Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 100 kWh battery and Ludicrous Mode [speculation about future developments]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right. Of course when that comes out you’ll say you’re waiting for the +500 mile vehicle with Photon speed Mode...

You’ve been around since 2016, what Tesla model have you owned?

I haven't yet owned one. I set my terms pretty much in my first post which was a test drive review. The 400+ mile (500 miles even better) is a must due to the scarce network in my region (slow chargers, over-occupied chargers (taxi charging queues), etc.) for my driving style. I would prefer MX Plaid if it came out this year. Also, I did put in a reservation for the 500mle Cybertruck.

even if it is true, whats the point of a 100kwh pack in europe or USA? You are not gonna significantly increase your travel speed and there are chargers everywhere. Now outside of those areas it would be more interesting but tbh I cant see a 100kwh pack making a massive difference compared to the 75kwh pack. If you get 500km or 650km doesnt make a massive difference in the australian outback and you will still end up charging with just 12kw via AC (Northern Australia runs on 240V so we get slightly higher AC charging speed:))....

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
It’s pointless holding off for anything with Tesla unless you really plan on never buying.
It’s not pointless to hold on buying anything, I believe.

It would allow one to save more and finance less.
In my case I would be able to purchase outright in cash.
My personal preference is not rush into buying anything.

I understand very well someone need to buy right away when new. that’s fine too.

I can see 100+ kWh packs being useful in areas with temperature extremes or frequent inclement weather. It’s not 70/21 and sunny everywhere y’know..

Hey pals. New user here.
I’m looking to buy a model 3 performance and I speculate we may hear about ludicrous or the larger battery at this years investors day.

Anyone else feel the same?
I’m holding off until then.

Unless there is a major breakthrough in battery tech (unlikely) why would you want a bigger battery in performance M3 (or any, for that matter)?

Bigger battery = more weight = lower performance.

So you are going to see worse mileage in everyday driving just to save on the occaional supercharger stop on longer trips.

Unless there is a major breakthrough in battery tech (unlikely) why would you want a bigger battery in performance M3 (or any, for that matter)?

So you are going to see worse mileage in everyday driving just to save on the occaional supercharger stop on longer trips.
Less voltage sag would be amazing when it comes to the P3D, since you mention it. And as good as the SC network is, it still has some pretty decent sized gaps.

And sure, occasionally one can take another route at a cost of more miles and time or take a fossil vehicle instead but doesn’t that defeat the point? (Not saying I won’t drive a fossil car, but it’s hard to go back once you go Tesla)

Less voltage sag would be amazing when it comes to the P3D, since you mention it. And as good as the SC network is, it still has some pretty decent sized gaps.

And sure, occasionally one can take another route at a cost of more miles and time or take a fossil vehicle instead but doesn’t that defeat the point? (Not saying I won’t drive a fossil car, but it’s hard to go back once you go Tesla)

Understood .. but the SC network is filling out all the time, so the value of that 100k battery pack will diminish gradually (or perhaps not so gradually as non-SC infrastructure also builds out).

Let's be clear:
Bigger battery = more weight = lower efficiency.

Bigger (in terms of capacity) battery always equals better performance as you can dump more energy into the motor at a higher rate resulting in higher performance.

In terms of handling performance, which I think you are alluding to, yes, more weight (as a result of a bigger battery) tends to reduce handling performance.

Currently my commute is a tad under 200km, all highway.
I also live in Canada and more range the better.

Of course, each person has their own needs.
Here out in the country side there is a lot of driving and not a lot in between.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Let’s hope they can increase energy density of the batteries rather than add more cells. They’ll need to do this to make the Semi viable.
I said this at first but after dealing with true winter conditions I have to say if they can do both of the above it’s better. Perhaps on the budget models continue shrinking size and keeping the same content.

Understood .. but the SC network is filling out all the time, so the value of that 100k battery pack will diminish gradually (or perhaps not so gradually as non-SC infrastructure also builds out).
Of course we are a tad off topic, but to note your comment: Urban areas are already saturated at virtually all charging points here in Vancouver, even non Tesla branded chargers. From ikea, to hotels to malls, there is no longer a spot to charge. They are all filled.

Ideally I would want to reduce my need to charge while out anyways.
This can only be done with a higher capacity battery, hopefully in the form of a more dense battery - weight not increasing.
You also must consider that the climate some of us live in naturally decrease any rated range, sometimes drastically.

It seems that there is a practical limit to how much energy you can store. If they can develop a 200 kWh battery, it would take about a day to completely recharge on a typical home level 2 charger (at 9 kW). I agree that continued optimizing efficiency is critical.