Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prediction: Card is BTLE with inductively rechargeable battery. Charger is in the cup holder. We saw him swipe because the battery was low and it had to revert to backup mode.

The key is too thick for RFID. I have a pack of rfid stickers, barely thicker than paper. My many rfid cards are no thicker than regular credit cards. Finally, rfid would create too much interference with other rfid stuff (phone, credit card, door badge) we all already have.

Edit: the thickness may just be from the case/holder in which case this whole prediction may be bogus.

So if I need to unlock the car from a distance, pop the trunk before I get to it, or hit a panic button I'm gonna have to use my phone?

The Model 3 has no power liftgate, so a trunk button is uncessary. The only time I ever press anything on my Model S keyfob is to open the trunk, otherwise it stays in my pocket the entire time.

The "keycard" is a genius cost savings idea and damn convenient when you think about it. I never drive my car without my driver's license, and anything that my DL can fit into, the keycard will too. The key fob is really a bulky nuisance most of the time...

It is pretty much standard in new cars that you don't have to touch the fob to get in. There isn't much that would make me reconsider buying the 3, but that would be one. I was so looking forward to not having to dig keys out while trying to shuffle two kids into the car.

Funnny. Will you cancel your reservation if it's not throw in your purse or jacket?
Having been on these forums for Model S, X and now 3 lunch I now know to expect insane speculation and impassioned debated about the most trivial things leading up to launch.... but this is the "peak showstopper comment" in my book!

The Model 3 has no power liftgate, so a trunk button is uncessary. The only time I ever press anything on my Model S keyfob is to open the trunk, otherwise it stays in my pocket the entire time.

You don't need to have a power liftgate to pop the trunk remotely. Pneumatic struts or springs can do it just fine. Worst case I think people would want some way to unlock it without having to go to an app or sticking a key in the trunk or going into the car and flipping a latch. Now, to close the lift gate remotely you'll need it powered but that's more of a luxury than anything.

I use my key fob all the time to open the trunk on my current car, and it doesn’t have a power lift gate.

Funnny. Will you cancel your reservation if it's not throw in your purse or jacket?
Having been on these forums for Model S, X and now 3 lunch I now know to expect insane speculation and impassioned debated about the most trivial things leading up to launch.... but this is the "peak showstopper comment" in my book!
This is something that will affect you every single time you use the car. It’s not trivial and certainly more of a problem than 99% of the issues in other threads.

I expect some form of keyless entry. If it were to come out that you had to take out a key (in whatever form) to open the doors it would make me reconsider my purchase.

• Funny
Reactions: ikjadoon and DR61
Eh, I hope its NOT a keycard, or we get a traditional fob in addition to it. I use my Model S fob all the time because I don't trust walk-away lock.

With a fob in a purse, its easy for it to be too near a cell phone and suddenly you get locked out of your car while getting the mail or running back inside the house to grab something. So I disabled walk away lock and manually use my fob to lock the car each time.

I expect some form of keyless entry. If it were to come out that you had to take out a key (in whatever form) to open the doors it would make me reconsider my purchase.
Some form of keyless entry is now the norm available in even economy cars. For people with small kids it might indeed be a deal breaker - if they have to fumble with keys when holding a kid/baby seat in one hand, when it is raining.

I didn't buy BMW i3 because the suicide doors made it virtually impossible to take small kids out of the car when parked in tight spaces (including my garage).

Now that my kids are a little older, this may not be a deal breaker - but would be highly inconvenient.

Don't know why that would be. I drove a lexus GS a few weeks back to get an idea of what $30k could buy in a car. The thing was loaded with every convenience feature you could imagine. I could do without power seats, auto dimming rear view mirror, heated steering wheel, upgrade sound package, etc. But as I am often going to the car with two kids and armloads of crap, the most exciting feature on the whole car was not having to touch the keyfob to get in.

It may not seem like a big deal to you (or most people for all I know), but it's something I know I can get in a cheaper car with similar performance.

Now, that said, I don't expect that Tesla will require any sort of swiping on the car or other stuff that has been suggested here. It would just be silly on a modern car.

Reactions: oktane and Runt8
Now, that said, I don't expect that Tesla will require any sort of swiping on the car or other stuff that has been suggested here. It would just be silly on a modern car.
Tesla wouldn't do what people have suggested. Keyless access has been established by the auto industry over 15 years ago. The key remains in your pocket and you just touch the car with your hand to unlock and lock the door, or trunk. Needing a silly phone app and/or swiping a card for entry would be inconvenient and a technological regression.

What if the point of the Card fob was related to the Tesla Network, ride sharing?

ZipCar uses a card to unlock the car. But then you need access the car's specific fob inside.

This way, everyone in the Tesla Network would have a Card, but it wouldn't work unless it was activated for the specific car.

No need to leave your normal fob in the armrest for the renter.

Clearly the car is using the AP cameras to perform gait analysis and facial recognition coupled with inbuilt fingerprint sensors in the door handles. Body temperature, weight and heart beat of the occupant determines eligibility to pilot the vehicle.
The card is for gas money ;)
The man who mistook his Model 3 for an FF91. :p
FF is also introducing advanced facial recognition technology – called Arrival Interface – allowing drivers and passengers to unlock the car without a key. A camera installed in the B-pillar between front and back seats can accurately identify the user’s face to grant vehicle entry. Similarly, interior cameras use this technology to recognize users and automatically adjust interior settings to their preferences. FF 91 can not only recognize faces, but also facial expressions and moods it uses to auto-prompt an experience to match, using music, temperature, scent, content, massage and more. Users’ facial recognition data is saved natively and securely in the vehicle.

In addition to adjusting interior preferences via facial recognition or mobile device connectivity, FF 91 is the first car where you don’t need a key. The keyless welcoming system recognizes users as they approach the vehicle, greets users by opening the door and proactively adjusting to customized FFID settings inside. Similarly, the FFCTRL app allows users to customize and control their in-vehicle experience, get real time vehicle status reports, summon your vehicle, and more.