Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 doors/windows/mirrors + Ice = trouble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I miss where you explained what you started out with: PPF wrap should be sprayed with silicone? Please elaborate, thx.

I started out the trip with nothing but PPF wrap, which snow and ice seem to like to stick to as I learned during the road trip. On its own, it will not repel moisture during freezing temperatures. Next road trip, I'm going to try to spray a layer of silicone to see if this helps wick away snow/ice.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I started out the trip with nothing but PPF wrap, which snow and ice seem to like to stick to as I learned during the road trip. On its own, it will not repel moisture during freezing temperatures. Next road trip, I'm going to try to spray a layer of silicone to see if this helps wick away snow/ice.

I noticed that on the night of the first snow storm. Gonna try the nano spray and see how effective that is.

I noticed that on the night of the first snow storm. Gonna try the nano spray and see how effective that is.
I would agree that a nano sealant (i.e. optimum sealant) would be a cleaner solution option than silicone lubricant. I currently have the nano sealant on and waiting for the 2nd snow storm to see if it works. I'll report back.
I recently sprayed silicone lubricant on the window seals where the velvet is and I find when I roll down my windows, the silicone goes all over the window with streaks (not sure if I put too much when i applied, but rather have more than to have a stuck window). All is to say that silicone lubricant is messy especially if you have to close your frunk, you'll get the silicone lubricant all over your hands and then you're going to touch all your interior i.e., steering wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: swotam and adaptabl
s a great winter driver)
Hope your silicon idea works.
Alternate thought: I have had 3M PPF on my sports car since new. Because the car's front end is low, the first summer was a graveyard for bugs, which really stuck on the PPF. Then I learned a simple trick from a fellow driver: spray the front end with a thin layer of PAM no-stick cooking spray, directly on the PPF. PAM leaves no residue, is cheap, and has worked very well. Not only does it prevent dead bugs embedding themselves in the coating, whatever there might be are easily washed off at the car wash. Might work for snow/ice too.

Reactions: oakvillemike
s a great winter driver)
Hope your silicon idea works.
Alternate thought: I have had 3M PPF on my sports car since new. Because the car's front end is low, the first summer was a graveyard for bugs, which really stuck on the PPF. Then I learned a simple trick from a fellow driver: spray the front end with a thin layer of PAM no-stick cooking spray, directly on the PPF. PAM leaves no residue, is cheap, and has worked very well. Not only does it prevent dead bugs embedding themselves in the coating, whatever there might be are easily washed off at the car wash. Might work for snow/ice too.
Too bad there isn't an engine or else you can fry some eggs in the front. :p

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030MTZ4M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

upload_2018-12-6_11-11-19.png

On my Model 3., last night the J1227 adapter got stuck in the car. Tried everything to get it out. Used the manual pull tab and it actually tore in two, but didn't release the adapter. I'm on the latest software update (just got an update on Tuesday)

Left the car in the garage overnight, tried in the morning and it just slid right out.

Anyone else having issues with chargers getting stuck in the charging port?
My UMC got stuck in the port while away from home for a kids hockey tournament. Luckily it was sunny and the lock released after it warmed up. On the previous software the lock wasn't engaging now it is again. I don't want to lose my UMC but it was embarrassing to have to scrounge a ride to the arena. This needs a real solution and soon. I won't be AC charging away from home again until it is fixed. I also broke the manual release.

The day I took delivery, it was above freezing. Drove up that evening to a nearby mountain ski town, where it was -10C. Some minor sticking (no snow, didn't wash car that day). Bought some rubber door seal treatment stuff from Dupont (Dupont Door Seal Treatment | Canadian Tire) and put it on the driver's side only door. So far no other issues with any other doors/windows, but will see if this door is easier than the others in the coming week when we are supposed to get about 2 ft of snow then later rain, then snow again. I'm thinking I'll find any issues in the next week or so!

(I also bought an extra scraper, which now resides in the trunk, along with a small bottle of deicer [largely alcohol]).

Got my Model 3 in the GTA last Tuesday and so far no issues. Car stays in the garage overnight so for the most part it doesn’t get super cold and it’s been dry lately.

I went to a pay and spray last night (temp was around -4°C) to give it a rinse and then drove about 10Km on the 401 to “blow dry” the car.

Checked the car in the garage afterwards and there was some ice buildup on the door handles that could potentially cause trouble if left for a while so they got a wipe. Doors were ok to open but all four windows were wet around the door seal area so I left the doors open for a bit and wiped the windows dry. Again, if left unattended I can definitely see them freezing.

No problems this morning after 10 hours in the garage.

That said, I definitely wouldn’t want to wash it or get it really wet when it’s super-cold like we sometimes get in Jan/Feb. I’ve applied Gummi Pflege around the door seals so we’ll see how that holds up once things get colder and snowy.