Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3’s available Nov/Dec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw this myself. Weird.

1665281888976.png

• Informative
Reactions: DriveMe
People had ordered cars and cancelled. This need to go somewhere. Normally would have gone to other people who ordered the same configuration, but since that is on pause, they need to offload them this way I guess. Not a bad option for people who would not qualify for new federal rebates maybe due to AGI limit.

Whats even more weird is when you click on 'learn more' the wording literally says the car must be delivered in 2022, if Tesla is unable to deliver it in 2022, you may be eligible for a refund. It's almost as if they don't want the current spec/price to spill over into 2023 ..hmm..makes me suspect that Tesla is upto something with 3LR as it pertains to EV tax credits, thoughts?

Whats even more weird is when you click on 'learn more' the wording literally says the car must be delivered in 2022, if Tesla is unable to deliver it in 2022, you may be eligible for a refund. It's almost as if they don't want the current spec/price to spill over into 2023 ..hmm..makes me suspect that Tesla is upto something with 3LR as it pertains to EV tax credits, thoughts?
Or they just want the delivery before the end of the quarter for financial result reporting.

Or they just want the delivery before the end of the quarter for financial result reporting.
Exactly.
They are just trying to "work" the Q4 numbers. There will be another frenzied push to deliver cars before the end of this year, just like in all prior years.

It may be tougher sledding this year, between the economic conditions, the increased EV competition, and the manufacturing challenges in Shanghai, Berlin, and Texas.

Absolutely. My guess is the LR will be priced differently and may not have the same features or range as the current one. I suspect they are trying to maximize production through the end of the year before the new pricing/feature structure goes into effect. Obviously current LR orders are insufficient through 2022.

I also expect Tesla to make changes to the 3LR to clear the price cap and qualify for incentives in 2023.

That makes the fact that they're currently offering 2023 Model 3 LRs for delivery in 2022 interesting. Does that imply software tweaks in 2023 to 2023 Model 3 LRs to make the reduced prices work for Tesla? Or perhaps a yet-to-be-seen version to replace the LR in 2023?

My EDD is from early November through early December. I locked in at $2k below the current Model 3 LR price. I assume that somehow Tesla will hit the necessary mark on price and that they'll offer after-sale add-ons to get back to whatever de facto market price they choose. If that price was the same as today's price, and if $3,750 of incentives would be available without adequate domestic mineral supplies, then I'd be paying $1,500 more take delivery in 2022 than in 2023. ($3,750 - $2,000 price difference - $250 ordering fee lost if I walk away in 2022)

Hmmm.

That makes the fact that they're currently offering 2023 Model 3 LRs for delivery in 2022 interesting. Does that imply software tweaks in 2023 to 2023 Model 3 LRs to make the reduced prices work for Tesla? Or perhaps a yet-to-be-seen version to replace the LR in 2023?

There are reports that Tesla is removing ultrasonic bumper sensors from Model 3's.
I suspect more de-contenting may occur by 2023 to drop the price a tad below $55K. Maybe AP becomes optional again.

Seems like one last chance to sell a full price LR AWD before the $54,999 model is released. I don't think these are cancelled orders since there are so many released at once. A cancelled order for the most part would probably already have a VIN and the person bailed last minute. Plus, the ability to receive a refund if not delivered on time is not like the normal policy.

There are reports that Tesla is removing ultrasonic bumper sensors from Model 3's.
I suspect more de-contenting may occur by 2023 to drop the price a tad below $55K. Maybe AP becomes optional again.

An obvious option to add to bring the price down is to offer a 2WD option.

An obvious option to add to bring the price down is to offer a 2WD option.
RWD is already available at the stripper entry price point of $47K.
Readily available, with zero backlog. Actually, all Model 3's have zero backlog. Courtesy of recent price hikes, economic uncertainty, and rising car loan rates.

That's pretty much the car that Elon had initially promised for $35K, plus / minus a few bucks.
The RWD already qualifies for all Federal and State rebates (assuming you can squeeze under the income limit).

Tesla stopped taking new orders for the LR Model 3 in August. The old $57,990 price point no longer makes much sense with the new tax credit $55K cut-off. They haven't announced the 2023 pricing yet, but most expect to see a somewhat restricted sub-$55K option.

However, the LR production hasn't stopped yet and will likely continue through November - December. It is likely that Tesla expects to make more LR M3 cars than what they have in the remaining LR orders, or they are just planning ahead expecting Q4 cancelations. So this new stipulation allows them to sell all LR M3's built this year, before the new configuration goes into effect in January:

"This vehicle is part of a limited supply expected to be built and available for delivery this November or December. By placing this order, you are agreeing to take delivery before the end of 2022 calendar year. If Tesla is not able to build a vehicle for your order in 2022, you may be eligible for a refund."

Last edited:
Dumb question - if the LR starts at 54,999 and after add ons (paint, white interiors, 19 inch wheels etc.) the final price ends up above $55k. Can one still be eligible for tax benefit? or will only the basic LR with no upgrades be eligible?
The $55K limit is based on the MSRP of the vehicle. I assume that’s the MSRP associated with particular VIN and stated on the Monroney sticker.

I think it will be possible to add some additional options at delivery on top of the MSRP: upgrade the wheels, add the EAP or FSD, etc.

There are still open questions. I guess we will know better in January.

And by the way, we don’t know for sure if there will be a sub-$55K LR. Maybe it will be some MR flavor instead, with slightly smaller battery. And perhaps a much more expensive LR that doesn’t qualify for the tax credit. Or just Performance LR.

And by the way, we don’t know for sure if there will be a sub-$55K LR. Maybe it will be some MR flavor instead, with slightly smaller battery. And perhaps a much more expensive LR that doesn’t qualify for the tax credit. Or just Performance LR.
LR 2WD or SR+ AWD would be obvious ways to offer something that costs less than LR AWD for those who want one of LR or AWD but do not care for the other.