Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have both the app and widget and both show only in Kms. So that is not a workaround.

Just for the benefit of forum users I am listing the issue and workaround: This is just for the UK and Ireland forum users

1) Check whether you have the new version of App 4.4.1.824? (iPhone users) and the Android (not sure the version number)
2) Check your language/Region setting is set as UK - if it is set as US the region then you will see the odometer and mileage in miles. This is the workaround @Simonix and others are following. However, there are reports that this changes some of the other measures like temperature in F and price in $ etc., So set according to your needs - if you have to calculate mileage everyday in a lease car etc., better to set in US as the region to avoid dividing by 1.6 all the time.
3) Some report that their widget are in miles but not the app. But this is not the case for others.
4) If you say you still have this in miles - please check the above and then let us know. It is a software issue and affect everyone if you update to the latest version.
5) I think you can not update and use the old version. As far as I know it is possible in iOS, not sure of Android. Please add your clarification whether that can be done in android phones.
6) This is a software problem and Tesla will update this - not sure who created this but looks like the teenage developers aren't well travelled enough to know that UK still uses miles not Kms as in Europe.
7) This is nothing to do with other issues like automatic wipers and headlights or FSD. They are part of the AI theme and some of the issues we face are little annoying but that is part of the wider AI philosophy and it is necessary for Tesla to stick with that philosophy rather than reverting to the $1 radar to control the wipers and headlights even though they are tried and tested. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your views when you buy Tesla you also buy Elon's vision of the futuristic cars and that comes with the price and compromises here and now. Tesla is not just a car manufacturer like a BMW, Merc or Audi who just sells practical cars.
8) Also users are divided between using miles/kms/percentage. We can use percentage in the app but the odometer readings are still in Kms and people like us need the odometer readings every now and then and that won't be solved by keeping the battery in percentage.

I hope I've covered most of the points,
Explanation regarding point 3 and how you still can get miles in widgets, a simple workaround but may not solve the main issue:

The app and widgets both are programs the apps are designed to do multiple tasks and widgets to do some specific tasks. The main difference is the widgets are generally inbuilt in the mobile phones or other devices. So with the new version of app the widgets aren't updated as the apps are updated by a new version. So if your car is in miles the widgets reflect the miles and if the car is in percentage the widgets reflect the percentage irrespective of the app. You can go and change the car display and the widget display changes in relation to car display. This is a workaround but still doesn't solve the odometer kms reading! Unfortunately that is the one bugging me.

I am running the android app with version 4.4.0-810-810. I'd like to point out that in addition to not displaying distance units consistent with the car's settings, it also displays arbitrary temperature units. I have my car set to km but the phone app shows miles. I have the car set to Celsius, but the phone app shows Fahrenheit. I am in the U.S.A., but that should not matter, the phone should match what the car is configured to, not some arbitrary setting that tesla thinks it should have.

What is the widget that is mentioned in numerous posts ?

For iOS 14 and above with v4+ of the Tesla app you can add a widget to the Home Screen - long press in a blank area, tap the plus button that appears top left, scroll down to the Tesla app and then you can select a small or medium widget that allows you to see things like charge level and quickly access features such as turning on the climate.

It looks like this:
Screenshot 2021-12-22 at 17.43.35.png

Or at least it does on my phone - some people seem to have a green indicator for the charge level and are able to display range instead of percentage charge.

The opposite problem - checked the app after vacation, and everything is in miles and Fahrenheit, although the car profile is in metric. Worked around by adding Android system language as English (Canada) higher than English (US), but really they should have that configurable in the app as opposed to just chosing for the user. I do live in both Canada and US and my phone settings are often linked to the US market, yet I prefer to use metric, and even drive my car with metric settings regardless of which side of the border I'm at.

Reactions: andyschroder
How do you make the widget show range instead of charge?

It only seems to show charge for me regardless of what I have displayed in the app, have I missed something?
You go to the car and change that to range in the display screen instead of percentage. Come back and delete your widget and now add it again. It will be in percentage but press the number it will change to miles. If not open your app and change that to range it will be in kms and now press the widget battery icon, voila it is in miles.

• Informative
Reactions: SpareHeadOne
You go to the car and change that to range in the display screen instead of percentage. Come back and delete your widget and now add it again. It will be in percentage but press the number it will change to miles. If not open your app and change that to range it will be in kms and now press the widget battery icon, voila it is in miles.

Wow, so simple I can't imagine how I missed it. 🤣

Gotta love Tesla logic.

Whilst I am having a moan, the auto wipers and auto dip headlights are useless compared to the BMW equivalents, which work just fine. Part of the same issue, poorly developed software.
I’ll join in the moan if that’s OK with you… the “auto” wipers and lights are “useless” (compared to pretty much any other car standards)😡

Reactions: Timcat
But yoU’ve got a Tesla not a bog standard German copycat ones that’s been sold as cars!
I think the point being made here is that, on a car that gets so much right, it's a shame that it falls down in areas where it is easy to get things right and where others have been getting them right for some time. In other words, these are things that work just fine using existing technology, so why not use it?

I think the point being made here is that, on a car that gets so much right, it's a shame that it falls down in areas where it is easy to get things right and where others have been getting them right for some time. In other words, these are things that work just fine using existing technology, so why not use it?
The analogy I would use is Steve jobs could have used a scroll wheel like blackberry or a stylus like treo but he went for using our fingers which wasn’t tried and tested and introduced lots of errors. Now where are those styluses and scroll wheels!

Reactions: Yachtsman