Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This analysis seems to line up with my impressions from the reveal pictures and videos as well the in the wild pictures/videos: http://seekingalpha.com/article/3962789-tesla-model-3-love-first-sight?page=2

Feature Actual Predicted
Wheel/Tire Size
20" - 235/35ZR20 20" - 265/35R20
Wheelbase 114.6" (scaled) 114.6"
Length 168.5" (scaled) 182.5" (BMW 3 Series)
Height 54.5" (scaled) 52.5" (4" < Model S)

I am ready to give up guess/scaling.

Even a Honda Civic/Toyota Corolla are ~182", these among the smallest sedans.

Hard to believe the Tesla would come in a foot shorter. Though I would like it. I like small cars.

I agree, that is pretty short, though it does seem like the 3 is relatively short and generally pretty small. I do expect it to be shorter than its competitors. Nonetheless, I have a hard time seeing it being shorter than 176" (1995 BMW 3 Series).

I think this is a good comparison of the Model 3's size. I compared it to a photo of the updated Audi S3 Sedan just released today, taken from the same side angle. Knowing the S3 has 19" alloy wheels, and assuming the Model 3 has 20", I scaled the photos accordingly. I did 2 comparisons. In the first Iined up the front wheels, demonstrating the relative length of the Model 3's wheelbase (very long). In the second I lined up the front extremity of the two cars, which shows the two cars, although the proportions are different, are actually very similar sized - almost the exact same overall length. So looking at this, the Model 3 should be comfortably smaller than the current B9 A4 and F30 3 Series, maybe similar size to the previous E90 3 Series.

Model 3 vs A3 01.jpg
Model 3 vs A3 02.jpg

This analysis seems to line up with my impressions from the reveal pictures and videos as well the in the wild pictures/videos: http://seekingalpha.com/article/3962789-tesla-model-3-love-first-sight?page=2

Feature Actual Predicted
Wheel/Tire Size
20" - 235/35ZR20 20" - 265/35R20
Wheelbase 114.6" (scaled) 114.6"
Length 168.5" (scaled) 182.5" (BMW 3 Series)
Height 54.5" (scaled) 52.5" (4" < Model S)

From the silver picture, using 21.5" visible wheel diameter, I calculated (by measuring the image), that the wheelbase is 114" and the overall length is 168". So very close to the above numbers.

Reactions: Red Sage
I am almost certain that Snowdog's overlay is the most likely - ditto the others that have the competing BMW/Audi overall lengths similar to the Tesla.....

So the Model 3 wheelbase will be way more than all the competing German cars but the overall length will be similar.

The Model 3 height may be slightly taller though due to the skate board and going for max interior space/comfort.

To make this visually work best the wheels will have to be BIG - 22"?

Due to the low CoG for the Model 3 and lower weight than the MS, the Model 3 should still be agile - top models could have active rear steering to complete the package!

I will eat my hat if the Model 3 is appreciably shorter than the BMW 3/Audi A4 and positively gulp it down if it is much lower.

Has Tesla not revealed any details and were there no tape measures at the test drives??

To my eyes the Model 3 proportions have already made the 3-series/A4 etc just look clumpy.

Reactions: Red Sage and Bennny
I am quite surprised – if it really is only about 170" (430 cm) long, it would be considerably shorter than the 3 series (about 182" / 460 cm) or the A4 (about 186" / 470 cm).
The Chevrolet Bolt is about 164" (415 cm) long by the way.

I wonder if this is the Model 3's final length.
By increasing the length of the rear only, they could create a bigger trunk opening, which Elon says they are working on.

Elon Musk, Twitter: "@MThorpXXi We are working on enlarging the opening. Aperture will be big enough for almost anything."

Perhaps the additional length would also help to achieve the desired drag coefficient of 0.21.

So maybe we will see a slightly longer rear in the production Model 3. But of course this is just pure speculation :)

Further to the S3 Sedan comparison, I did one for the F30 3 Series. The 3 Series photo I used has 18" wheels. The cars are aligned by the front wheels. It's interesting that the wheelbases are actually very similar, as well as the front overhang. The Model 3's windscreen is more forward and more sloped, while its truncated rear is where it lost length against the 3 Series. So if Tesla does end up extending the tail slightly it will only be marginally shorter than the 3 Series.

Model 3 vs F30 3 Series.jpg

Reactions: Tes LA and Red Sage
Ugh.

Lots of posts about vehicle length. Although I agree that is important, for me, in thinking of the Model 3's acceptance in the European market, where narrow streets, parking sites, garages all are the norm, I'd really want to know its overall width.

In concert with that, I can't recall much in the discussions subsequent to the Reveal's test rides how comfortable the three-abreast rear seat was. Any input here?

Reactions: jkk_
A little more difficult with the width of the Model 3. Length is easy as wheels are a comparable element. To estimate the width the only thing we have is the height. So if we can estimate the height of the car (using a side profile comparison of a similar height car) we could get an idea of the width. Can anyone help with that?

A little more difficult with the width of the Model 3. Length is easy as wheels are a comparable element. To estimate the width the only thing we have is the height. So if we can estimate the height of the car (using a side profile comparison of a similar height car) we could get an idea of the width. Can anyone help with that?
I calculated the height as 54".

I think my calculations of 114" wheelbase and 168" length are probably pretty spot-on. Here's why I think that: If you use the overall tire diameter of 26.5", half of that is 13.25". If you subtract the wheelbase from the overall length, you get 54". If you divide that in half, you get 27". This is basically the distance from the center of the wheels to the end of the car. If you then subtract half of the tire diameter from that number, you get 13.75". This is basically the distance between the tire and the end of the car. The way the car looks, I don't think the overhangs are any longer than that. I also think the 114" wheelbase number is pretty accurate as the Model S wheelbase is 116.5". I think 2.5" less for the 3 is totally in line.

I think this is a good comparison of the Model 3's size.

I'm not sure what the dimensions are, but I have to think you are off. Elon has said it is about the size of an Audi A4, maybe you should compare it with that. I can't imagine it really being smaller than a 3 series, but maybe it is.

I will say - if you're right, I think that seems like a good size. I would prefer something slightly smaller than a mid-size sedan.

I'm not sure what the dimensions are, but I have to think you are off. Elon has said it is about the size of an Audi A4, maybe you should compare it with that. I can't imagine it really being smaller than a 3 series, but maybe it is.

I will say - if you're right, I think that seems like a good size. I would prefer something slightly smaller than a mid-size sedan.

I used the silver side view for my calculations, and that picture is not distorted in any way that I can see. So I feel that my calculations are pretty accurate.

Holding a ruler up to the screen on Brick_top's photos and making some rough calcs, I get a wheelbase of 113-115" and overall length of 166-169". Close enough.

I'm interested in this discussion because the garage where I intend to park the Model 3 (in 2018) is somewhat limited in space. It comfortably holds a Mazda Miata (154" L x 68" W), but I don't have a lot of leeway. If the Model 3 length is about 166-170", that will fit fine. Much longer (for example, the oft-cited BMW 3 length of 182"), and I may have to do some demolition.