Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 door seal kit - road noise reduction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pleased to say that my car doesn't seem to have any particular creaks or excessive wind noise. However with music off or at low volume there's more road noise from the wheels than I would like so I'm thinking of trying an add-on door seal kit.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for a reliable & good quality product or alternatively are these a waste of money?

You're likely to hear as many positive views as negative (or at least ambivalent) ones, to be honest.

I've heard BASEANOR mentioned a few times - https://www.amazon.co.uk/BASENOR-Tesla-Rubber-Weather-Reduction/dp/B07R13DYYY

As said above your mileage may vary. I'm not entirely convinced there isn't an element of confirmation bias involved in these.

EDIT: Or maybe it was the GOLOHO kit - https://www.amazon.co.uk/GOLOHO-Tesla-Model-Self-Adhesive-Weatherstrip/dp/B07T58JDM8

I wish there was some way of indicating quality on Amazon, there seems to be so many versions of this with different (probably made up) manufacturer names.

Reactions: M3noob
I fitted the GOLOHO kit, I sure it has made an improvement, however, there is still a fair amount of road noise, I suspect a lot of it comes from the wheel wells.

Also not helped by not really driving much since doing it. Some of the kits have extra sound proofing in there, some of it is particularly fiddly to fit, I gave up trying to do the B pillar one :)

A lot of road noise comes from the back. Go for a ride whilst sitting in the rear and you may be surprised how much louder it is back there. If I was going to be attacking noise, apart from some early easy pickings, I would be concentrating on the rear luggage space.

A lot of road noise comes from the back. Go for a ride whilst sitting in the rear and you may be surprised how much louder it is back there. If I was going to be attacking noise, apart from some early easy pickings, I would be concentrating on the rear luggage space.

I just got the rear shelf noise reduction thing from Torque Alliance. Will fit it today and let you know, gotta do some shopping :)

I'm curious about the front wheel well noise reduction products. Seems expensive but perhaps worth a dB or two on long trips.

fitted full door seals about a week in to owning mine, can't say it made that much difference, maybe a bit. The road noise seemed to reduce significantly for me as the tyres bedded in, so maybe it would have been more noticeable a difference if I'd installed them after the tyre noise had reduced rather than before.
It does mean there's less cleaning needed on the inside of the doors mind :p

I fitted the BASENOR door sealing kit. Before doing so I did two 10 minute drives as the baseline. One on general roads averaging around 40mph and one on motorway at 70 mph. Noted the average dB on each trip. Repeated same trips after fitting. Result was 1db reduction in both cases. A little disappointing considering results I had seen in YT videos. Possibly a more solid clunk on door close but it is hard to tell really.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and DaveW
Any update on this?

I just installed it myself and went for a quick spin to the shops. Can't say I noticed any difference in the noise coming from behind me when driving. To my relief it certainly didn't add any noises or rattles, which my car seems to have had many!

That wasn't really the reason I had purchased it, more for the neater look (I got the frunk insulation for that reason as well). On that front I am very satisfied!

A bit of contortion required to get it installed. Alas, a meaningful road trip needed to evaluate.
Agreed. I fitted mine today and the best way was to put the seats down and lie with legs out the boot.
I also added some spare panel sound deadening material I had left from years ago.
32D9F53C-07E7-4B16-A243-3693EDCC6DF5.jpeg
D7E3A82B-5D8D-4EB0-B5AE-D5F1E9AC89D4.jpeg

I take it you have seen this? https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/my-biggest-improvement-with-road-noise.193345

I'm also surprised (although respectful!) that the seal kits work - you already have 2 layers of seals so I'm impressed the 3rd one add so much. I wonder if it is a particular area or gap that lots of noise can be attributed to? Mine is pretty good for wind noise, but thanks to @DaveW for the link (on his site) to seals direct. A few m of 4,5 and 6mm inserts on the way for the little gaps that are left.

Reactions: DaveW