Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 bio-defense filter? Anyone heard of one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Years ago....I used to think that the Model S and X biodefense air filters were just an over-the-top feature that just made the car more expensive with additional failure points. I couldn't imagine that it would ever be a situation that would call for such a feature.

Welll…..

Now I ask.

Has anyone seen an aftermarket filter that can be used in the Model 3 or is the Model X and Model S's systems more than just a filter?

These filters claim to filter out particles as small as 0.3 microns, which is the same filtration ability as an N95 mask. So if you're worried about covid, and this description can be trusted (no idea if it can or not), they might help. Although I doubt you have to worry much about your car since you generally aren't in the vicinity of infected people when you're driving.

https://amzn.to/2Q9a5f3

Last edited:
Reactions: vickh
If I recall correctly Elon said Model 3 doesn’t have said filters because there isn’t enough room to fit it. So unsure how you would find filters to fit in your model 3

That's only partially correct. There is not enough room to fit that grade of filter *AND* get the same amount of airflow. You can still put on the same class of HEPA filter, but you'll get less air coming through, and your blower will have to work harder, which might cause issues.

Yes, and if A/C in the car is the same as a/c at home or elsewhere, not enough airflow can cause the AC to ice up, and can cause permanent damage. I'd be very careful doing anything to modify the air flow in your ac system.

I have one of those HEPA filters from the amazon link. It smells nice and seems to be working as my airflow is more restricted than before; I have to bump the fan rate up a bit to get the desired cooling/ heating effect occasionally.
Remember that if you want to use it for filtering purposes; you need to turn on recirculate and increase the fan speed to get the desired effect. (keeping it on Auto won't do this for you)

These filters claim to filter out particles as small as 0.3 microns, which is the same filtration ability as an N95 mask. So if you're worried about covid, and this description can be trusted (no idea if it can or not), they might help. Although I doubt you have to worry much about your car since you generally aren't in the vicinity of infected people when you're driving.

https://amzn.to/2Q9a5f3
N95 doesn’t filter Covid-19. If you guys are concerned about it the best way is avoid human being proximity and wash hands with warm water and soap

N95 doesn’t filter Covid-19. If you guys are concerned about it the best way is avoid human being proximity and wash hands with warm water and soap

While it's true that 0.3 microns is larger than the size of a covid-19 virus, it is also true that it is smaller than many of the aerosolized droplets that will be carrying it. But it's a moot point because worrying about filtering out virus particles in a vehicle where you won't be near enough to anyone to catch it (except for your passengers but that's another story, obviously) is stupid.

Reactions: android04
While it's true that 0.3 microns is larger than the size of a covid-19 virus, it is also true that it is smaller than many of the aerosolized droplets that will be carrying it. But it's a moot point because worrying about filtering out virus particles in a vehicle where you won't be near enough to anyone to catch it (except for your passengers but that's another story, obviously) is stupid.
Agree especially on the last part.
My note on N95 is to make sure people understand that wearing a mask is not going to make you virus safe.
Worrying on filtering out the virus from your car is unjustified panic.

You need to bring in fresh air so you can flush the air inside out, fresh air would be through the filter

I have one of those HEPA filters from the amazon link. It smells nice and seems to be working as my airflow is more restricted than before; I have to bump the fan rate up a bit to get the desired cooling/ heating effect occasionally.
Remember that if you want to use it for filtering purposes; you need to turn on recirculate and increase the fan speed to get the desired effect. (keeping it on Auto won't do this for you)

Biologist here. Agree with most of the comments about worrying about the filter and viruses.... I would be more worried about the person seating next to you inside the car.

HEPA filters have 0.3 microns or micrometers, which prevents passage of most particles in the air or even microbes. Laboratory grade filters use 0.2 to 0.45 micron pores, which block bacteria and other pathogens or "sterilize" liquids. Viruses are significantly smaller than that... like 100 times smaller than bacteria depending on the virus and the bacteria.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and TomB985