Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if you are in an underground parking garage, or where there isn't LTE coverage for the car?
Bluetooth will work fine. The car will unlock as normal.

And, if you had de-activated a phone at the exact time that your car doesn't have an LTE/Wi-Fi connection then the car will get that message from Tesla the next time it has an Internet connection. Meanwhile, you'll be able to track the car via GPS, etc.

What if your conventional keys are stolen at the gym? There's no end to such scenarios.

Last edited:
How is the phone system necessarily going to have more limited functionality? The Model S fob only has 3 buttons and 6 functions.

Do note that the Model 3 app may not necessarily be the same as the existing Model S/X app. It will likely have dedicated fob actions put into it as it uses the same bluetooth channel as the fob (not through the cellular connection).
I do *not* want all doors to unlock as I approach the car. That can be a serious security risk. According to screenshots of the Model 3 console you can set it to only unlock the driver door automatically on approach. I would like to be able to unlock the other doors only when I have passengers. On many cars this is done by a double tap on the fob.
Huh? You pop the trunk of the Model S by double tapping the rear button on the fob. Of course it does not open automatically.
I don't see how taking away practical every day functionality "makes sense in the end". There is no advantage in not offering an (at least optional) fob. Those who are happy with the more limited functionality of the purely phone-based system can continue using that.
The trunk unlocks when the handles present. I've used the fob maybe three times. In settings select present only driver door.

I like having a key fob because I can just reach into my pocket (or even feel the shape of it through my pants) and push the lock/unlock buttons as I see fit, without having to look at it, much less unlock my phone and do other shenanigans. For just approaching and having it unlock, that can work easily, but if you want to do anything else (default not to unlock passenger on approach, but have option of double tapping unlock or similar to do so, or to unlock trunk/frunk, etc) you'll have to open the Tesla app which requires both removing the phone from my pocket as well as unlocking the phone before I can even access the Tesla app. Highly inefficient!

if you want to do anything else (default not to unlock passenger on approach, but have option of double tapping unlock or similar to do so, or to unlock trunk/frunk, etc) you'll have to open the Tesla app which requires both removing the phone from my pocket as well as unlocking the phone before I can even access the Tesla app. Highly inefficient!
I believe on the S and X the trunk will also unlock when you approach and can then be opened by pressing the button on the trunk.

I believe on the S and X the trunk will also unlock when you approach and can then be opened by pressing the button on the trunk.
I really hope this is the case with regards to the trunk - I'm assuming there is a button on the trunk and I don't see any security issues with the trunk automatically unlocking. Not sure how the frunk works - there's obviously not a button to open it (unless it's hidden in the Tesla logo) so I don't see any way around having to unlock your phone and open the Tesla app. Make it slightly less useful to me but I wasn't planning on using it much unless the trunk was full. I'll probably end up keeping the charging cable and emergency bag in there.

What I mean is without unlocking your phone, opening the Tesla app and navigating to a "lock" screen (assuming that the app even has the functions that are normally supported by a fob). That's obviously less than convenient, especially if you are carrying bags or something.
I worried about this for about 30 seconds. If my hands are full, then getting to any device is inconvenient. When this happens today, I generally walk to the trunk and push the hidden button to pop it. If this still works the same on the model 3, I am OK with not having to navigate an app with my hands full. I will assume tesla will put a physical button on the trunk area (as I type this I'm wondering!)

... Yes, that is the problem, but an even bigger problem for me since I have the phone with me only 10% of the time, the other 90%, no.
So, I think Tesla might handle statistical outliers like you in one of 2 ways.... Either offer you a bluetooth fob at some expense, likely more than you want (recouping all development costs from very few people) OR just say RFID and smartphone is the standard answer and let the 3rd party developers solve it. I've read enough people in this thread to acknowledge you exist, but you represent such a small percentage of Tesla buyers, that I am not sure how Tesla will handle you.

I think you are missing that Tesla hasn't released any details on how the system will work. Hotels that have implemented a phone key using BT still require an active Internet connection to verify that you are still authorized before unlocking the door/parking garage gate. I would think that Tesla will do the same thing, otherwise if someone steals your phone you have no way to stop them from stealing your car other than a remote phone wipe, assuming that they haven't pulled the SIM already.

So don't just assume that you can use a phone without an Internet connection to start/control your Model 3.
Just like how NFC systems work, I imagine all the authorization/deauthorization happens on the sensor side (in this case the car side). It may need a internet connection on the device to first set it up (you have to obviously install the app first at least and log in), but I don't imagine it would need one every time you open the door.

And to be clear, I'm talking only about the fob functionality here. The other extras the app offers (which are designed to work beyond bluetooth range) would need a internet connection just like it does today.

Last edited:
Just like how NFC systems work, I imagine all the authorization/deauthorization happens on the sensor size (in this case the car side). It may need a internet connection on the device to first set it up (you have to obviously install the app first at least and log in), but I don't imagine it would need one every time you open the door.

And to be clear, I'm talking only about the fob functionality here. The other extras the app offers (which are designed to work beyond bluetooth range) would need a internet connection just like it does today.
I can pretty much guarantee you won't need an internet connection every time you unlock the doors. There are too many places with no cell service (i.e., parking garages, mountains, etc, etc, etc) to make that a requirement.

So, I think Tesla might handle statistical outliers like you in one of 2 ways.... Either offer you a bluetooth fob at some expense, likely more than you want (recouping all development costs from very few people) OR just say RFID and smartphone is the standard answer and let the 3rd party developers solve it. I've read enough people in this thread to acknowledge you exist, but you represent such a small percentage of Tesla buyers, that I am not sure how Tesla will handle you.
Your reply quoted here was in regards to a comment about people who don't carry a cell phone with them all the time, and your take on it was that this is a corner case. Perhaps so. The problem is, this thread has listed quite a number of "corner cases", each one potentially dismissible in a similar fashion. Collectively, however, I cannot believe that what we are dealing with is a "corner case". Rather, it seems to me like there is a serious problem here, where moving a critical safety and usability aspect of the operation of this vehicle to a cell phone in pursuit of a future vision is going to cause problems in the here-and-now, and really needs to be re-thought.

If I'm wrong, and in fact all these have been considered, then there needs to be a clear document which lists each issue and the associated mitigation that has been put in place, and critically, those mitigation actions cannot be mutually exclusive. Properly designed, the system should not force me to choose between safety and convenience. For example, if the car unlocks as I approach, I must have a way to prevent it from unlocking the passenger door along with the driver's. That's a safety requirement; not negotiable (ask my wife). Ok, so it's a setting. Fine. But at the same time, I must be able to reasonably and quickly unlock the passenger door, without having get fully into the car and tap a bunch of buttons on the center screen, and without changing that setting. Is there a passenger door lock/unlock button on the driver's door? I presume so, but looked at the posted pictures and couldn't find any evidence of it. And even so, that's the solution we had in the last century. A key fob in your pocket with buttons to push is the accepted standard for this; one click unlock, two for the passenger. Tap-and-hold or double-tap of the keycard would be ok. Cell phone app or car configuration setting is not sufficient because they are not dynamic enough. When approaching your car, you need to be alert and aware of your surroundings. The last thing you want to do in a sketchy parking garage is to take out your cell phone and poke at it. Bad Tesla. No biscuit.

Reactions: N5329K
Before punching a hole in the card, please check you are not punching a hole in the antenna embedded in the card !
(You generally can see the antenna wire by shining a bright light through the card, see attached image. Or just google "how to disable NFC in credit cards" and do the opposite of what they are saying !)
nfc_atmcard-lightrayed.jpg
Yes, of course. I presume we'll either be guided on this or find out quickly enough. There are also inexpensive holders one can use, though they will add a bit to the size.

Perhaps we are outliers on this forum but I am not so sure of that. The problem is are we outliers when you have 500K reservations? This forum consists of an inordinate number of techy folks who understand and use the technology but that doesn't make them a majority of the total reservationist population.

The fact is no one on this forum knows for sure how the technology is going to work for sure. I don't mind embracing the new technology as long as it is as simple as the technology I am currently using. At this point, the way some people have described it, it is not as simple. I think there will be a huge demand for a NFC devise that doesn't require the format of a traditional Smartphone. I am looking at a couple right now, small format Bluetooth Smartphone or a Bluetooth Smartwatch. There will be options for those of us who don't need to be tethered to a traditional Smartphone with a phone plan.

I would pay $100 to have a cool car FOB, just saying. I don't think they have to add anything crazy to enable a FOB to work with the car and just sell them to us? I will use the phone and the little card..... but I have been waiting years to get a Tesla car FOB lol :)

I would pay $100 to have a cool car FOB, just saying. I don't think they have to add anything crazy to enable a FOB to work with the car and just sell them to us? I will use the phone and the little card..... but I have been waiting years to get a Tesla car FOB lol :)
Maybe when Hot Wheels comes out with a Model 3, you can tape your keycard to it and, voila, you have a key fob. :)