Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 clicking sound near the rear wheel area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same clicking under acceleration. My appointment was yesterday at the service center. The tech that went on the test ride with me said that it was a Model S issue and he had not seen it on a 3 before. They had the car for an hour, torqued the axle nuts and some suspension components and now the clicking is gone. It was covered under warranty so no charge.

I've had my dual motor for 10 months now and total only 4k miles. In the past 2 months I have heard this same clicking on accel/decel and it seems to be getting louder and more frequent. Scheduled a service appt. for them to take a look and referenced this thread in case it helps them diagnose.

This thread is for the rear wheel area, but I think people have mentioned issues at the front.

Anyway, made a video, and it really seems like this is coming from the inner CV joint, or perhaps the motor unit itself, in my case. Hopefully the video works. Obviously this is from the FRONT axle. To be clear, the other wheel on the front axle is on the ground. So the motor is spinning. But it's an induction motor.

You can see with the rotor in particular, that some momentum develops, and after it stops turning, something else stops turning a while later (you'll see my hand jump as it hits). So there's definitely quite a lot of play here - a couple degrees for sure. In the slow motion you can see the jump as well. Not really visible when looking at the inner CV joint, but that's where the noise appeared to be coming from.

Slow motion goes for a while - you can always skip to about 1:12 for the inner CV clip.

Is this noise similar to what other people have been hearing? Obviously I'll have the service center take a look at some point in the indeterminate future when I am forced to bring it in.

tapping_axle by AlanSubie4Life

Last edited:
This thread is for the rear wheel area, but I think people have mentioned issues at the front.

Anyway, made a video, and it really seems like this is coming from the inner CV joint, or perhaps the motor unit itself, in my case. Hopefully the video works. Obviously this is from the FRONT axle. To be clear, the other wheel on the front axle is on the ground. So the motor is spinning. But it's an induction motor.

You can see with the rotor in particular, that some momentum develops, and after it stops turning, something else stops turning a while later (you'll see my hand jump as it hits). So there's definitely quite a lot of play here - a couple degrees for sure. In the slow motion you can see the jump as well. Not really visible when looking at the inner CV joint, but that's where the noise appeared to be coming from.

Slow motion goes for a while - you can always skip to about 1:12 for the inner CV clip.

Is this noise similar to what other people have been hearing? Obviously I'll have the service center take a look at some point in the indeterminate future when I am forced to bring it in.

tapping_axle by AlanSubie4Life

That sounds very much like what it is... I'd be really curious if someone with a new car or one without the noise could do the same and verify if it's silent. I do not remember hearing it for the first 6 months or so.

That sounds very much like what it is... I'd be really curious if someone with a new car or one without the noise could do the same and verify if it's silent. I do not remember hearing it for the first 6 months or so.

Mine was there from the near very beginning (first noticed it within a few weeks but it is hard to hear from the cabin). Hard to say if it has gotten worse

After torquing the axle bolt this issue came back. I added some oil to the back of the nut and re-torqued it again. A week later it started clicking. I went ahead and put in a service appointment for a couple weeks out. I'm hoping it will go to mobile service but no word yet.

My service center states that noise is caused by normal wear on spline shafts and they only retorqued the axle nuts. They did not lubricate.

Sound still there and is also making a louder sound when turning (sounds like a rock is hitting underneath car). This sound started immediately after the retorque.

Is this because they didn't lubricate? Shouldn't they be properly lubricated? Why are some service centers relubricating and others just saying within spec? wtf?

I was fine with the initial click sound because it was so mute but the sound while turning is a lot louder.

My service center states that noise is caused by normal wear on spline shafts and they only retorqued the axle nuts. They did not lubricate.

I could see the splines not being fully seated into the inner race of the wheel bearing...but I would not describe that as a “wear” issue. Nor would I expect the splines on the end of the axle shaft to be wearing at all, really, ever! I cannot conceptualize how such an issue would cause the problem I am hearing in the video above either.

Mostly sounds like an incorrect explanation. Supported by the evidence that your problem is really not fixed...

Maybe now that the splines are fully seated, the CV joint is at a different extension (axle would be slightly longer now) and is now making a different noise due to whatever problem it inherently has! CV joints have some latitude to “lengthen”.

So I guess there could be some connection between incorrect seating of the axle and the CV joint noises...axle would be overly compressed...but I can’t see that a couple mm would make such a huge difference.

How to Tell if You Have a Bad CV Axle or Half Shaft

Based on this, as I expected, the tapping I am hearing points to the inner CV joint (or the differential).

Last edited:
my service appt is tomorrow morn and they have the pro-forma invoice down as 'half shaft - rear wheel left and right, lubricate at hub'
not exactly sure what that entails but sound like just lube and not replacing the half shafts. with the sound it's making i would honestly be surprised if a proper fix didn't require a parts replacement.

Uber'd to work and back instead of being given a loaner but they updated me to the latest firmware and maps, replaced the recalled charger port insulators, and re-lubed and tightened the half shafts into the hubs which at least for now has eliminated the clicking. Will be interesting to see how long this fix lasts especially considering that clicking must have hammered those couplings out of spec somewhat. These are the type of issues I hate since you know it will eventually show it's face again just don't know when. I am going to guess within the next 6 months and 3k miles. From the way the techs talked about the issue it sounds like a very common problem across all models of Tesla.

I have a clicking sound but it's much higher pitched and seemingly comes from the back right and occasionally left. Mine doesn't sound metallic at all, just a very high pitch click. Only happens at low speeds and RPM's. Is this possibly the same issue?

Was back at the service centre today. The click was already “looked” at previously. This time I was told the clicking is the differential and is normal. They said they would try to record the click to see if it’s within spec and log it for future reference. Have 850km on the car, picked it up in June.
On a side note, I struggle with my doors, as I find they are difficult to close. The tech that drove the car experienced 2 failed door closes so I jumped on the opportunity to get them to take a look. I haven’t gotten the car back yet, so don’t know if they can do anything. What I find odd is that they said they could only look at 1 door given they don’t have unlimited time. When was service supposed to improve? Anyone notice an improvement?

I have a clicking sound but it's much higher pitched and seemingly comes from the back right and occasionally left. Mine doesn't sound metallic at all, just a very high pitch click. Only happens at low speeds and RPM's. Is this possibly the same issue?

this would happen once upon acceleration and again on decel but not always, only when you punch it a bit. it isn't continuous clicking and it happens at any speed depending on how hard you punch it or kick it into regen.

Was back at the service centre today. The click was already “looked” at previously. This time I was told the clicking is the differential and is normal. They said they would try to record the click to see if it’s within spec and log it for future reference. Have 850km on the car, picked it up in June.
On a side note, I struggle with my doors, as I find they are difficult to close. The tech that drove the car experienced 2 failed door closes so I jumped on the opportunity to get them to take a look. I haven’t gotten the car back yet, so don’t know if they can do anything. What I find odd is that they said they could only look at 1 door given they don’t have unlimited time. When was service supposed to improve? Anyone notice an improvement?

at least for me service has been pretty good when they do take a look they get to the cause and fix it without much hassle or playing the blame game. the problem is needing it in the first place and now that they no longer give out loaners it is a bit of a challenge since i don't have a cell phone to coordinate uber with.