes through it twice. I'm pretty pleased with the results, in terms of visibility and reduced glare. I'm not quite happy with the installation job; the film I got is really thin and hard to apply correctly. I might try another brand. But overall I think night time visibility is significantly improved by doing this.

My Roadster arrives in two months or so but on my three test drives, I guess I didn't notice much of a problem with the rearview mirror. Does the micromirror improve things that much? I can see how the sideview mirrors and the blindspots are a problem though. That's one of the things that worries me about driving this car (the fun will make up for it though). Too bad there isn't a split-view camera system when you drive on the upgraded stereo (one rear camera, two side view/blindspot cameras).
Was going to try and order everything I needed so it's here when the Roadster arrives. Already have my Zaino on the way.

Last edited: