Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it might be. The only long trip we take is 170 miles or so. 200 mile winter range might mean no stop on that trip, 180 winter range would mean a stop. 20 miles can make a difference.

You said something about "spending thousands of dollars for 20 extra miles of range". Not sure where you got that.

You said 250 miles would be acceptable. You said 220 would not. I then used 20 miles as a possible winter range difference. So you're willing to spend thousands of dollars due to those 20ish winter miles of range.

That's where I got it.

Software-limited batteries lets a manufacturer have fewer battery pack models which saves design, manufacturing, storage costs, and improves the efficiency of the car build. A CPO car can be software upgraded to full battery before it is resold. Whether Tesla does that with Model 3s will depend on many aspects and they will decide if it is cost effective.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
You said 250 miles would be acceptable. You said 220 would not. I then used 20 miles as a possible winter range difference. So you're willing to spend thousands of dollars due to those 20ish winter miles of range.

That's where I got it.

Where are you getting "thousands of dollars from?

I spend zero extra dollars if the base range is 250 not 220. Still pay base price either way. You saying a battery upgrade will only give 20 extra winter miles? I wouldn't pay for it then.

Where are you getting "thousands of dollars from?

I spend zero extra dollars if the base range is 250 not 220. Still pay base price either way. You saying a battery upgrade will only give 20 extra winter miles? I wouldn't pay for it then.
{facepalm} o_O

What we mean is, if you want ANY miles above the base range it might cost thousands. It doesn't matter if the upgrade gives you 1 mile or 50 miles extra range.
If you were debating between thousands for a battery upgrade to get those 20 extra miles or to get dual motors, then it's a no brainer get the dual motors. If you don't need the extra 20 miles and/or could suffer a five minute stop at a supercharger (for 20 miles range) don't get the battery upgrade.

The thousands of dollars number is from actual battery upgrade rates from Tesla for the Model S/X and likely the Model 3 as well. It costs a couple thousand dollars for the next higher option.

{facepalm} o_O

What we mean is, if you want ANY miles above the base range it might cost thousands. It doesn't matter if the upgrade gives you 1 mile or 50 miles extra range.
I'm aware of that.{facepalm}

If you were debating between thousands for a battery upgrade to get those 20 extra miles or to get dual motors, then it's a no brainer get the dual motors. If you don't need the extra 20 miles and/or could suffer a five minute stop at a supercharger (for 20 miles range) don't get the battery upgrade.
If the battery upgrade only gets me twenty miles I would not be getting it. Who said it will be only 20?

The thousands of dollars number is from actual battery upgrade rates from Tesla for the Model S/X and likely the Model 3 as well. It costs a couple thousand dollars for the next higher option.
Yes, I'm aware of that. The price for the base model three will be the same if they announce the base range is 220 or 250.

I'm aware of that.{facepalm}
If the battery upgrade only gets me twenty miles I would not be getting it. Who said it will be only 20?
Yes, I'm aware of that. The price for the base model three will be the same if they announce the base range is 220 or 250.

the question remains then... if the base model is only 215-220 mi are you going to purchase the battery upgrade or not?

You claimed that if it got better than the bolt (238mi) then you wouldn't get it but if the model 3 only got 215 then you would purchase the battery upgrade... You are literally saying you'd get the upgrade ($$$) for as little as 23 miles difference in range.
Model 3 Battery size

Last edited:
This is happening on a daily basis over on the main "Elon Musk" thread. It has spiraled downhill into a nightmare of differences in politics, name calling, and offense taking. All because Elon decided to wade into politics on the immigration issue.
I had been following along, but I had to tap out.

Now I'm just hoping that the people TRULY offended by Elon's cunning plan to battle the Administration from within were ahead of me in line, so that maybe I could even take delivery before 12/31.

I think it should go without saying that Tesla is not going to offer a 20-mile battery upgrade. Taking a figure of 3.5 miles per kWh, 6 kWh gets you 21 miles. There's no way they're going to offer a battery "upgrade" of only 6 kWh.

I think it should go without saying that Tesla is not going to offer a 20-mile battery upgrade. Taking a figure of 3.5 miles per kWh, 6 kWh gets you 21 miles. There's no way they're going to offer a battery "upgrade" of only 6 kWh.
The point was that his choice to get the battery upgrade or not depended on only 23 miles of range. It's not worth it to purchase the battery upgrade if you only care about 23 miles. You might as well stop at a supercharger for 5 minutes.

...and yes the battery upgrade would provide more than 23 miles... but the poster only cared about the 23 per his previous post
I hope the smallest battery's range is better than the bolts. If so I can exchange a batter upgrade for another option:)

Last edited:
The change to 2170 batteries will be a game-changer. J Straubel has said the Model 3 Battery could be 30% more energy dense than the Model S. But look at the evolution of the Powerwall 1 to Powerwall 2. 30% may be conservative. The Powerwall 2 has over twice the capacity with only 20% more weight, in a smaller enclosure, and oh yeah, the Powerwall 2 has an inverter built in. Using a conservative comparison, the 2170’s appear to require 19lb per kWh (13.5kWh in 264lb enclosure) compared to 33lb per kWh (6.4kWh in 214lb enclosure) for the old Powerwall using 18650s, or a 57% increase in power density. (Yes I realize these are very rough numbers - just bear with me)

Lets assume the Model 3 is 20% smaller than the Model S. Using a similar battery configuration to the Model S’ 100kWh battery, a Model 3 battery that’s 20% smaller would be 80kWh using 18650s, but could potentially be as large as 125kWh using the (possibly) 57% more energy-dense 2170 batteries. That would be well over 400mile range, perhaps 500. Don’t you think Elon wouldn’t want to wow the world with a 500 mile 125kWh everyman’s sedan? That would be awesome.

Having said that, I realistically think the max battery size will initially be 100kWh, but 125kWh might actually be do-able.

The point was that his choice to get the battery upgrade or not depended on only 23 miles of range. It's not worth it to purchase the battery upgrade if you only care about 23 miles. You might as well stop at a supercharger for 5 minutes.

...and yes the battery upgrade would provide more than 23 miles... but the poster only cared about the 23 per his previous post

I did not say I only cared about 23.

We don't know A, what the base range will be or B, how much more range an upgrade will give. These will factor in my decision.