Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla's motivation in removing the Mobile Connector was just to save money then Tesla could also delete the floor mats and the Gemini wheel covers that currently come with the 19" wheels. The wheel cap kit would cost Tesla less that supplying (4) Gemini wheel covers.

I don't recall reading when Tesla apparently removed the auto dimming side mirrors from the Model Y. The early 2020 Model Y vehicles did not come with the auto dimming side mirrors, then the auto dimming side mirrors were again supplied with the Model 3 and also with the Model Y. Now the web site only states that the Model Y comes with "Power folding, heated side mirrors".

Reactions: fiatlux
Has anyone actually not received a UMC with their car?

Maybe they’re getting ready to provide a CCS adapter instead? 🤔
CSS is a completely different thing, that won’t help you charging at home or places without level 2 chargers. It’s sad they are nickel and diming us on a $63k car. My 2020 M3 didn’t include a Frunk mat and they even stopped putting in the Frunk bag clips. Not acceptable to me.

Reactions: FlatSix911
any recommendations on 220v adaptors?
If you mean 3rd party electric vehicle service/supply equipment (EVSE) there are many to choose from. You need to match the EVSE with the amperage rating and the specific receptacle for your charging circuit.

What is likely, now that Tesla no longer includes the Gen2 Mobile Connector kit with every new Tesla vehicle, is that the Out-Of-Stock status of the Gen2 Mobile Connector will be short lived. If you want/need a Gen2 Mobile Connector you will be able to obtain one from the Tesla online store. According to once source, the Gen2 Mobile Connector kit may start to be supplied with some additional power plug adapters.

Last edited:
The time is rapidly approaching when Musk will have to worry about the competition. Nothing will change until then. Musk will be Musk, unfortunately. Oh, and for all of you whining about the cost of installing your wall charger....I have a Garden Condo with an attached garage on the front lower level. My panel is in the laundry room on the upper floor, in back. My neighbors unit is over my garage. My install cost was $2600.
The problem is, it typically takes companies far too long to figure things like this out. Blackberry is the perfect example. By the time they figured out iPhones were competition they were irrelevant. There are many companies entering the EV market and the non-tesla charging infrastructure is also being built out so that advantage won’t last forever, either. Tesla has a good reputation but moves like this will start to erode it and that may cause significant damage to the brand in the long run.

This seems a lot like BMW trying to charge a monthly fee for things like carplay and heated seats. You pay a premium for a luxury car and then they nickel and dime you to death???

BTG with an epic rant that is on. the. mark.

Also, I use the charger every day with a 120V outlet.
Yes. +1000! The mobile connector is also my ‘destination charging backup’ - If I’m heading somewhere (like to our cabin) that doesn’t have charging I can always use the mobile connector.

When I ordered My Model X, it had instructions to install a 14-50 connector in the garage. I have done this, and paid for it to be installed. Need to have an unpluggable cord so I can charge at home, vacation home and campsites. Would be super pissed if this does not come with the car I have been waiting over a year to be delivered.

Why don't they make it an option, if you want it you pay the current price since it was included previously. And if you don't want it, the price gets reduced by however much they sell it for... If he's saying people don't use it, then give people a choice.

That's my only source of charging when at home. It's basically a way to upsell the wall charger.
Well it is an option. But instead of a discount for not wanting it, the people that want it have to pay more. 😒

This is maddening. On top of having to wait at least six months to get the car (unless you pay to play with recent jump-to-the-front-of-the-line schemes), I may not get the cord I need to charge at home? With every one of these “we know what’s best for you” moves they make, they’re making it easier for me to not buy this car, no matter how great their charging network is…

I wonder about this statement from Musk yesterday (on Twitter - where else?) regarding deleting the kit from all delivered cars:

Usage statistics were super low, so seemed wasteful. On the (minor) plus side, we will be including more plug adapters with the mobile connector kit.

So, I would probably not use it either. I have L2, 240v, 40A at home -- plus another J-1772 120v 12a charging cord. All I'd need is a $50 J-1772 to Tesla connector and I'm good to go, or to stay charging at home. But... yes, this is a sad statement of where Tesla's (or Musk's) thinking is going, to pretend to know what is in their customers heads.

And how does Musk know the stats on which home chargers the cars are plugged into? I understand the stats coming from Superchargers are theirs, but geez, this is kinda scary that he decides this stuff on usage -- or more scary -- that he cannot think the custome might just have a secure feeling that it is there in the frunk for whenever it might be needed in a pinch. I have a tire repair kit and a stupid small compressor in my car that I have never used for a flat tire. Might as well delete those in cars too because usage statistics say most people probably don't get flat tires.

So I didn’t know this but there are two versions of the mobile connector. The hard wired one is $400 and the adapter one is $275. So he is saying you don’t get the included $275 version any more and then says buy the $400 one, then walks it back and says we will lower the price of said $400 item to $200. It can’t be a money thing for Tesla then. It’s gotta be part sourcing.

I’m not happy but at the same time, why can’t they just say that instead of that the usage rates are super low.

Reactions: FlatSix911