Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2-Year Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what kind of brake fluid is used in a Model 3 (DOT 3, 4, etc)?

You can use DOT 3 or DOT 4, they are compatible with each other and just are different temperature classes. Castrol SRF is the best as it is FAR less hygroscopic than anything else, but it's expensive and kinda hard to find at the moment. I'm currently using Motul 600, but am going to SRF in the next few weeks when i get a bottle.

Sure, you can get away without changing your fluid and having a lower boiling temp for 95% of driving scenarios - but that one time you go down a 5+ mile mountain and heat up your brakes you might wish you had changed it! Not worth the risk or stress IMO, just flush it.

I’ll also add Fluid changes and PM is much easier/less expensive then repairs but if you only keep cars 3-5 years for you it probably doesn't matter, but it will for the next owner. Me, I try and keep cars for at least 10 years, I had my 80 series Land cruiser on 37”s for 21 years and 280k miles, lots of hard off roading and no mechanical failures, brake fluid every other year, motor oil every 5k, diffs and Tcase 15k, trans fluid 30k, radiator 90k.

If you look at the invoice, how much did they charge you for the brake fluid check? $0?

they charged $15.50 for labor on the brake fluid check (checked good). The labor on the cabin filter was also $15.50 and $8 in parts (filter).

7B5FCBD8-63F6-4514-8373-B2FCA480B9A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Sure, you can get away without changing your fluid and having a lower boiling temp for 95% of driving scenarios - but that one time you go down a 5+ mile mountain and heat up your brakes you might wish you had changed it! Not worth the risk or stress IMO, just flush it.

You use your brakes going downhill? Lol.

My Model 3 turned 2yo on Christmas Eve (22,000 miles). I asked Tesla about bringing her in and what they would want to do. This is their list:
Tire rotation: $97.50
Cabin filter (remove and replace): $39
Cabin filter (HVAC, Combination Filter, M3 (1107681-00-A)): $17
Brake fluid check: $19.50
Brake fluid bleed/flush (remove and replace): $195.00
Four wheel alignment (check and adjust): $146.25
Wiper blades (remove and replace): $19.50
Replace charge port insulator pins: Warranty
Full Self-Driving Car Computer Retrofit With Electrical Wiring Rework: Customer pre-pay

I suppose that tire rotation might be pointless if they are too worn already, so I guess I should check the tread. And $17 for the cabin filter and another $39 for the labor to do the replacement doesn't seem excessive. The basic brake fluid check is $19.50, but then another $195 if it needs to be replaced (and perhaps another charge for the actual replacement brake fluid if needed?). I'm guessing the alignment is not $146.25 if they check and don't need to do anything, but I suppose they always need to tweak it some. I'm guessing that charge for the wiper blades includes both parts and the trivial labor involved.

The warranty replacement of insulator pins is a good thing, I suppose.

And I'm thrilled they're taking the opportunity to swap in the FSD computer!

This adds up to $533.75. I'll be taking her in on January 8.

Any comments?

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
My Model 3 turned 2yo on Christmas Eve (22,000 miles). I asked Tesla about bringing her in and what they would want to do. This is their list:
Full Self-Driving Car Computer Retrofit With Electrical Wiring Rework: Customer pre-pay

I suppose that tire rotation might be pointless if they are too worn already, so I guess I should check the tread. And $17 for the cabin filter and another $39 for the labor to do the replacement doesn't seem excessive. The basic brake fluid check is $19.50, but then another $195 if it needs to be replaced (and perhaps another charge for the actual replacement brake fluid if needed?). I'm guessing the alignment is not $146.25 if they check and don't need to do anything, but I suppose they always need to tweak it some. I'm guessing that charge for the wiper blades includes both parts and the trivial labor involved.

Any comments?
Yes, don't do anything except the pins and computer.

Reactions: Timmy T.
It comes from basic chemistry.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic.

It absorbs water from air simply by existing.

There's folks who don't change their transmission fluid ever too and just get a new car often enough to never have a problem- doesn't mean it's a good idea overall.

View attachment 493549

DOT4 absorbs water slower- but the boiling point drops a lot faster when it does (with a 50% drop in boiling point at just 3% water)

Think about how much effort Tesla has put into NOT having routine maintenance items. Yet brake fluid remained on the list.

If the engineers who built the car think it's important to check they might be on to something.

Important to note what they're suggesting every 2 years isn't a CHANGE though- it's CHECKING if you need a change.

Because depending on use, climate, etc you might need a change at 2 years. You might be fine till 4 or 6 years.

But basic chemistry tells us unless you live in a desert you're probably pushing your luck too much after that. Given you live someplace super humid I guess you've been lucky to now or just replace cars often.
Air cannot easily get at brake fluid. There are diaphragms in the reservoir that reduce that and it's not going to get in through the caliper piston seals unless they leak. Cleaning and lubricating the calipers in hostile environments might be worthwhile. The average driver is never going to need brake fluid replacement for the life of the car.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: Msjulie and DR61
Air cannot easily get at brake fluid. There are diaphragms in the reservoir that reduce that and it's not going to get in through the caliper piston seals unless they leak. Cleaning and lubricating the calipers in hostile environments might be worthwhile. The average driver is never going to need brake fluid replacement for the life of the car.

That chart I posted was from a real "sealed" brake system.

Water gets in. Always. It's the nature of brake fluid (other than DOT5 which you're not using)

Average age of cars on the road today is about 11 years.

You certainly CAN go that long without changing brake fluid.

Hope you never need your brakes in a real emergency, especially driving through mountains or anything though.

If Tesla thought they could remove yet ANOTHER fluid maintenance item (as they have coolant and others) they would have- but then that's why they changed it from change to check. If you're too high on water at 2 years they'll tell you to change it. If you're still good they won't. Ditto at 4, 6, etc. When you need it they'll let you know.

This isn't some conspiracy by brake fluid sellers- it's basic chemistry.

Any comments?

Computer upgrade is what I’ve been wondering about! I pray that I get it too when I bring mine in next month.

Has Tesla started swapping out computers en mass yet?

Any comments?

They are supposed to test the brake fluid but only replace it if necessary. And no need to have Tesla rotate your tires. Free at Discount Tire or $25 at Costco.

Reactions: Timmy T.
That chart I posted was from a real "sealed" brake system.

Water gets in. Always. It's the nature of brake fluid (other than DOT5 which you're not using)

Average age of cars on the road today is about 11 years.

You certainly CAN go that long without changing brake fluid.

Hope you never need your brakes in a real emergency, especially driving through mountains or anything though.

If Tesla thought they could remove yet ANOTHER fluid maintenance item (as they have coolant and others) they would have- but then that's why they changed it from change to check. If you're too high on water at 2 years they'll tell you to change it. If you're still good they won't. Ditto at 4, 6, etc. When you need it they'll let you know.

This isn't some conspiracy by brake fluid sellers- it's basic chemistry.
Due to the regen braking the brakes are seldom required even in mountains. Emergency braking lasts for a few seconds. Only the people who go to the track need to concern themselves with boiling fluid or brake fade. I know there are a lot of them.

• Funny
Reactions: Vern Padgett
RE: Brake fluid check. It appears that in addition to water contamination, you can also experience a different ‘wearing out’ of a brake fluid, resulting in corrosion of the brake system components (including ABS). You can check the corrosion level via strips: Phoenix Systems (3001-B) Brake Fluid Test Strips, 100 Test Strips Per Tube, BrakeStrip, FASCAR, Copper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JFJMGO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lRccEbGNYVK31

So my question is - should I test for both (water content and corrosion)? Does Tesla do both tests?