Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 delivered with 75 foot-pounds lug-nut torque [Update: 75 ft lbs to loosen, not tighten]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve read that you mostly can’t accurately check the “tare torque”, using a torque wrench. Most articles I’ve read indicate that it’s not an accurate way to check.
One article indicated a dial type torque wrench would be more accurate, but the consensus seems to be you can’t tell.

So to the many posts here indicating the torque was at 80Lbs;
Is it possible that it just can’t be read correctly, and the torque was right, or pretty close to 129Lbs ?

When you are experienced with cars you develop an arm torque wrench. Basically if you go to take a nut off and its already somewhat loose, then chances are it was never properly tightened. This is then confirmed roughly by checking how much force it takes to TIGHTEN a different bolt that has not been touched. You will never get super accurate when checking tightening torque afterwards but its close, within 10 or 20% Finding a lug nut move with a wrench set to 80 ft-lbs is quite concerning, and could certainly lead to a loose wheel if the car is driven hard.

As to why its happening from the factory, I have no idea. If the book says 129 ft-lbs then I go with the book.

129 isn't even that high, Cadillac uses 140 on the CTS sedans, Chevy uses 140 on the new C8. They must have hired those inexperienced engineers from Tesla.

All I'll say here is that I've now got 15+ events and never found a loose lug since I began tightening them vs how the car came from the factory. 129 works.

When you are experienced with cars you develop an arm torque wrench. Basically if you go to take a nut off and its already somewhat loose, then chances are it was never properly tightened. This is then confirmed roughly by checking how much force it takes to TIGHTEN a different bolt that has not been touched. You will never get super accurate when checking tightening torque afterwards but its close, within 10 or 20% Finding a lug nut move with a wrench set to 80 ft-lbs is quite concerning, and could certainly lead to a loose wheel if the car is driven hard.

As to why its happening from the factory, I have no idea. If the book says 129 ft-lbs then I go with the book.

I get that you can get a sense of the lug didn’t feel too tight, but I’m willing to bet if you torqued two nuts on your car, one at 129 Lbs and the other at 80Lbs, you would find it challenging to determine a big difference.
I think I was more directing my reply to those on this thread that stated their lug was only at 80Lbs. How do they know this. ?
Again, seems that determining that is far from an exact science. I’m wondering if they could perhaps be wrong.
Who knows.

They must have never had to change a flat on the side of the road.

Use an 18" breaker bar. Put the socket on it and put the assembly on the lug nut with the bar extending to the RIGHT as you're looking at the wheel. Squat down at the end of the breaker bar, interlace your fingers and clasp your hands underneath the end of the breaker bar, and LIFT with your legs.

With this technique, even my wife can easily loosen 129 ft-lb lug nuts.

Reactions: rpiotro
Use an 18" breaker bar. Put the socket on it and put the assembly on the lug nut with the bar extending to the RIGHT as you're looking at the wheel. Squat down at the end of the breaker bar, interlace your fingers and clasp your hands underneath the end of the breaker bar, and LIFT with your legs.

With this technique, even my wife can easily loosen 129 ft-lb lug nuts.
With a breaker bar it is easy, but cars only come with those dinky lug wrenches that fit in the trunk.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I've been there. Sheared the the studs off my old Acura because the last "mechanic" who tightened them used an impact wrench. Ever since I take the wheels off the car before taking them to the tire shop. Always very easy to loosen when they're tightened to the torque spec (even 129ft-lbs)!
1657118903599.png

I've been there. Sheared the the studs off my old Acura because the last "mechanic" who tightened them used an impact wrench. Ever since I take the wheels off the car before taking them to the tire shop. Always very easy to loosen when they're tightened to the torque spec (even 129ft-lbs)!
The only time I’ve taken my Tesla to Tesla they rotated the tires and when I had to change wheels I darn near threw out my back taking them off. I would guess everything tightened to 200+ ft-lbs. Had to bring out the breaker bar for a couple of them. Never again! The worst part is they charged me for this insult.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel in SD
With a breaker bar it is easy, but cars only come with those dinky lug wrenches that fit in the trunk.
With the standard lug wrenches that come with most cars, you literally are supposed to use your feet to stand on the flat end if necessary to loosen the nuts. Given they are about 10 inches long, that means to loosen 129 lb-ft, which you need 160+lbs on the other end, which pretty much means you have to stand on it (sometimes hopping up and down) if you want to easily loosen the nuts. Many of the shops use an impact wrench that over torques the nuts when they install tires, so you won't have an easy time just depending on your arms to do the job.

With the standard lug wrenches that come with most cars, you literally are supposed to use your feet to stand on the flat end if necessary to loosen the nuts. Given they are about 10 inches long, that means to loosen 129 lb-ft, which you need 160+lbs on the other end, which pretty much means you have to stand on it (sometimes hopping up and down) if you want to easily loosen the nuts. Many of the shops use an impact wrench that over torques the nuts when they install tires, so you won't have an easy time just depending on your arms to do the job.
Never needed to stand on a lug wrench to remove a lug nut, personally.

If I stood on a cheap lug wrench I'd probably bend it. (320)

Never needed to stand on a lug wrench to remove a lug nut, personally.

If I stood on a cheap lug wrench I'd probably bend it. (320)
Well obviously depending on your weight, you might not need to apply all of your weight on it, but it'll still be much easier to use your feet with the way a lot of shops overtorque the nuts (doubt with the included 10 inch wrench people will have an easy time just using their arms). For people under 150 lbs, they pretty much will need to apply all their weight.

As for bending it, I'm talking about oem lug wrenches like this, which are solid iron and look unlikely to easily bend (the nut would break loose anyways either way well before the wrench can bend):
s-l300.jpg

Well obviously depending on your weight, you might not need to apply all of your weight on it, but it'll still be much easier to use your feet with the way a lot of shops overtorque the nuts (doubt with the included 10 inch wrench people will have an easy time just using their arms). For people under 150 lbs, they pretty much will need to apply all their weight.

As for bending it, I'm talking about oem lug wrenches like this, which are solid iron and look unlikely to easily bend (the nut would break loose anyways either way well before the wrench can bend):
s-l300.jpg
It will bend if you attach a pipe to it in an attempt to remove the lug nuts that were torqued to 300+ ft-lbs.
What is this discussion even about? Teslas do not come with any wrench. Make sure your lug nuts are torqued correctly and carry the appropriate length wrench if you want to be able to remove them ($20 Harbor Freight 1/2" torque wrench is what I've got in my frunk).

Reactions: gearchruncher