Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing my ICE car. . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently parking my Model 3 in the garage with a 1974 VW Thing. Driving the VW is like sitting on a couch and going down the road with no radio, roll-down windows, airbags, you name it. Fun for an occasional change-up, but I wouldn't like to do it every day, and certainly not for a long road trip! It is a huge contrast to being integrated in the driving experience, versus sitting in a car that essential will drive itself.

The problem with this forum is there are two camps of people in one community. Efficiency and eco oriented vs performance car enthusiasts. It's like having Porsche and Prius owners in the same forum - neither side will understand the other. Personally I didn't buy a Tesla for the efficiency, I bought it for the performance and tech as a car enthusiast. My fun cars will likely always be gas in the foreseeable future.

tru. It's also stupid cheap (at the same level) and I parked it in my bedroom.
Haha, would further destroy the WAF, wife let me race (motorcycles) to get me off the streets. by far the best bang for speed-bucks. I'm steering away from motos as I age, so getting more interested in finding another v8 stick convertible, but the market sucks for convertibles in summer, I'll try to wait until winter to shop for a drop-top. . .

I definitely miss shifting.

Hey, rather than emulating engine noises in EVs like some manufacturers are doing, they should have placebo controls like a stick and clutch pedal. That way we can go through the motions of shifting for the nostalgia! Holding the clutch down or shifting to neutral will cause the motor to hover between accel and regen. Letting go of clutch applies regen. it will feel just like engine braking! :D

I guess if any manufacturer was crazy enough to do this, they might as well keep the engine noises.

If they wanted to, Tesla could give you a stick shift experience package pretty easily - step the torque available down based on “gear” and add roaring engine sounds.

If you’re willing to settle for “paddle shifters” and a DSG experience, it could even be a firmware update Easter Egg for existing cars - push the left thumb wheel to “upshift” and the right one to “downshift.”

I don’t really see anyone offering the fake clutch and gearshift as factory options, but the Easter Egg could be funny. Call it Lambo mode...

The problem with this forum is there are two camps of people in one community. Efficiency and eco oriented vs performance car enthusiasts. It's like having Porsche and Prius owners in the same forum - neither side will understand the other. Personally I didn't buy a Tesla for the efficiency, I bought it for the performance and tech as a car enthusiast. My fun cars will likely always be gas in the foreseeable future.
Probably more of a problem for you gearheads than us who care about the environment and everyone on Earth that has to live in the environment. We are pretty happy you got duped into buying one of the most efficient vehicles on the planet. :)

Reactions: Ol'Blue
I agree 100% with the OP original post (aside from the removable top and manual) in that I miss my RS3 daily. I was in the same boat with my wife saying that I couldn't have both and had to go one way or the other...Things I miss in particular are the 5 pot note, the fit and finish of that car, and believe it or not, the controls/MMI - I love the Tesla's interface, but just because its advanced doesn't necessarily mean its intuitive or accessible...

Someday you'll get back into that ICE - I know I will - Porsche or RS3 again for me...

KsQ5WW5.jpg

AP

Last edited:
20170720_165053-1.jpg
This used to be the daily..... 800 HP AWD... I miss it every day. Have had the Tesla for years now. Honestly I don't even drive the Tesla much anymore, the P100D kinda got boring. I mean it used to be allot cooler. Seems like it get's slower with the updates, Constantly changing stuff and non stop nags now with autopilot. It's like a giant baby monitor. This thing used to do AWD burnouts all day long and keep you on the edge. However I do not miss blowing up engines and the maintenance.

Probably more of a problem for you gearheads than us who care about the environment and everyone on Earth that has to live in the environment. We are pretty happy you got duped into buying one of the most efficient vehicles on the planet. :)
That knife cuts both ways - you're not going to save the planet with the Nissan Leaf. If it wasn't for gearheads who enjoy the thrill of driving and compel manufacturers to make cars people actually want, EVs would forever remain some <1% niche for people duped into thinking they're making a difference.

That knife cuts both ways - you're not going to save the planet with the Nissan Leaf. If it wasn't for gearheads who enjoy the thrill of driving and compel manufacturers to make cars people actually want, EVs would forever remain some <1% niche for people duped into thinking they're making a difference.
LOL. Just because I can't fix everything with my own actions doesn't mean I shouldn't do my part. Let me guess, face masks do no good either, right?

Ohhhhhh...... very very nice... this was my finalist, an RS3, preferably in that gray just like that! I was on a nationwide search for both ~2018 RS3's and ~2019 stealth Model 3. I ended up finding a stealth 15 minutes away from me, but if it would have been an RS3 like this then that would be sitting in my garage right now instead. I'm glad I ended up with the stealth, as my AMG GLA45 is already pretty similar to the RS3... slightly slower but it's got the hatch. Cool car. Yeah I'm not necessarily done with ICE either... 2 of my 3 cars are ICE. Variety is important!

I agree 100% with the OP original post (aside from the removable top and manual) in that I miss my RS3 daily. I was in the same boat with my wife saying that I couldn't have both and had to go one way or the other...Things I miss in particular are the 5 pot note, the fit and finish of that car, and believe it or not, the controls/MMI - I love the Tesla's interface, but just because its advanced doesn't necessarily mean its intuitive or accessible...

Someday you'll get back into that ICE - I know I will - Porsche or RS3 again for me...

KsQ5WW5.jpg

AP

and believe it or not, the controls/MMI - I love the Tesla's interface, but just because its advanced doesn't necessarily mean its intuitive or accessible...
AP

Love how fast and responsive the Tesla nav and entertainment system is. Overall the best ive ever used. But I miss having a remote iDrive-style controller for basic UI navigation. Pecking at the screen while driving is no fun

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Early 2019 TM3 AWD+ owner

I've always loved the stick and the V8 rumble.
Got converted to automatic by my Lexus ISF.
Starter went bad (engine + transmission out !). Valley plate issue. Cracked headers. Yes even Lexus has its issues.
Sold it. And now I miss it everyday. Badly.

Acceleration boost helped a bit but not for long. Car feels sometimes sluggish. I know it's quicker than 99 % of ICE cars.
But somehow I don't feel it . I can't explain it.
Don't know what to do now. I don't want any more ICE maintenance hassles. And still ...
Before Tesla everything was so simple. Feel stuck. Hate you Elon... (not really)

Love how fast and responsive the Tesla nav and entertainment system is. Overall the best ive ever used. But I miss having a remote iDrive-style controller for basic UI navigation. Pecking at the screen while driving is no fun

Yes I agree with you - pecking at the screen is my major concern over the UI, so much so that I bought that tilt screen from Tech Forum which helps a bit. However I get a lot of flack from this thought process, but I really do like Apple Play in the sense that if I like my phone connected to my M3P and my phone is plugged into my social network, a mirror imaging UI seems more intuitive than have Tesla's proprietary UI (no matter how much better it is than say Android or iOS) communicate to another UI. The latter seems prone to a lot of "miscommunication". As of now, Tesla CANNOT recognize my wife's name no matter how I change the spelling, phenotically or otherwise. Oh, I'm sorry but I love the Waze up, not just for police, but for potholes and debris in the road...

Anyway, hope all is well,

AP

Early 2019 TM3 AWD+ owner

I've always loved the stick and the V8 rumble.
Got converted to automatic by my Lexus ISF.
Starter went bad (engine + transmission out !). Valley plate issue. Cracked headers. Yes even Lexus has its issues.
Sold it. And now I miss it everyday. Badly.

Acceleration boost helped a bit but not for long. Car feels sometimes sluggish. I know it's quicker than 99 % of ICE cars.
But somehow I don't feel it . I can't explain it.
Don't know what to do now. I don't want any more ICE maintenance hassles. And still ...
Before Tesla everything was so simple. Feel stuck. Hate you Elon... (not really)

Yup....