Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
screen-shot-2016-05-10-at-6-51-16-am.png

I guess someone could start to calculate now, but I'd say 184" seems plausible, a lot more plausible than 170"

Reactions: Red Sage
Just for completeness, the article states the L X W X H as 184.1 x 74.2 x 56.5 in with a 113.0 in wheelbase.

The estimates were "based on image scaling, best intelligence." They had much higher resolution images to work with than what's been released, so we can give them the benefit of the doubt. Let's move on.

Just for completeness, the article states the L X W X H as 184.1 x 74.2 x 56.5 in with a 113.0 in wheelbase.

The estimates were "based on image scaling, best intelligence." They had much higher resolution images to work with than what's been released, so we can give them the benefit of the doubt. Let's move on.

That seems oddly specific for an estimate....Anyone think they snuck a tape measure in there?

Reactions: Red Sage and garsh
That image clearly shows that the prototype 3 glass roof is untinted. The production version obviously will not look like that, it will have similar tinting like the S and X in that photo. I think Tesla left the tinting off the 3 prototype glass roof to emphasize how much glass is being used. Which is fine.
View attachment 175983

I guess someone could start to calculate now, but I'd say 184" seems plausible, a lot more plausible than 170"

Randy Carlson over at Seeking Alpha is an actual engineer. He did image scaling (as MT claims to have) based upon the known tire sizes and his estimate is 169 inches so there is quite a difference between those 2 estimates.

Since the whole MT splash today is nothing more than rehashed stuff from the earlier photo-shoot turned into click bait today, I'm going to go with Randy's reasoned analysis:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3962789-tesla-model-3-love-first-sight

Randy Carlson over at Seeking Alpha is an actual engineer. He did image scaling (as MT claims to have) based upon the known tire sizes and his estimate is 169 inches so there is quite a difference between those 2 estimates.

Since the whole MT splash today is nothing more than rehashed stuff from the earlier photo-shoot turned into click bait today, I'm going to go with Randy's reasoned analysis:

Gee, I'm an engineer too and have done my own scaling, and the fact is that his analysis is really flawed. His wheelbase to length ratio is not even in the ballpark. There is not a chance in hell that the Model 3 is more than 2' shorter than the Model S:

comp.jpg

Never mind.. his estimate is very far off the mark.

Reactions: Troy

Seriously? You're taking someone at Seeking Alpha seriously about anything Tesla related? When have those people been right about anything Tesla related?

I hate to keep going back to this, but it's my current frame of reference, and definitely benefits from "recency bias" in my brain....

my Audi A3 sedan is 175"L x 70.7'W(not counting mirrors) x 55.8"H

The Model 3 is very similarly sized, other than apparently being 9" longer (twss).

and as noted in Reveal Part 1, the design of the dash allows everyone to be seated a little further towards the front, increasing room for all of the occupants.

It will easily fit in my garage, and if the dimensions are accurate, I shouldn't have any issues driving and parking in Boston, especially important since I'm taking a job IN the city, and might drive in and skip the train on occasion. :D

Reactions: Red Sage
It's OK to disagree, no need for alarm.

Here is his reasoning Greg. What did he miss? I've been reading him for over a year and his overall predictions have been the most accurate I have been able to find. I would love to find an even more reliable source if you can point me there.

upload_2016-5-10_15-41-34.png

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
It's OK to disagree, no need for alarm.

Here is his reasoning Greg. What did he miss? I've been reading him for over a year and his overall predictions have been the most accurate I have been able to find. I would love to find an even more reliable source if you can point me there.

View attachment 176038

As I've posted several times on another thread, in the picture the wheelbase is at the near side of the car. The overall length is in the middle of the car several feet further from you. Perspective shortens the apparent length of the car relative to the wheelbase. If you apply that exact same method to estimate the length of the Model S from pictures you come up with the highly accurate conclusion that the Model S must be 182". Whoops.