Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scaling from pictures should get us within about 5%. The more pictures, the better. Of course the production version could easily differ by that much anyway.

That's not saying much. The average of all the guesses plus or minus 5% is a range from 166" to 184". Yep, most of the guesses fall in that range.

Here's my estimate, which I believe is at least as good (or bad) as the others. I found this earlier post comparing the wheelbases to be pretty compelling, since it's a single camera capturing both cars:

DLuMtRE.jpg

Using that as a starting point I then scaled Model S and Model 3 side pictures to match.

comparison.jpg

Scaling for a somewhat shorter wheelbase gives the apparent height to be roughly equal, which I took as a good sign (also, although it's hard to see on the overlay it ended up with the Model 3 wheels being slightly larger than the Model S wheels, another good sign since they are 20" wheels and the picture of the Model S I used has 19" wheels). Then rather than trying to calculate the wheelbase to length ratio (which I have posted in the past I think is quite inaccurate) I calculated the ratio of total length between the two cars. My guess is a wheelbase of about 112-113" and a total length of about 177".

Last edited:
That's not saying much. The average of all the guesses plus or minus 5% is a range from 166" to 184". Yep, most of the guesses fall in that range.

Here's my estimate, which I believe is at least as good (or bad) as the others. I found this earlier post comparing the wheelbases to be pretty compelling, since it's a single camera capturing both cars:

Using that as a starting point I then scaled Model S and Model 3 side pictures to match.

View attachment 174047

Scaling for a somewhat shorter wheelbase gives the apparent height to be roughly equal, which I took as a good sign (also, although it's hard to see on the overlay it ended up with the Model 3 wheels being slightly larger than the Model S wheels, another good sign since they are 20" wheels and the picture of the Model S I used has 19" wheels). Then rather than trying to calculate the wheelbase to length ratio (which I have posted in the past I think is quite inaccurate) I calculated the ratio of total length between the two cars. My guess is a wheelbase of about 112-113" and a total length of about 177".

Good analysis based on my earlier image. If I may point out something - Looks like the images you used have been taken fairly close to the vehicles, which means that even though the images have been taken perpendicular; there is a perspective angle that hides the true front and rear at the center of the bumper. The actual car length is probably a few inches longer, putting the M3 length closer to 180".

A more accurate analysis can be taken by comparing images taken from very far away with a long lens, effectively making the angle from the front and rear of the car to the camera as close to 90 degrees as possible.

Reactions: Red Sage
Good analysis based on my earlier image. If I may point out something - Looks like the images you used have been taken fairly close to the vehicles, which means that even though the images have been taken perpendicular; there is a perspective angle that hides the true front and rear at the center of the bumper. The actual car length is probably a few inches longer, putting the M3 length closer to 180".

A more accurate analysis can be taken by comparing images taken from very far away with a long lens, effectively making the angle from the front and rear of the car to the camera as close to 90 degrees as possible.

While that's true, I figured it was equally true of the Model 3 and the Model S photos, which is why I compared the ratio of lengths and then multiplied by the actual length of the Model S. Not perfect, I know, but I figured it was close.

I should have said we can get within about 3 inches, which works out to about 5% difference in height but much less difference in length.

I did this for the Bolt and my largest error was in the height. I was over by 2.2 inches.

I'm amazed that the wheel base is so close to the MS.

They will have to fit a relatively big battery in, at least for the top version. The current 70kWh battery takes up all the space between the Model S wheels, the 90 version even needs to be stacked at the back. So fitting in a battery roughly the size of a current 70 pack, in a narrower space would be really tricky, if the wheelbase is a lot smaller.

Packaging in the floorpan has lots of benefits,cargo space, handling... but it needs a long wheelbase, or the pack gets too high.

The more I read here, the more I think I'll be driving a similar sized car to my current one, once I take delivery of my Model 3.

My 2015 A3 is 175.4in long, height of 55.7in, and width of 77.1in (w/mirrors out). Wheelbase is 103.8in.

When you consider the lack of interior space needed for ICE components, including the transmission hump, it's not inconceivable that the Model 3's interior will be "bigger" and the wheelbase longer.

It makes even more sense when you consider that Elon keeps comparing the Model 3 to the Audi A4........which, 2 generations ago, was similar in size to what the A3 is now.

Next time you see a newer A3 sedan in the wild, stand next to it and take a look. I think length and width will be similar, but the Model 3's "butt" will sit higher because of that glass roof.

They will have to fit a relatively big battery in, at least for the top version. The current 70kWh battery takes up all the space between the Model S wheels, the 90 version even needs to be stacked at the back. So fitting in a battery roughly the size of a current 70 pack, in a narrower space would be really tricky, if the wheelbase is a lot smaller.

Packaging in the floorpan has lots of benefits,cargo space, handling... but it needs a long wheelbase, or the pack gets too high.
I believe the case for a Generation II battery pack, whether Model S or Model X, and regardless of capacity, is the exact same size and shape externally. Only the contents of the modules inside those battery packs change with capacity. The Model S 40 and Model S 60 did have different voltage than the Model S 85 though, both for power delivery and for charging rates.

The wheels on the reveal models are definitely 20-inch (see the Motor Trend video discussion). But remember that that is the bead diameter, not the actual wheel flange diameter, which will be larger. I and others have tried using the tire diameter, which we know to be 26.5 inches. The problem there is that the edge of the tire is difficult to see. From these and other measurements, I am pretty sure that the M3 length will end up being in the range 175 to 180 inches, unless there are significant changes to the overhangs in the final version.

I believe the case for a Generation II battery pack, whether Model S or Model X, and regardless of capacity, is the exact same size and shape externally. Only the contents of the modules inside those battery packs change with capacity. The Model S 40 and Model S 60 did have different voltage than the Model S 85 though, both for power delivery and for charging rates.

No it isn't, the bigger version has 16 modules, while the smaller one has 14. The 60 had some blanks in it, to reduce the capacity, but I have heard its different with the 70. Since all of those modules are in series, thats where the voltage drop comes from. If they would have changed only the interior of the modules, they could have gone for the same voltage, but they would have had even more blanks in cha module.

No it isn't, the bigger version has 16 modules, while the smaller one has 14. The 60 had some blanks in it, to reduce the capacity, but I have heard its different with the 70. Since all of those modules are in series, thats where the voltage drop comes from. If they would have changed only the interior of the modules, they could have gone for the same voltage, but they would have had even more blanks in cha module.
I'm pretty sure that's what I wrote. There is no 'bigger' case for a battery pack on Model S and Model X, only different capacities. So, I don't know why you started this with, "No".

"...the exact same size and shape externally..."

Added 1.66" to rim diameter, I think this is more like it:

Although I've posted several times before about this, I'll try again to show how any comparison between wheels or wheelbase or height and apparent length of a photo of a car is fatally flawed. The side of the car is several feet closer to you than the front and back of the car (which stick out the most in the middle of the car). Perspective shortens their apparent length. Don't believe it would make too much difference? Try your techniques to estimate the length of the Model S as a test. Here's what I get starting with a known wheelbase of 116.5 for the Model S and trying to estimate the length:

MSSize.jpg

The apparent ratio of wheelbase to length on a photo of a Model S is about .64, which yields an estimated length of 182", obviously a far cry from the actual length of 196".

If the Model 3 was really 166", here's what it would look like parked between an e-Golf and a BMW 3 series:

comp.jpg

It looks like the size of a sports car, not a five seater sedan.

Or how about this. Which looks like a more likely size comparison with the Nissan Leaf.

A hypothetical 166" Model 3 versus Leaf:

m31.jpg

A hypothetical 177" Model 3 versus Leaf:

m32.jpg

I stick with my estimate of 177", with a longer than normal wheelbase to give it the same interior size as the 182" BMW 3 series. But if I'm wrong I bet it's longer than my estimate, not shorter.

Last edited:
Although I've posted several times before about this, I'll try again to show how any comparison between wheels or wheelbase or height and apparent length of a photo of a car is fatally flawed. The side of the car is several feet closer to you than the front and back of the car (which stick out the most in the middle of the car). Perspective shortens their apparent length. Don't believe it would make too much difference? Try your techniques to estimate the length of the Model S as a test. Here's what I get starting with a known wheelbase of 116.5 for the Model S and trying to estimate the length:

The apparent ratio of wheelbase to length on a photo of a Model S is about .64, which yields an estimated length of 182", obviously a far cry from the actual length of 196".

Good point with the sanity check on the Model S. It may seem surprising that the perspective distortion is that high, but it really is there from your measurements.

View attachment 174912

If the Model 3 was really 166", here's what it would look like parked between an e-Golf and a BMW 3 series:

View attachment 174913

It looks like the size of a sports car, not a five seater sedan.

Or how about this. Which looks like a more likely size comparison with the Nissan Leaf.

A hypothetical 166" Model 3 versus Leaf:

View attachment 174915

A hypothetical 177" Model 3 versus Leaf:

View attachment 174916

I stick with my estimate of 177", with a longer than normal wheelbase to give it the same interior size as the 182" BMW 3 series. But if I'm wrong I bet it's longer than my estimate, not shorter.
Expectations could be the biggest distorsion on real Model3 dimensions.estimate.
Go back to Model3 presentation and forget what you expect from Model3.

Or how about this.
Expectations could be the biggest distorsion on real Model3 dimensions.estimate.
Go back to Model3 presentation and forget what you expect from Model3.

I'm happy to go along with "we just don't know". However, I can guarantee that any analysis that compares apparent car length from a photo with other dimensions of the car is wrong, and horribly underestimates the length of the car.