Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A different aproach to Model3 dimensions.

Elon Musk is a tall boy 6 feet two inches (1,88m known height + shoes). Catch Elon close to Model3 and that's what we obtain.

5MiQpZ.jpg

From the next photo we can see ratio height:wheelbase equals 2:1
and ratio lenght:height equals 3:1

cFNjQK.jpg

I think real Modle3 prototype dimensions are lower than expected.
Who will be closer?
First pic is Elon next to the Model S.

57" height, so you're kinda close. I guess.

I'm pretty sure that's what I wrote. There is no 'bigger' case for a battery pack on Model S and Model X, only different capacities. So, I don't know why you started this with, "No".

"...the exact same size and shape externally..."

The battery pack in the following video (starting at 7:20) appears to show a different battery pack arrangement and size then either the Model S or X.

Although I've posted several times before about this, I'll try again to show how any comparison between wheels or wheelbase or height and apparent length of a photo of a car is fatally flawed. The side of the car is several feet closer to you than the front and back of the car (which stick out the most in the middle of the car). Perspective shortens their apparent length. Don't believe it would make too much difference? Try your techniques to estimate the length of the Model S as a test. Here's what I get starting with a known wheelbase of 116.5 for the Model S and trying to estimate the length:

View attachment 174912

The apparent ratio of wheelbase to length on a photo of a Model S is about .64, which yields an estimated length of 182", obviously a far cry from the actual length of 196".

If the Model 3 was really 166", here's what it would look like parked between an e-Golf and a BMW 3 series:

View attachment 174913

It looks like the size of a sports car, not a five seater sedan.

Or how about this. Which looks like a more likely size comparison with the Nissan Leaf.

A hypothetical 166" Model 3 versus Leaf:

View attachment 174915

A hypothetical 177" Model 3 versus Leaf:

View attachment 174916

I stick with my estimate of 177", with a longer than normal wheelbase to give it the same interior size as the 182" BMW 3 seri
Although I've posted several times before about this, I'll try again to show how any comparison between wheels or wheelbase or height and apparent length of a photo of a car is fatally flawed. The side of the car is several feet closer to you than the front and back of the car (which stick out the most in the middle of the car). Perspective shortens their apparent length. Don't believe it would make too much difference? Try your techniques to estimate the length of the Model S as a test. Here's what I get starting with a known wheelbase of 116.5 for the Model S and trying to estimate the length:

View attachment 174912

The apparent ratio of wheelbase to length on a photo of a Model S is about .64, which yields an estimated length of 182", obviously a far cry from the actual length of 196".

If the Model 3 was really 166", here's what it would look like parked between an e-Golf and a BMW 3 series:

View attachment 174913

It looks like the size of a sports car, not a five seater sedan.

Or how about this. Which looks like a more likely size comparison with the Nissan Leaf.

A hypothetical 166" Model 3 versus Leaf:

View attachment 174915

A hypothetical 177" Model 3 versus Leaf:

View attachment 174916

I stick with my estimate of 177", with a longer than normal wheelbase to give it the same interior size as the 182" BMW 3 series. But if I'm wrong I bet it's longer than my estimate, not shorter.

I agree

The battery pack in the following video (starting at 7:20) appears to show a different battery pack arrangement and size then either the Model S or X.
Yes. As I have mentioned elsewhere... And as has been stated by JB Straubel... And as was shown in the video as you mention... The battery pack design for Model ☰ (whatever its capacity) is COMPLETELY different from those used in Model S and Model X. It is 'new technology'.

I was simply pointing out that people in this thread keep intimating that a 70 kWh battery pack and a 90 kWh pack, for Generation II vehicles -- the Model S and Model X -- are different shapes and sizes from each other. They are not. The external physical dimensions of those battery packs is the same, no matter their capacity, or the vehicle they are used on. What changes is the number of modules within those packs, and what those modules contain, and the voltage of the pack as a whole for discharge and recharge, relative to the overall capacity.

Visited the Raleigh store on Friday. Person at the desk took me + 1 other Model 3 reservation holder in back to look at an S & chat. He indicated the size of the Model 3 was targeted to be in between a 3-Series BMW and an Audi A4. Online I see the following:
BMW 3 Sedan length = 182
Audi A4 length = 186

This person also stated that the battery would be a 75Kw, and did not seem aware of Elon's tweet the day before (?) that it would be < 60, so take the above with a grain or 2 of salt.

This person also stated that the battery would be a 75Kw, and did not seem aware of Elon's tweet the day before (?) that it would be < 60, so take the above with a grain or 2 of salt.

It wasn't Elon, from Tesla confirms base Model 3 will have less than 60 kWh battery pack option, cost is below $190/kWh and falling
Tesla’s Vice-President of Investor Relations, Jeff Evanson <snip> and that the base Model 3 will be offered with a battery pack option smaller than 60 kWh, like Bereisa assumed.

Reactions: BlairC
According to Motor Trends, who had exclusive access to Model 3, the next gen car is 184.1 inches long. For comparison, Bolt and Leaf are 20 and 9 inches shorter.

See slide 11/27

The article talks about Model 3 looks and it's well worth a read:

"The Model 3 is impressive for its surface purity and avoidance of excess. It’s clean and refined with similarities to the Model S. This is a significant design challenge since you don’t have the length and width to resolve the same forms"

Last edited: