Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just hope they can provide NFC Valet cards in other form factors.. I want something like the one below that I can clip onto my gym/running gear. Neither a phone or credit card shaped NFC is ideal for wading across rivers and crashing through scrub. Either that, or an App for my Garmin watch would be fine..
rfid-ic-key-tags-keyfobs-token-nfc-tag-keychain-mifare-13.56mhz-arduino.jpg

IMO, ditching the fob is a small scale replay of the falcon wing door debacle: it's a solution for a non-existent problem that opens the door (as the phone or swipe card may or may not) to all sorts of new and unintended consequences. In other words, a completely unnecessary step in the direction of weirdmobile-ness.
Robin

I couldn't disagree more to this statement. The less things I have in my pockets, the better. Especially if I can get rid of a bulky one-usage key fob.

The smartphone app might not work for everyone, but I think the "back-up" (real credit-card sized that you can actually put in a wallet) is a very good one.

I mean, I would prefer just an NFC credit card I had to swipe on the pillars than a normal, no need to click it, key fob. (For pocket real estate savings.)

I couldn't disagree more to this statement. The less things I have in my pockets, the better. Especially if I can get rid of a bulky one-usage key fob.

The smartphone app might not work for everyone, but I think the "back-up" (real credit-card sized that you can actually put in a wallet) is a very good one.

I mean, I would prefer just an NFC credit card I had to swipe on the pillars than a normal, no need to click it, key fob. (For pocket real estate savings.)
I agree. The only key I carry with me is my Tesla key. It's not on a keyring, so it just lives in the bottom of my pocket (in a FobPocket, of course!), which is fine, but I'll be happy to use my other two things that are always in my pockets (phone, and wallet) as methods of entry. It's an interesting thread, but we're over-thinking it.

• Using US statistics but for the 77% of people with a smartphone (and very likely 90%+ for prospective Tesla buyers), use your phone. If the app is implemented correctly, it'll just work. I have multiple location and BT LE apps running on my phone that never crash, they 'just work' all the time. I also have some that do not (hello, August), but that's another story.
  • For the remaining few percent, and for when you go surfing, running, etc, use the NFC card. Yes you can stamp a hole through it if you need to (it's the same thickness as a credit card). "Tap and Pay", aka contactless payment is ubiquitous in many countries, and it works really well. Just tap your card on the reader, and that's it, you just bought your tube ticket or burger, or whatever it is.

Bottom line, both technologies are mature enough to make them suitable for what Tesla are using them for, and the primary technology (phone) has a backup (NFC card). So it's all going to be OK think?

Reactions: ohmman

I wonder if you can lock the car with the NFC card?

I agree. The only key I carry with me is my Tesla key. It's not on a keyring, so it just lives in the bottom of my pocket (in a FobPocket, of course!), which is fine, but I'll be happy to use my other two things that are always in my pockets (phone, and wallet) as methods of entry. It's an interesting thread, but we're over-thinking it.

I totally agree. Although I like the key fob, it is bulky and a little risky to carry in a pocket as it can, unplanned, unlock the car or open doors when you are still close to the car. I would love to get rid of the fob. Already got rid of my last key.

Tesla does not know how to do keys , they made the hole for a key ring too small on the Model S, so on Model X they got rid of it all together. As for functionality, I turned off my Model X's lock to close feature, since the lock button isn't recessed I've had the doors close on me a couple of times while getting out. I turned it off mostly in consideration of my passengers, I know to watch out, they may not. And the other day at a bank drive through I slid back in my seat after getting my money, and accidentally opened the passenger side falcon wing door. Now instead of making a better Key, they just eliminated it, I'm not impressed. I definitely like my i3's better, the handle is touch sensitive, touch the grid on the top to lock, and simply grab it to unlock. I don't have to get my phone out, and get into an app, or pull a card out of my wallet. Though you can use the app on the i3 if you choose to, I love honking the horn when I've spotted people looking at my car.

Disclaimer: this comment was meant as a review.

Above quote from an elektrek.co post to add some perspective from a mod X and i3 owner. I'm used to his i3 way of opening/locking the vehicle. So...yeah...it seems that the Tesla key fobs did/do suck.

Last edited:
Wow I never thought about this, wondering now how it locks if your phone is dead and all you have is the Vallet Card.
Exactly. Or if you're parked too close to where you leave your phone for the evening (will the car unlock itself for any and all passersby?), or if both your phone and your car are bricked. How will you open the doors then? Maybe with a real brick.
I understand my "I don't carry a stinking smartphone all the time" is an edge condition most people will not have. And for those who do carry a phone at all times, not having to also carry a toy car fob is a definite plus. But there will be other edge conditions early buyers will get to discover, and they will be annoying, perhaps expensive, maybe even dangerous. And pretty much unnecessary.
Robin

Exactly. Or if you're parked too close to where you leave your phone for the evening (will the car unlock itself for any and all passersby?), or if both your phone and your car are bricked. How will you open the doors then? Maybe with a real brick.
I understand my "I don't carry a stinking smartphone all the time" is an edge condition most people will not have. And for those who do carry a phone at all times, not having to also carry a toy car fob is a definite plus. But there will be other edge conditions early buyers will get to discover, and they will be annoying, perhaps expensive, maybe even dangerous. And pretty much unnecessary.
Robin

If your car is bricked I fail to see how any fob will help.

IMO, ditching the fob is a small scale replay of the falcon wing door debacle: it's a solution for a non-existent problem that opens the door (as the phone or swipe card may or may not) to all sorts of new and unintended consequences. In other words, a completely unnecessary step in the direction of weirdmobile-ness.
Robin
I guess it depends on your perspective, I think ditching the fob (just like the FWD's) is a brilliant idea that solves many problems. With each innovation, other cars are starting to look weird and Tesla is starting to look smart.

Reactions: DR61
If you want to do anything else than unlocking the door (e.g. popping the trunk, opening all doors for passengers, opening all windows to let hot air out etc.), pushing a button on a fob is clearly more convenient than having to unlock a phone and open an app first. I think the best solution would be if Tesla offered an optional fob for those who prefer it.

BTW, found this interesting (from 2013!):

Add-on module auto-unlocks your car when your phone is near - Roadshow

Robin
This reads like you don't understand how the Tesla fob works (or how many other fobs work).

If you are parked too close and your fob is not in a signal blocking cover, it can also leave the car unlocked. Top Gear did this trick with the Challenger.

If your car is bricked, your fob will not be able to open the door. Unlike certain fobs, there is no physical key in the Tesla fob (the newer Challenger fob is the same).

I didn't see this anywhere in the thread, so here it goes....I'm very excited about the bluetooth solution and am optimistic that it will "just work", but I do know from experience that not all apps are equal and I've seen good and bad apps. And I've seen bad apps from very large corporations. To me, one of the most important aspects of this app is that it properly minimize battery impact. I think it will have to constantly be looking for the car via BT LE, so I hope my phone can still "sleep". Don't most of us have experience with apps that have crazy draining properties? My solution is just uninstall, but that would be hard in this case. In this case, I'm sure hoping that Tesla has the right app developers for both iOS and Android to make this app bulletproof and minimize the battery impact. Anyone else think it's ironic if my Tesla app is inefficient and wastes my phone battery's capacity?