Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 clicking sound near the rear wheel area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Replied in another thread also... I started having the exact same problem. LR RWD, Build 3/2018. I'm at about 14K miles. Clicking noise coming from the rear wheels, left louder than right, when accelerating from a stop pretty much every single time. Also happens when letting off the accelerator to slow.

Axle nut click. Easy SC fix... which now requires their diagnosis too (either a second appointment or a longer time sink during same SC visit) plus subject to the new diag fee (which is reimbursed if a given NVH complaint traces back to a warranty repair or goodwill fix). Mobile service will not touch it and will cancel on you last minute before performing the needed 10 minute fix.

Took mine in for service today. Tech confirmed it was the rear axle click and that they had seen it before. "Torqued the rear suspension including rear axles" is what the service invoice says. They mentioned replacing parts was the next step if it returns. Took about an hour. I wonder if it's going to be something that needs to be done yearly and if Tesla will continue to cover it out of warranty.

Just scheduled service for my (stock) 64xxx P3D- w/37k miles, which has been doing this for ~8-10k miles now. Started out sounding like a faint relay click noise, but has since gotten much louder.

Does anyone know if this is covered by the Drive Unit Warranty (120k miles), or the plain 50k mile warranty?

Probably unrelated, but I have been hearing a clicking sound from the front left wheel at low speeds when making a right turn. I noticed this while exiting my work parking garage. I had an appt with Tesla but they sent me a Service Estimate that had a $97.50 charge for labor (diagnostics). I cancelled the appt for now since they couldn't tell me if/when that fee would be waived.

The car is going to a local shop for an annual state inspection so I may ask them to give it a quick look. I did a visual check and cannot see anything that might be loose or rubbing that would be causing the sound.

And my issue appears to have been unrelated. Had it to a local shop for annual inspection. The rotated the tires and the sound is not there anymore (front right)

Why wait? Are they charging for the diagnostic? It's been a couple of weeks and I don't hear the clicking anymore.
When I scheduled my appointment (since cancelled) they sent an estimate out a day or so before the appointment. There was a line item on it for "General diagnosis: $97.50" and I think they would have cancelled the appointment if I didn't e-sign it.

I assume that fee would be waived if they find that the fault was due to a failed part/workmanship but I never did hear back from them about when it might be waived, so I decided to cancel my appt.

Does anyone know if this is covered by the Drive Unit Warranty (120k miles), or the plain 50k mile warranty?

Based on somewhat similar issues people have had with Model S, the answer to this appears to be no - only covered by the 50k mile warranty because the Battery and Drive Unit Warranty is literally just those two items, nothing related.

just noticed this in last couple weeks LR AWD Vin 117xxx...at first I thought it might just be a rock hitting the bottom but it is happening at too slow of speeds...after reading this thread I went out and drove around the neighborhood windows down and heard it quite often when stopping and accelerating at slower speeds. mine sounds like it is coming from either side of the rear.

going into service center in a couple weeks for bubbles on dash, smelly ac and will be adding this to the list. the fact that others are being told that replacement of the axle nut and retorquing will only be a temporary fix kinda sux.

I have a new 3 (2 months) that has a creaking/groaning sound when accelerating or turning. Seems to be related to a weight shift other than braking. More than a click or two, a pronounced grinding sound as if something needs lubrication.
I'm scheduling service soon - but has anyone had the same issue??

I have a new 3 (2 months) that has a creaking/groaning sound when accelerating or turning. Seems to be related to a weight shift other than braking. More than a click or two, a pronounced grinding sound as if something needs lubrication.
I'm scheduling service soon - but has anyone had the same issue??
Yes, I had this issue as did a number of others. You can search “creak” or “creaking”. I took it in for service and the tech heard it, acknowledged the issue and fixed it. (I don’t recall the exact fix- but the noise has not come back).

That was a very distinct “creaking” noise like a suspension creak. This is a “click” - a very distinct click sound.

I just rotated my tires and noticed the noise others are describing in this thread and couldn't figure it out. Google led me here! I'm tired of waiting on service centers or mobile techs, so if it's something as simple as a loose axle nut I was going to take it on myself before I called for help.

I picked up a 32mm socket from Harbor Freight ($5) and removed the axle nut with a breaker bar. It wasn't very difficult to get off, but it was tightened. There was no existing grease so I didn't add any, I just wiped it out with a towel. Since I don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 180lb/ft, I torqued it with my breaker bar as tight as I could (just like the mobile service guy from earlier in the thread did). The noise was gone. Easy fix!