Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed there were no mirrors on the doors.
Do we know if there will be or will they be using cameras as mirrors or something?

Are there any laws in place saying cars need some form of mirrors?

Model X tried to skip side mirrors and instead, had small cameras in the place but that has not worked out so far due to regulations.

tesla-model-x_100405497_h.jpg

NHTSA Seeks Public Input Regarding Cameras Replacing Side Mirrors

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd
I know physical side mirrors are still required in the US, what about rearview mirrors? The truck's rearview mirror/screen might work if the bed cover has been retracted, but what about when it's closed? Does federal law require a physical mirror to be usable in every scenario? Auto makers have put small backup camera screens in rearview mirrors for years, would it be legal for the truck to have a physical mirror when the bed is open and a camera screen when it's closed?

I know physical side mirrors are still required in the US, what about rearview mirrors? The truck's rearview mirror/screen might work if the bed cover has been retracted, but what about when it's closed? Does federal law require a physical mirror to be usable in every scenario? Auto makers have put small backup camera screens in rearview mirrors for years, would it be legal for the truck to have a physical mirror when the bed is open and a camera screen when it's closed?

In Texas, a rear view mirror is not required if the vehicle has two side view mirrors.