Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 catches fire after hitting a stopped tow truck in Moscow (video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Passed a truck pulling a trailer 2 days ago that had burned to the frame at an exit. Could you please post a tread about that. Also just in the US there are about 400 car fires a day so worldwide it must be closer to 2000. Are all 2000 fires Tesla's and what are we not hearing about them?
The site is about Tesla’s not ICE cars. BTW my next car is a Red Model S.

Free

It seems that it was model 3. But really who cares when ICE cars burn down everyday.
Not an S but even not sure it is a 3. The hood seams to open the other way ?

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    5.6 MB · Views: 380
  • Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3
That’s a tough one. The tow truck was encroaching into the Model 3’s lane and the 3 caught the corner. I definitely don’t think Autopilot is going to detect this situation with the current design. The brakes were applied just before impact though, which is a good sign. This one is the driver’s fault though, not Autopilot’s.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Here is the most telling video showing the moment of the accident:

РЕН ТВ публикует видео момента ДТП, в котором дотла выгорела "Тесла"

No flames visible in the first few seconds after the accident. It must have started later.
I hope Tesla can grab more of that video to see how soon the fire started after the impact. Also the truck had its flashers on, so i’m surprised the driver didn’t see that. This leads me to believe that he was definitely not looking straight ahead. The car that was going to be towed did not seem to impede vision of those flashers.

Here is the most telling video showing the moment of the accident:

РЕН ТВ публикует видео момента ДТП, в котором дотла выгорела "Тесла"

No flames visible in the first few seconds after the accident. It must have started later.
Just not paying attention. Sure, the disabled car didn’t have any lights on, but the cars behind had all shifted over even before the accident.

A little bit unlucky not to miss the corner of the tow truck, but if he had paid attention, even a small flick with the steering wheel would have avoided the truck.