Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The owners manual says about 1% per day, which is 3 miles. If that makes you unhappy, perhaps you shouldn’t have bought the car. I don’t understand why anyone cares about the car using about 3 miles of range per day to maintain its systems and connectivity.

The manual ORIGINALLY said 1% per week with energy saving mode on or 3% per week with energy saving mode off.

Considering that such a mode still doesn't even exist, and that the best owners can realistically hope for is 7 times worse than initially indicated... I'd say there's plenty of room to complain.

Then throw in the facts that many owners are seeing way worse than 1% per day, and that these losses aren't accounted for anywhere in any efficiency ratings, and that Tesla seems to be alone among automakers is suffering such high vampire losses.

Reactions: ord3r and SageBrush
I don’t think so. Do you have documentation of this?

Yep. Check page 105 in the pdf in the link below.

Tesla Model 3 Owners Manual Hits Internet In PDF Form

upload_2018-7-16_10-12-41.png

In my model 3, when I get in I frequently have to wait quite a while (for instance ~10 seconds) for screen to wake up from sleep.
It is black for a while, then the T logo appears for a while, then it finally comes on.
It is like it fully reboots after each car shut off then power back on.
Is this the same for everyone?

I posted about it before, and I am surprised if everyone lives with this without commenting on it.
But I wonder if my car is different... Perhaps in some energy saver mode?
"Power down on shut-off" rather than "hibernate during shut-off"?

I haven't noticed any of the weird noises that others reported like vent gates opening and closing while the car is locked. My car seems mostly silent when it is off.

In my model 3, when I get in I frequently have to wait quite a while (for instance ~10 seconds) for screen to wake up from sleep.
It is black for a while, then the T logo appears for a while, then it finally comes on.

I posted about it before, and I am surprised if everyone lives with this without commenting on it.

I haven't noticed any of the weird noises that others reported like vent gates opening and closing while the car is locked. My car seems mostly silent when it is off.
I've had this happen to me less than 5 times since owning my Model 3 (May 24th).

Can you shift into gear before the screen comes on, or are you stuck waiting for that ~10 seconds?

(photo snipped)
That's the ticket !
Unfortunately, I do not seem to have that option. Here is the screen I think you are mentioning

Model 3 Display.jpg

You give me reason to think that Tesla will implement this feature, hopefully in the near future. I don't at all mind waiting 10 seconds for the car to boot up if I can reduce vampire losses to 3 miles a week. Heck, I bet it takes me a good 30 seconds to remove and store the sun-shields.

Yes I frequently have a long reboot when I get in the car. Definitely annoying. But on the positive side I see 1-4 miles per day in Vampire losses.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I just got in now and waited 30 seconds before the T logo appeared.

With all the stories of cars developing new problems while at the service center, I am really hesitant to leave it with them to check if this is normal or not.

I have about 2000 miles on it now, and it has never stranded me, or stopped running, so the (mildly) annoying delay in being ready at "bootup" time isn't taking me to the service center.

I parked my Model 3 at the airport on a Sunday at about 1:30 pm. It had 196 miles (63%).

When I returned on Friday at about 11 am, it had 168 miles (54%).

So it lost 28 miles (9%) while parked for 5 days, or 5.6 miles per day.

"2018.4.9 700fb88" software.

Results from another stay at airport parking:

205 miles Sunday 7:40 am

182 miles Friday 9:50 pm

v8.1 (2018.21.9 75bdbc11)

That is a little bit better, averaging 4.2 mi/day.

I would like to see less than 1 mi/day however. Maybe Tesla will finally address their issues with high vampire drain with the Model Y?

GSP

(Not sure if it is buried in this thread somewhere)

Has anyone checked if "vampire drain" is worse from higher SOCs?

For instance, if you leave the M3 parked starting at 90% charged overnight, is the amount of drain worse than if you started at 50% ?

Wondering if maybe the thermal management has to do more for a more fully charged battery.

I have wondered this too, and ancecdotally, it seems that way for me. I noticed my worst drain comes after a full charge.

Do you think this is something that can be fixed via software? Or do you think we just got a “bad” batch? If it was a software issue, I’d think all M3 owners would have the same problem...

Anybody when a drain issue that actually got it resolved by Tesla? (Either through bringing it to the SC or through a software update?)

My fiat 500e has zero miles per day vampire loss. Came back from a 2 week trip and it had the same percentage state of charge. The kind of drain reported in this thread would kill the 500e’s small battery in a matter of days.

Come on Tesla, up your game. Offer a low power mode with zero draw except for battery conditioning if necessary. If the potato-mobile fiat can do it, you can too.

My fiat 500e has zero miles per day vampire loss. Came back from a 2 week trip and it had the same percentage state of charge. The kind of drain reported in this thread would kill the 500e’s small battery in a matter of days.

Come on Tesla, up your game. Offer a low power mode with zero draw except for battery conditioning if necessary. If the potato-mobile fiat can do it, you can too.
I wonder if not having a start button makes the drain worse in Tesla's compared to other cars.

The manual ORIGINALLY said 1% per week with energy saving mode on or 3% per week with energy saving mode off.

Considering that such a mode still doesn't even exist, and that the best owners can realistically hope for is 7 times worse than initially indicated... I'd say there's plenty of room to complain.

Then throw in the facts that many owners are seeing way worse than 1% per day, and that these losses aren't accounted for anywhere in any efficiency ratings, and that Tesla seems to be alone among automakers is suffering such high vampire losses.

In my opinion, Efficiency is referenced to driving. That accounts for power used while I’m driving.

Overall cost of ownership would encompass the phantom drain.

I’ve usually plugged Lucy in at night but left her unplugged. Over 14 hours I lost 12 miles. I’m on v24.1. Mine always seems ready to go in the morning, though I’d have to unlock charge port (until I realized there was a button on the charger plug). I think it sleeps and it tells me it’s waking up. Is TeslaFi the app on my phone or is that different?